Hillthwaite
Windermere Manor Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$213
TripAdvisor
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
The Lamplighter(Windermere)
1,546 results
All reviewssauna and steam roomsconescourse mealclassic roomsmall poolon arrivallovely hotelafternoon teabay windowhigh standardlake districtmy partnerbooked this hotelcream tearestaurant staffbreakfast and dinnershort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We went for a nights stay from a living social deal in February for a 30th birthday. I had mentioned it was a Big birthday celebration and was slightly disappointed that they didn't make a bit of fuss. Not that we were expecting anything extravagant but the receptionist even seemed out out to provide me with a champagne bucket with ice. Cream tea was included which was served In a cosy room with a log fire. Scones were home made but very dry and crumbly which made them hard to eat without falling apart. The room was nice with a great view of lake winds mere. There was a jacuzzi bath that I paid extra for but wasn't really worth it as it was really loud and not very relaxing. The meal was also included in the deal which was adequate but no wow factor. The service was slow and my wine came half way through the meal and was warm! Don't bother getting the cheese board with a supplement as it was quite small and you didn't get enough cracker for cheese. The breakfast the next morning was nothing to write home about but was nice enough. There is a also a pool and sauna area, the steam room was a bit weird and quite small but a nice added extra. Prop banal best to get changed back in your room as there is limited changing space and facilities. Overall a nice hotel but not somewhere that I would go back to which is a shame.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for your review and I certainly take your criticisms on board especially with the staff involved. We try and go out of our way to make sure that you enjoy your stay and are comfortable so I am sorry that you felt we hadn't hit the spot this time. I hope you enjoy returning to the Lake District in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Having just returned from our second visit to the Lakes, I can honestly recommend this hotel for a short restful break. Credit to all of the waiting staff who did their upmost to make you feel welcome. Breakfast was worth waiting for, both hearty and wholesome. The choice of breakfasts was second to none. The four-course evening meal was worth more than the three star the hotel is credited with both in presentation and quality. The service at both meals was spot-on! My only minor criticism would be that we were given a "cosy double" bed, which was not a double but more of a three-quarter sized bed, and that the shower totally lacked any pressure. But, this has not deterred us from returning as soon as we can. All-in-all a very comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms E15 and E16 are worth spending that little bit extra.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the food with us. In the cosy double rooms we have a standard double bed (4'6) and we do not have any three quarter beds in the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed last night on a DB+B basis. From the moment we arrived everything was 1st class. The room we stayed in(33) was excellent. Very clean with a large bathroom including a jacuzzi bath and separate shower. The view out of the window was lovely, looking over the lake and hills in the distance.
The evening meal was cooked to perfection. The steak was one of the best I've had for a long time. The other courses that my partner and I had were also faultless. There was a good selection of wines and local beers at the bar. Breakfast was also cooked really well and more then enough.

Cannot fault this hotel and will be back.

1  Thank Julian P
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad that you liked Room 33. Thank you for your lovely comments about the food especially breakfast as its an important part of anyone's stay. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We visited for one night and we couldn't have asked for better.
The service we received was 1st rate. Our 'cosy' room was more than cosy, with views over the mountains and lake. The food for our evening meal was delicious.
We would definitely come again and recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review and I hope that next time you are able to stay a little longer. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here 12th March 14 for two nights which were exceptional. I have been reading some comments on here and there are obviously some people that you will never please.
From the moment we arrived until we checked out the staff were very attentive and the atmosphere in the hotel was so calm and welcoming. The food was cooked and served to the highest standard.
Book in here you will not be disappointed, unless there is no pleasing!
And l forget the biscuit for Archie:)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your excellent review and for the lovely comments about the staff. Don't worry about the lack of a biscuit for Archie....he's currently on a diet as he is a very greedy Labrador!! I look forward to seeing you again hopefully for a little longer. Thanks again!!