“Great Location”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
southwest
“Great Location”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Quite disappointing as a Hotel, expensive for what it is,first night was great the service in the restaurant was excellent even though they were very busy,hoever this changed on the second and third night once we had complained that the shower screen leaked all over the bathroom floor every time we used it!

Room Tip: There are plenty of other Hotels in the Area.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We have now fixed the shower screen and apologise for the lack of service in the restaurant on your remaining two nights. This is indeed totally unacceptable and we have spoken to the restaurant manager regarding this matter. I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Barnsley
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon 10years ago and then again in June this year, the hotel has had some refurbishment, we had a gorgeous room with a lake view, it had a large comfy bed and corner jacuzzi and separate shower cubicle, settee in front of the window and large tv. Jade on reception was really friendly and helpful, we had a window seat in the restaurant, food was fab, the main reason we returned here because the food was fab 10 years ago aswell!! Overall excellent stay

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Joy2hols
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your excellent review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Jade is also delighted by your good comments which I am sure she will tell us about over the next few weeks!! We look forward to welcoming you back to Hillthwaite soon.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

our stay at this hotel was very pleasant and the staff where very helpful . the room ( No 11 ) was perfect and had a lovely view of the lake.After the evening meal sitting on the terrace with our coffee was very relaxing and peaceful .the dinner menu was well thought out and the food was very well presented .the bed was very comfortable .the bathroom had a spa bath which was very relaxing after a long day walking in the hills and around the lake .could not have wished for a better hotel to spend my birthday and our 36 th wedding anniversary. thanks to everyone there for a great break.

Room Tip: No 11 was great and you could see the lake.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review and we are so pleased that you choose to spend your wedding anniversary with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night break at the hotel which incorporated a lake view room, evening meal with one bottle of free wine, tea and scones on arrival and two breakfasts.

Our room was a tad on the small side but perfectly acceptable, it was very clean with a big comfy bed. Our bathroom benefitted from a Jacuzzi bath which was very nice and the bedroom itself looked out over Lake Windermere (Room 29).

The hotel itself is very traditional with a conservatory, living room and reception with bar and also another lounge with beautiful views. Its well maintained and the outside terrace and gardens are perfect for watching the stunning sunsets out over Langdale and beyond.

We found the food to be the star of the show, the evening meals not only tasted superb but were also presented in a lovely manner, breakfast was also very good. A special mention to the dining room staff who seemed mainly Europeans, they were efficient and worked hard. I was left with the impression that maybe the staff are pushed a little to hard because at times there seemed to be an excessive wait between food courses, I don't know if this is due to a lack of staff in the kitchen or actually out in the dining room itself. However that was our only gripe in what was a very pleasant stay at the Hillthwaite House Hotel. Its well worth a visit.

1 Thank ReedRover
Thank you for your good review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I apologise for the wait in between courses which I will of course mention to all the restaurant and kitchen team. We will improve on this as this is unacceptable. Thank you for mentioning the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Burntwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the 3rd and 4th June and I believe it best to summarise our views by reproducing the letter I subsequently wrote to the hotel:
Dear Sir,

As a treat for my 75th birthday, my daughter booked me and my wife, plus herself and her husband, a two day stay in your hotel on the nights of the 3rd and 4th of June.. They stayed in room 34 and we were given room 207 (Garden 2). She paid extra for 'superior' rooms as she wanted this treat to be special, and I must say that overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

From the start the staff were polite and helpful, particularly the restaurant staff, and the food outstanding. We also received complimentary bottles of wine and a cream tea, as part of the booking deal, which we enjoyed very much.

On the negative side, I have to say that I felt the room my wife and I stayed in (No 207 - Garden 2) not to be of the standard expected of a superior room. Although of a reasonable size, it was very gloomy with only one small window looking directly out into a bank of various plants and foliage, making it very dark. The wardrobe was pathetically small and about half of our clothes had to be left in our suitcase as they would not fit into it. There was a drawer missing in the sideboard and the mirror tucked away in the corner served no purpose as you could not access it. The room was, however, very clean with a comfortable bed and adequate tea making facilities.

The bathroom and bathroom linen were also clean and fresh but there are some faults with the bathroom which I would like to bring to your attention. The window is plain glass and next to the path which is at head level. I was standing by the toilet on one occasion when another guest walked passed and gazed up at me - luckily I was fully clothed at the time. I would suggest that the glass be changed to an obscure pattern to prevent any possible embarrassing incidents in the future.

The bathroom also needs some extra hooks and possibly another towel rail. With only one towel rail and nowhere to hang clothes or wet towels when you are using it, the only options are to go in naked or put your clothes on the floor. Certainly not acceptable in a 'superior' room. Because of the location of the bath/shower, you should also consider putting in a support handrail on the wall inside the bath area, as its very awkward to get in and out of the bath with the only support being the existing towel rail or radiator. Finally, the bathroom badly needs an extractor fan. After only one shower almost everything had to be wiped down with a towel as it dripped with condensation and made using the mirror to shave etc, impossible. Room 3, the one my daughter occupied, did have an extra towel rail and hooks behind the door, making it much more convenient for them to use.

However, I believe the negative points I mention need to be attended to, and that you should seriously consider whether room 207 be let in the future as a 'superior' room, which in my opinion, it certainly was not.
It is not my intention to make this a letter of complaint. As I said above, and despite the weather, we did enjoy our stay. The food was excellent, the staff friendly and chatty, with nothing appearing to be too much trouble.

I do hope you will consider this letter in the spirit with which it is intended.

Yours sincerely

I meant what I said in the my letter, and would have expected some form of acknowledgment from the hotel, but this has not been forthcoming. I wonder if any other patrons feel the same was as I do about this particular room, but the biggest disappointment was in not receiving any sort of comment or acknowledgement to what I felt were genuine concerns.
Pat Crouch

Room Tip: See my comments above
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Patrick C
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Firstly, thank you for your review and I can only apologise if you did not receive the response that was posted to you. We always reply to every guest's comments especially when it is regarding their stay. I do, however, have a feeling that you mixed up the room types as both of the rooms in which you stayed are classic rooms not superior rooms as you claim. All of our superior rooms have lake views. Your daughter may have upgraded from a cosy room to a classic on the offer which seems more likely. We have made some changes to the room in which you specified including a black out blind in the bathroom and hooks on the door. Thank you for the excellent comments about the staff I am sure they will appreciate it. Please don't hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this further and I hope that we can welcome you back to Hillthwaite soon.
Chorleywood
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Wonderful Windermere hotel overlooking the fells on one side and the lake on the other. Spectacular views, very comfortable bed in large room, first class dining and friendly staff. We hired an electrically motored boat for 2 blissful hours and had a really great time. Later we visited the Beatrix Potter attraction, fascinating for both adults and children alike. We also drove down one side of Windermere lake, parked the car and walked downhill towards the end of the lake. Lots of tables and benches to sit and admire the views. Even the sudden downpour didn't spoil a superb day in this amazing Cumbria countryside.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking fells quiet and lovely views from the window.
1 Thank inkychorleywood
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
What a fantastic title! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and discovered some of the local attractions that Bowness has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
guisbough
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The room dark and needs up dating overlooked a hedge and car park. The food poor veg cold and not cooked enough,, our seat in dining room right next to kitchen surrounded my cooking smells frying and vegetables followed by shout of service , which of course meant door opening and closing as staff went in and out hence constant kitchen smells. The dining room also looked tired and in need of re vamping. very disappointed. I will say that the majority of staff were very pleasant and gave good service

Room Tip: I hope that they have better luck than us.
1 Thank allan j
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I was very disappointed to hear about your dining experience. Please rest assured that we will speak to our kitchen team and I apologise for the noise from the kitchen. It does not bode well for your overall dining experience. We are having a revamp of the dining area at the end of the year and am sure you will be happy with the changes we have in store. Thank you for your positive comment about the staff whom will certainly appreciate the kind feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!