I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Lake District having been here before, I booked the Ellerthwaite based on previous reviews. When I booked there were no single rooms available but was happy to book a double (extra bed space, why not?) I also booked because they offer wifi connectivity and are right next to Windermere town centre.
The car park has more spaces than most around here so it was hassle-free. Receptionists are friendly and helpful and offered to assist me to my room with my heavy luggage. I stayed in room 15... it's quaint and roomy enough although due to the roof there is limited clearance to the table and chairs, so mind your heads!
The bed itself was okay... there was a slight dip between the middle and the end of the bed which was very slight but noticeable, having checked the bed slats (good condition) I assume the mattress was well used. It was nonetheless quite cushiony and comfortable.
The TV is somewhat on the small side but not a big inconvenience and there was a socket in the corner for which I can only assume is for foreign plugs, the holes were round and tiny. On the subject of sockets I'm afraid they weren't placed in suitable locations for the dressing tables or the table and chairs, so charging objects had to be left on the floor. Not really a fault of the hotel due to the shape of the room. Aside from some very minor water damage on the corner walls (I assume from roof leakage) and minor window cracks, all other aspects of the room were impeccable.
The bathroom was very impressive... yes the shower cubicle s a tad small and a lack of storage for shower gels, shampoo etc. meant leaning down to pick up the items was a little inconvenient... but it really was the cleanest, tidiest bathroom I've ever set eyes on in a B&B or even a hotel! The floor, reflective tiles, shiny fittings and crystal clear ceramics need to be appreciated. I'm getting fed up of seeing mould in hotel bathrooms but there was positively none to be found here.
Elsewhere, the public areas were very nicely maintained and the only point of note was the creaky floors which at times I had to tread carefully to avoid disturbing people in the sitting areas.
The wifi is very strong and keeps you connected without having to constantly enter passwords. In addition I received a voucher upon checkout for reduced rates on a future stay. All in all, not bad at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A short walk from Lake Windermere, this charming 19th-century Lake District town house provides 15 relaxing, comfortably furnished en-suite rooms for you to enjoy bed and breakfast accommodation in Windermere. Our rooms have been dressed with bespoke soft furnishings, excelsior deluxe mattresses, 20” flat screen Samsung TVs with 10 channels and in the lounge area you can relax on leather chesterfields and take in the far reaching views. Parking is also not a problem as we have private car park with ample space for all. You are only 2 minutes walk from Windermere town centre with its variety of shops and selection of good quality restaurants which is why we have chosen to only cater for bed and breakfast. Ellerthwaite Lodge is ideally situated and provides a great place to stay to enjoy the Lake District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ellerthwaite Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ellerthwaite Hotel Windermere
- Ellerthwaite Lodge Windermere, Lake District