All reviewsgarden roomcream tealovely hotelbar mealsevening mealsconeslake districton arrivalenjoyable staypublic areasa lovely staycooked breakfastnight breakcouldn't do enoughthe ground floorstayed for one nightboth nights
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Thank you Briery Wood - my husband booked a few nights stay as I have been through a difficult patch recently. We had an fabulous time. Our room was large, bright and airy. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds just off the main road along Lake Windermere - even the unusually terrible weather did not dampen our stay. The staff were most attentive and friendly - interested in what we were doing and willing to offer suggestions when asked. However the "pièce de resistance" was the food ... which was absolutely superb. We certainly plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Irene B
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed there for a week long business conference and the rooms are tiny and dark and not v comfortable. I was hoping to change the room but was ignored by the staff. Food was terrible and eventually I was leaving England with severe food poisoning. I would love to come back as a tourist to Cumbria but I will not stay in this hotel for sure (and it's in the middle of nowhere).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Martinez007
Briery, Manager at Briery Wood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Dear Martinez007. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the team at the hotel for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

As soon as your comment was posted on Trip Advisor, I conducted a full investigation into your complaint and the comments relating to your room. This was made more difficult as you stayed here five months ago in April 2011.

Room 1, which I believe is the room in which you stayed, is a light, airy room with views over the garden and a large french window opening onto a private patio.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our food at Briery Wood and receive much positive feedback about it, therefore I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food during your visit. Had you made us aware of this at the time, our chef and his team would have been happy to prepare dishes that were more to your taste.

I am very concerned indeed to hear of your claim of food poisoning. As we were not made aware of this during your stay, it is very hard for us to now investigate this any further, however, I can confirm that no other guests who stayed at this time reported any cases of food poisoning.

Briery Wood is located in private gardens on the main road, just 2 miles from Windermere and 2 miles from Ambleside. Both of these bustling Lake District towns are within easy reach of Briery Wood and served by regular public transport links and a local taxi firm.

You will see from our reviews that we take a pride in offering our customers quality experience and good value. I would welcome the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and to discuss your review in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Roger Benson.
Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Cleanest bathroom I've seen in a hotel. Carpets a bit threadbare in the communcal areas but very clean. hearty breakfast. fantastic customer service. Will definitely stay there again.....already planning on an October break.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank mirajain
Reviewed 4 August 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were welcoming and friendly and did every thing they could to make our stay comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were immaculately clean and the food is first class.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank HoneyApples
Reviewed 1 August 2011

It was a real shame we ended up[ in the room next to the kitchen because the kitchen fan / airconditioning fan kept me awake uring on and off all night long. Otherwise the hotel is a clean and comfortable place to stay and in a good location. The breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple