“exactly what I was looking for”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Flintshire
“exactly what I was looking for”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Not always easy being a solo traveller but this hotel really fitted the bill. I was made to feel very welcome from beginning to end of my 3 night stay. My dble bedroom was lovely and I especially like the modern bathrooms. The restaurant has a lovely outlook and the fine dinning makes one feel as if they are in a 5 star hotel. If you don't want to go out then the conservatory is the place to relax with a good book. As a non-driver the walking distance of 15mts (tops) it just right either to Bowness or Windermere. I made use of the pool each day (I believe there is a larger pool due to be built sometime in the future) All the staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. I like the fact that the hotel allows dogs and if I had one then it would have made my stay complete. Will certainly be returning again. Look out for their special offers to get the best deals.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank welshlady061

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Ayrshire
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a short break (second visit to this hotel) and found the staff there to be very polite, considerate and helpful. Due to circumstances outwith our control, we were required to stay in two different rooms during the stay and both rooms (11 and 12) were roomy, comfortable, well furnished and immaculately clean with great views over the lake.

We stayed on dinner, bed & breakfast basis and found all meals to be excellent, particularly the evening meals, which were rich, tasty and filling - perfect for a short break! (I don't think we could survive a lengthy stay without putting on loads of weight!) Service from the mainly Eastern European (but some local) dining room staff was exemplary.

A venue I would recommend and will undoubtedly re-visit in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I looked everywhere for a hotel to take my boyfriend for his 30th birthday. After seeing Hillthwaite house on the internet it seemed to tick all the boxes so I booked a 3 night break there. With it being a special occassion I had really high expectations and it couldnt have been better!
From arrival to leaving the staff could not do enough for you, there must be something in the water there as they were so friendly and happy, working in customer service myself, I would love to know how the management do it!!
I can't believe this is only a 3* hotel - the rooms were immaculate, the bed was soooo comfy and the food, WOW - we ate until we couldn't eat anymore, it was stunning!
Thank you to everyone at Hillthwaite - we will see you again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Hillthwaite House Hotel, as part of our first visit to the Lake District. First impressions were that it was pretty much what we were expecting. The lounge and restaurant situated on the ground floor are tastefully decorated, and there is an in-door swimming pool, with a sauna and steam room, which were to prove useful after a days walk. The bedroom (ours at least) was small and our first sight of it left us wondering if we hadn't made a major mistake in selecting this hotel. But read on....

Having resigned ourselves to the fact that we were stuck with the room, we popped down to Lake Windermere which is a short walk (about 15mins) away, eventually returning to the hotel wondering what sort of night we were going to have in our broom closet of a room.

It all changed when we went for our dinner!! We had booked for the Dinner and B&B. What we got was a fantastic 5 course dinner, served in beautiful surroundings by really helpful and attentive waiters. Breakfast was excellent too. In addition to everything that was on offer we ordered porridge. Didn't really think there was much you could do to spice it up but their chef managed it. Superb. There is also a complimentary afternoon tea, but I would imagine that most people will be out and about when its served.

In short, a very pleasant family run hotel, centrally located, with helpful and friendly staff, offering superb cuisine, which more than makes up for the rooms. We enjoyed are stay and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The stay of 4 nights DB&B we had at this hotel was superb in every way. The bedroom was spacious, well furnished and very comfortable. The quality of the food was simply 5 star with a very well organised system to ensure no guests had to wait to be served. The menu was extensive and changed each evening. (Sample menus are available on their website .) The service and friendliness of all staff was exceptional. The very comfortable lounge had been recently refurbished to a very high standard. We made daily use of the swimming pool and sauna and, although small it was a welcome addition to the facilities on offer. This mid-week break was fantastic value for money and with so much to do and see in the surrounding area we will look forward to returning in the near future.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Middlesex
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This hotel is on a hill (the clue is in the name) we were warmly welcomed on arrival.
Most of the hotel had been refurbished & the restaurant & lounge areas are exquisite.We stayed in room 16 which has a magnificent panoramic view over the area including Lake Windemere.This room is of a very high standard.The staff are friendly & helpful. There is also a nice afternoon tea & cake included in the price.
The food here is of exemplary standard, to eat anywhere else would be a missed opportunity. I would highly rate the chef & his staff. You select your choice of meal for the evening in advance (that afternoon hence the free tea & cake) but there is no obligation to do this.We paid £180/room/night which for the Executive room was well worth it, You are also asked which paper you would like in the morning (free).
Local transport is close by (rail,bus) & car parking in April is no problem.There is plenty to see & do we went to Blackpool (60 miles) the beaches are out of this world the rest is a bit tacky & run down. This is one of the most beautiful parts of the country we have been too. We will return!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Merseyside
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We have just returned from a stay in the lakes, one night of which was spent at the Hillthwaite Hotel (this was orginally meant to be a two night stay). We booked a superior room with a lake view, on the basis of dinner, bed and breakfast. The hotel is a little out of Windermere and the village of Bowness but the walk was pleasant so this was not a problem. Upon arrival the receptionist was very welcoming as was the concierge that helped take the bags to the room, however this did not detract from the frosty atmosphere that was present upon arrival and throughout our stay. As mentioned earlier we had booked a superior room with lake view, this was not superior. In fairness the bathroom had just been re fitted so this was pleasant with a jacuzzi bath and seperate shower however the rest of the room was shabby. The lake view was laughable, to the point that you could only actually see out of the window when standing.

As we had booked dinner we reserved a table for 7pm, for some reason you had to pre order food in the afternoon, so to cut a long story short we sat down to eat at 7.10pm and had finished and left the resturant by 7.40pm this was due to the extremely poor quality of food and rushed service by staff, there is a big difference between being attentive and rushing someone, at one point somene actually removed my husbands plate whilst he was still eating!! The food itself was horrible, crab cakes soggy, soup tasted and smelt like it had been cooked with old shoe laces in it and the creme brulee was simply custard!!

That evening we considered whether we should check out or continue with our stay, we decided to give it a go so the following morning we went down for breakfast, which in fairness was nice. Therefore we decided to stay but on the basis of bed and breakfast only, however when this was raised with the receptionist (who was pleasant) we were told that the price would't change as we had got a last minute rate (£380 for two nights) on hearing this we decided to check out and try our luck elsewhere. At first we were informed that we would still have to pay for the second night however as we had neither received confirmation of the booking or signed any terms and conditions I refused to do so and this was accepted. However when checking out and paying there was an extremely frostly and unpleasant woman at reception who I can only assume to be the owner, at no point did this person apologise or offer any kind of compensation, she simply snarled that we should be paying for the second night that we did not stay.

Therefore in summary I would say:

Extremely overpiced
Food disgusting
Service rushed
Rooms not as described
Atmosphere stale
Whole place is not as described.

Needless to say we will not be returning. However on contrast we did manage to find a little gem on our second night, The Watersedge at Ambleside.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple