“AS GOOD AS EVER”

Briery Wood Country House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I have just visited the hotel for a 3 day break for the fourth time this year, may I say more. This hotel is situated midway between Windermere and Ambleside and is set in wonderful grounds. First of all the staff are wonderful, nothing is a problem and is also carried out with a smile. The rooms are spacious and cheerful. The food is excellent, freshly cooked breakfast to order (no pre-cooked buffet at this hotel). Dinner is excellent (pay the little difference, it is well worth it), you get 3 excellent courses plus coffee and home made chocolates. This hotel is a hidden gem within the Lake District. Forget about B&B in Bowness and Ambleside and stay in lovely surroundings with lovely people and excellent food.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magpie21
Briery, Assistant manager at Briery Wood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Dear Magpie21,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Briery Wood.
As you say, it was your fourth visit of the year to see us - we look forward to your visits, you are both a pleasure to look after.
Here at the Briery Wood, we try our best to fulfill, and hopefully exceed our guests' expectations. We work very hard to create and maintain the relaxed atmosphere and high standards you enjoy so much. It is a team effort, with everyone playing their part, and working to the best of their abilities.
We are helped here by our location in peaceful, wildlife-friendly grounds. The breakfasts, lunches and dinners, as you say, are all cooked freshly to order, with Chef writing his menu daily to make the most of seasonal produce.
Your feedback is really helpful & all of the staff do appreciate the compliments you pay us in this review. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay & look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
With kind regards,
Jennifer Braithwaite
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just returned from a two night family break to this hotel over the half term holiday. The hotel was incredibly clean, the room we stayed in contained what can only be described as the mother of all kingsize beds and had the added bonus of having french doors which opened out onto the beautiful grounds. The location of Briery wood is really peaceful yet it's only a couple of minutes drive into Ambleside or Windermere so it is brilliant for getting out and about from.
Whilst I could ramble on about the rooms, the strength of this hotel lies in the exceptional quality of the food and the fantastic attention of the staff. We had breakfast and an evening meal each day. The menu was really exciting, the food beautifully and elegantly presented but more importantly absolutely delicious. I would challenge even the hardest food critic to find fault with any of it. A family travelling with us had a guest who was a coeliac and the staff effortlessly catered for them without making any kind of a fuss.
It wouldn't be right though to review this hotel without mentioning the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful and yet somehow managed to only appear when you needed them, we came away feeling really relaxed and thoroughly looked after.
So what is the problem? Sadly it's unusual to find a place with an emphasis on providing the genuinely friendly service that Briery wood so clearly has... I know that we will be guaging every other hotel we stay in against the service we received here and wonder just who else can measure up to it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jayne N
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Following on from my review in May this year, I returned to stay in this cosy hotel in August. What I forgot to mention the last time is where else can you get a 1 night stay on a weekend. My first visit was a Saturday night over a bank holiday weekend and this visit was a Saturday night in the middle of the school holidays. So if your time is short in the lkaes check out this little gem of a hotel. Oh, almost forgot, so dog friendly

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MichelleD50
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Thank you Briery Wood - my husband booked a few nights stay as I have been through a difficult patch recently. We had an fabulous time. Our room was large, bright and airy. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds just off the main road along Lake Windermere - even the unusually terrible weather did not dampen our stay. The staff were most attentive and friendly - interested in what we were doing and willing to offer suggestions when asked. However the "pièce de resistance" was the food ... which was absolutely superb. We certainly plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Irene B
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed there for a week long business conference and the rooms are tiny and dark and not v comfortable. I was hoping to change the room but was ignored by the staff. Food was terrible and eventually I was leaving England with severe food poisoning. I would love to come back as a tourist to Cumbria but I will not stay in this hotel for sure (and it's in the middle of nowhere).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Martinez007
Briery, Manager at Briery Wood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Dear Martinez007. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the team at the hotel for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

As soon as your comment was posted on Trip Advisor, I conducted a full investigation into your complaint and the comments relating to your room. This was made more difficult as you stayed here five months ago in April 2011.

Room 1, which I believe is the room in which you stayed, is a light, airy room with views over the garden and a large french window opening onto a private patio.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our food at Briery Wood and receive much positive feedback about it, therefore I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food during your visit. Had you made us aware of this at the time, our chef and his team would have been happy to prepare dishes that were more to your taste.

I am very concerned indeed to hear of your claim of food poisoning. As we were not made aware of this during your stay, it is very hard for us to now investigate this any further, however, I can confirm that no other guests who stayed at this time reported any cases of food poisoning.

Briery Wood is located in private gardens on the main road, just 2 miles from Windermere and 2 miles from Ambleside. Both of these bustling Lake District towns are within easy reach of Briery Wood and served by regular public transport links and a local taxi firm.

You will see from our reviews that we take a pride in offering our customers quality experience and good value. I would welcome the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and to discuss your review in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Roger Benson.
Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Cleanest bathroom I've seen in a hotel. Carpets a bit threadbare in the communcal areas but very clean. hearty breakfast. fantastic customer service. Will definitely stay there again.....already planning on an October break.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank mirajain
Reviewed 4 August 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were welcoming and friendly and did every thing they could to make our stay comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom were immaculately clean and the food is first class.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family