“Best break”

Briery Wood Country House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just returned from a one night stay that we bought off Travelzoo, we took our dog with us,on his first "mini break" We didn't really know how he would be, but the staff were amazing, they gave us a room with a patio door so he could just nip in and out as need be, set up a special table in the bar so we didn't have to leave him in the room on his own whilst we ate and even at breakfast moved us so he could sit with us again. One of the staff told us of a great walk to take him on, which we all loved, and the food was to die for! Will being going back for sure.

Room Tip: If taking a dog the garden rooms are great
2  Thank liz c

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My Wife and I spent 2 nights here on a offer from Travel Zoo, cost £140 for the 2 of us for B/B 2 nights and 3 course meal 1st night. Lovely secluded Hotel about a mile from Ambleside, very clean and well maintained, we had room 1 on ground floor, lovely big room with own patio and table and chairs. Meals extremely tasty and red hot .Staff one older lady and a couple of Australian girls very helpful, couldnt do enough for you..Highly recommend. Only "complaint" was beer selection, they had on pump, Guiness, Becks and Tetley bitter, which cost £3.80p a pint,why no local beer ????

Room Tip: Choose ground floor
3  Thank Grizzly277
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked the weekend with some friends to explore the area and from the minute we booked under the watchful eye of the manager Roger, we were looked after so well. Beautiful food and the information about the local area was second to none. Information about the villages, boat trips and even where to have a nice meal or a drink was available with nothing too much trouble. The rooms were comfortable and immaculately clean with plenty of hot water after a hard day in the hills.

Definitely will be visiting again - well done Roger and his amazing team !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank willprescott
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Such mixed feelings! And I see I'm not the only one...We booked a 1 night stay on spur of the moment a week or so before our stay (30-31/10) as we were taking the children to Beatrice Potter and to Brockhole we thought we'd stay over. Food is absolutely fabulous and so is the service! There's not a lot of choice but the quality of the food is superb, and 3 courses for the children, all portions were huge, was only £7.50! We especially enjoyed the magnificent breakfast :)

However, the hotel itself is very tired looking, carpets are threadbare and you can feel every plank of wood. The bathroom looked very old fashioned and when you flushed the toilet it made a noise for nearly five minutes afterwards! I would also strongly encourage families to request NOTto be placed in their family room number 20 as it was right above the kitchen, so lots of slamming of doors, things thrown into recycling bins until quite late, and of course it started early as staff arrived to make breakfasts....and there's a giant extractor fan outside that hums all night! If we had been staying more than one night I would have asked to move rooms but when we realised the kids were already in their pjs and ready for bed.

I think we would come back, mainly for the food, as the location is great, and if we could get it on a deal!

Room Tip: Avoid family room above kitchen!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank skiptonmaria
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I am a 74 year old widower accompanied by my daughter and her dog. We had a comfortable large twin room no.14. It was intended as a 4 night relaxing break. We were made to feel at home from our arrival. We stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. Breakfast was superb with a good selection and cooked breakfast done exactly to our specification, and served by lovely friendly staff, who were nevertheless unobtrusive. But if that was great....Dinner was out of this world. A lovely menu, the starters were just right, the main courses were simply delicious, and to cap it all lovely individually prepared desserts. We took coffee in one of the two lounges or the bar lounge. The service was first class, and it was delightful to be served by such attractive friendly dining room staff. Care is needed to access the driveway to the hotel especially if intending turning right towards Ambleside when leaving the hotel. We would love to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I wasn't quite sure how to rate this hotel, as my views over my long weekend stay in October were really very mixed. On the positive side, the rooms were excellent, looked like they had been newly refurbished with Vileroy and Boch bathroom suites, very smart looking Eco toiletries and flat screen tv. The room we stayed in, looked straight out onto the garden and was very comfortable. The communal areas on the other hand were worn and felt antiquated, carpets were threadbare on the stairs, there were no pictures on the walls and in particular, the restaurant and it's tables were regimented and I felt, lacked atmosphere. The sitting rooms also could have been made more cosy, simply by lighting the fires and rearranging the chairs.

A further contrast was the food which was very good and I would even go so far as to say, it wasn't far short of the quality of food I'd experienced during my stay at the Michelin starred Holbeck Ghyll earlier in the year which just along the road. However, I think that one of my main criticisms was the fact that the staff didn't know how to handle the wine. Despite having a pretty good wine selection, none of the white wine or desert wines were chilled as it was simply lifted from the cellar and we had to ask for this to be done. At the same time, the red wine was too cool because It too was simply lifted from the same cellar. The only wine that was chilled was a single white house wine which was stored at the bar. This, I think, was remarkably out of contrast with the quality of the food that was served.

And there lies my dilemma about my rating. There were some very positive bits and some petty poor bits. However, with a little refurbishment in the communal areas and some better attention to the storage and serving of the wine, I think this would be a real gem. On the whole, I'm therefore inclined to simply say that it was pretty good value for money, but could do better.

Room Tip: I don't know what the upstairs rooms were like but the downstairs ones seemed nice enough with d...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just back from an overnight stay at Briery wood through travel zoo. We enjoyed our stay although felt the hotel in places was a little worn. The room number 3 was fab, with a garden view and a little patio with table and chairs. We had a large king size bed very comfortable although the wardrobe again appeared a little tired. The room was warm and cosy, although desperate for a shower after a long hike I was disappointed as it was a Mira shower but the water dribbled out!

The staff were very friendly, helpful and even offered us an umbrella to go out that evening as we choose to go else where for the evening after dinner, as there is not much atmosphere. Dinner was very warm good and tastey as was the fab breakfast.
It was all in all good but I would not stay a second time as there are so many other places to try.