Hillthwaite
Hotels.com
US$132
US$128
  • Breakfast included
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$248
US$189
TripAdvisor
1,560 results
All reviewssauna and steam roomsconescourse mealclassic roomsmall poolon arrivallovely hotelafternoon teabay windowhigh standardlake districtmy partnerbooked this hotelcream tearestaurant staffbreakfast and dinnershort break
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I wanted to visit this hotel for afternoon tea on a visit to Bowness, I called the hotel at around 4.40pm to enquire whether afternoon tea was available, at first I was told that we could arrive anytime before 6pm, then on enquiring about the afternoon tea menu the lady at reception told me that afternoon tea was only available until 5pm which she noticed was written on the menu! I informed her that we would be there by 5pm as we were heading out of Bowness up the hill towards the hotel. We arrived just before 5pm only be told by the same lady at reception that we were too late, and made us wait as she made a drama calling through to the chef/kitchen to enquire whether we could still have afternoon tea. We were told that there would be no cake served only scones and sandwiches. I did not stay for afternoon tea, with such poor customer service from the lady at reception we were totally off put. Additionally I wil mention that the hotel does not feel as luxurious as the website may show it to be, it's no comparison to the Lakeside hotel for example.

2  Thank hot_curry
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed at this Hotel for our anniversary for 2 nights which included B&B and Dinner. The hotel is an absolute dream to stay in, the dining room and the dining experience was excellent, the food was wonderful and the staff all very pleasant. We stayed in room 35 which was on the very top floor and had a wonderful view of the lake. The bathroom was luxury and had a spa bath, which was very well received after a long day walking. We were worried about the hill up to the hotel but did not find this an issue at all.

If you want a relaxing break, with reading and playing games in the two reception rooms then this is the hotel for you. Being a younger couple we found the after dinner bar experience a little quiet and therefore ventured into Windermere, as we felt we were wispering to each other in the lounges at the hotel. The only other tiny issue we had was the hotel was very warm and my husband in particular was finding it too hot.
The hotel decor was outstanding and I would love to use their interior designer in my own home!!!!!

We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone but particularly to over 40's who love peace and quiet.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

This place is average value given the abundance of hotels / inns / etc in the area. However, what makes it stand out is the service of the staff (they are incredibly helpful and willing to be flexible when needs demanded it), and the restaurant. The food here was superb. Excellent 3 / 4 course meal, at a very high standard. I would have dinner there easily without being a guest at the hotel itself.

The rooms are adequate, though a bit on the small side. The bathroom was quite large and luxurious. The location is just slightly away from the town centre, but only a 10 minute walk into town.

I would return here for a visit to the Lake District.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We have just returned from a night at the hotel.From the moment we arrived,when our luggage was taken to our room to leaving this morning,after an excellent breakfast,we have been very impressed with the service and quality of the accomodation.Our room was lovely,with a view of Lake Windermere from the four poster bed! Dinner was delicious,and all the staff were friendly and welcoming. It is a delightful hotel and we hope to return in the future.

2  Thank chris187053
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I never book a hotel room until I have thoroughly read the comments on Trip Advisor but on this occasion I did book after getting an email advising of a deal and was very concerned about the comments made. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room we had number 33 was on the small side for the £60 supplement but the bathroom was probably one of the best we have ever had. The food was very good with a change of menu every evening, not just one or two dishes. We found the staff very polite and friendly and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. If you don't have a car and are not very fit the walk to town might put some people off but it only took around 10 mins.