“Wonderful Stay in the Lakes”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We would like to thank all the staff at Hillthwaite House for making our stay such a happy and memorable occasion. Thank you again, the Rowntree and Gowing

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 July 2010

Got a last minute rae of £90 per room, which I feel is value for money. its on a hill and there are rooms with the view of the lake. the lounge and dinning room also have table with a beautiful view. The pool is indoor but not heated. They also have a sauna and steam room, small but does the job.
Breakfast was wonderful, we did not have dinner there but it looked quite appealing.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Not always easy being a solo traveller but this hotel really fitted the bill. I was made to feel very welcome from beginning to end of my 3 night stay. My dble bedroom was lovely and I especially like the modern bathrooms. The restaurant has a lovely outlook and the fine dinning makes one feel as if they are in a 5 star hotel. If you don't want to go out then the conservatory is the place to relax with a good book. As a non-driver the walking distance of 15mts (tops) it just right either to Bowness or Windermere. I made use of the pool each day (I believe there is a larger pool due to be built sometime in the future) All the staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. I like the fact that the hotel allows dogs and if I had one then it would have made my stay complete. Will certainly be returning again. Look out for their special offers to get the best deals.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank welshlady061
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a short break (second visit to this hotel) and found the staff there to be very polite, considerate and helpful. Due to circumstances outwith our control, we were required to stay in two different rooms during the stay and both rooms (11 and 12) were roomy, comfortable, well furnished and immaculately clean with great views over the lake.

We stayed on dinner, bed & breakfast basis and found all meals to be excellent, particularly the evening meals, which were rich, tasty and filling - perfect for a short break! (I don't think we could survive a lengthy stay without putting on loads of weight!) Service from the mainly Eastern European (but some local) dining room staff was exemplary.

A venue I would recommend and will undoubtedly re-visit in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I looked everywhere for a hotel to take my boyfriend for his 30th birthday. After seeing Hillthwaite house on the internet it seemed to tick all the boxes so I booked a 3 night break there. With it being a special occassion I had really high expectations and it couldnt have been better!
From arrival to leaving the staff could not do enough for you, there must be something in the water there as they were so friendly and happy, working in customer service myself, I would love to know how the management do it!!
I can't believe this is only a 3* hotel - the rooms were immaculate, the bed was soooo comfy and the food, WOW - we ate until we couldn't eat anymore, it was stunning!
Thank you to everyone at Hillthwaite - we will see you again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Hillthwaite House Hotel, as part of our first visit to the Lake District. First impressions were that it was pretty much what we were expecting. The lounge and restaurant situated on the ground floor are tastefully decorated, and there is an in-door swimming pool, with a sauna and steam room, which were to prove useful after a days walk. The bedroom (ours at least) was small and our first sight of it left us wondering if we hadn't made a major mistake in selecting this hotel. But read on....

Having resigned ourselves to the fact that we were stuck with the room, we popped down to Lake Windermere which is a short walk (about 15mins) away, eventually returning to the hotel wondering what sort of night we were going to have in our broom closet of a room.

It all changed when we went for our dinner!! We had booked for the Dinner and B&B. What we got was a fantastic 5 course dinner, served in beautiful surroundings by really helpful and attentive waiters. Breakfast was excellent too. In addition to everything that was on offer we ordered porridge. Didn't really think there was much you could do to spice it up but their chef managed it. Superb. There is also a complimentary afternoon tea, but I would imagine that most people will be out and about when its served.

In short, a very pleasant family run hotel, centrally located, with helpful and friendly staff, offering superb cuisine, which more than makes up for the rooms. We enjoyed are stay and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The stay of 4 nights DB&B we had at this hotel was superb in every way. The bedroom was spacious, well furnished and very comfortable. The quality of the food was simply 5 star with a very well organised system to ensure no guests had to wait to be served. The menu was extensive and changed each evening. (Sample menus are available on their website .) The service and friendliness of all staff was exceptional. The very comfortable lounge had been recently refurbished to a very high standard. We made daily use of the swimming pool and sauna and, although small it was a welcome addition to the facilities on offer. This mid-week break was fantastic value for money and with so much to do and see in the surrounding area we will look forward to returning in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple