“Always a good sign.”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
northwich
“Always a good sign.”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have just enjoyed our fifth stay at the Cragwood Hotel and as on previous visits had a wonderful short break.One thing that we find most comforting is the staff never seem to change and firmly believe that is a fine recommendation in its self.
Many thanks to Phillip and his team.

Lynne / Rolfe Furmston

Room Tip: Room 23 Perfect for guests with disabilities.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My stay here exceeded all expectations. I wanted somewhere peaceful to stay for a couple of days to focus on creative writing with a friend. I found the hotel based on previous tripadvisor reviews and it was perfect... the staff were attentive and helpful, the venue was ideal, providing very comfortable surroundings, along with amazing food. Even the weather conspired to work with us, as it rained hard and so there was no chance of sneaking out for a long walk around the Lake! As a result, the first chapter of my book is now drafted and you have a delighted customer who hopes to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank happyflower123
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights to get some peace to focus on writing and it was the PERFECT choice. The bedrooms were quiet and comfortable, but the real ace in the pack was the enormous choice of cosy places to settle down to some writing. With FIVE different comfortable lounge areas, the bar AND lots of different outside spaces to choose from, we were spoiled for choice. I grew to love one of the window seats in a bay window with views over the garden and on the the lake and hills in both directions - so much creative inspiration. I also loved the old-fashioned leather armchairs beside the roaring log-fire, and took a turn around the garden to enjoy the airy gazebo with its beautiful lake views. On top of these, we were served with exquisite courtesy by all the staff who were attentive (teas, lunches and scones seemed to be offered by magic exactly when we started to think we should go and order them) and yet never intrusive.
On the rainiest day we shared the space with other like-minded guests who seemed to be enjoying the peace and views without ever feeling that they were in our way, or we in theirs. Other guests had well-behaved dogs with them who just added to that old-world country house atmosphere that made our visit so perfect.
And the food! Bar snacks and afternoon teas were all lovely (I particularly appreciated being offered a whole box full of assorted flavours when I asked for a herb tea.) But the highlight of all was the four-course dinner in the restaurant. Fresh, seasonal food, picture-perfect presentation and above all delicious!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable, but worth choosing one with a lake view. Don't overlook room 7 ju...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MERA63
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Before we booked we had no real clue what to expect as we have been regular ' voucher deal ' users and have become quite relaxed about our experiences whatever comes our way ( usually quite good really ) . But this one was the best yet. The staff are amazing , so friendly and willing to help you. Our first impression was great and this was enhanced when the lady on reception gave us an an incredible room when I asked for a change . The room we were allocated was in fact excellent and we would have been fine if they were full . There are different views and I asked if there was a lake view room available . Although they were busy we did get , in my opinion the most amazing view in the lakes.our room was exceptional and we were told the bathroom was small , which it was but well worth having the room . So thank you . The hotel has wonderful Art Deco features and is incredibly well maintained , clean and warm . We had dinner on our first night and it was delicious , and the breakfast was of such a high quality that on the second day we reduced the amount on our plate . The grounds are wonderful to walk around and it was lovely to be welcomed by the grounds and maintenance staff wherever you went, particularly Marshy. So thank you everyone we will be back , thinking of New Year !

Room Tip: Well at the risk of losing it next time , room 4 is gorgeous .
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Colne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Very warm welcome on our second stay. Lovely staff, classic lakeside hotel, great food and excellent service. Extremely dog friendly and Paddy and my teenage daughters and my wife had a recall relaxing time.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank carpet08
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My Mum couldn't believe it when Lesley (on reception) said that she could bring 3 dogs on holiday with her. I am a guide dog so I'm used to going everywhere with my Dad but I rarely get the chance to take my mates with me. We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed every minute. We had a lovely family room which overlooked the lake. We were allowed anywhere in the grounds and managed a swim on two occasions. I don't know why humans get so wound up about us swimming. Mum had brought 12 dog towels so why the fuss? The humans had dinner every night but we had to stay in our room with our usual food. We heard them raving about the breakfast but how can I rate it when I wasn't given a morsel. We can't wait to go to Cragwood again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KrakenGuideDog
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Another wonderful stay at The Cragwood, our 3rd stay already this year. Lovely new reception, same amazing staff, incredible food, comfy bedrooms, relaxing lounges & stunning views and gardens.

Thank you to the Cragwood Team, I'm sure we'll be back soon!

S, L & E