“Not bad, only a few points to be considered”
Review of Ellerthwaite Lodge

Ellerthwaite Lodge
Ranked #48 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Not bad, only a few points to be considered”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Lake District having been here before, I booked the Ellerthwaite based on previous reviews. When I booked there were no single rooms available but was happy to book a double (extra bed space, why not?) I also booked because they offer wifi connectivity and are right next to Windermere town centre.

The car park has more spaces than most around here so it was hassle-free. Receptionists are friendly and helpful and offered to assist me to my room with my heavy luggage. I stayed in room 15... it's quaint and roomy enough although due to the roof there is limited clearance to the table and chairs, so mind your heads!

The bed itself was okay... there was a slight dip between the middle and the end of the bed which was very slight but noticeable, having checked the bed slats (good condition) I assume the mattress was well used. It was nonetheless quite cushiony and comfortable.

The TV is somewhat on the small side but not a big inconvenience and there was a socket in the corner for which I can only assume is for foreign plugs, the holes were round and tiny. On the subject of sockets I'm afraid they weren't placed in suitable locations for the dressing tables or the table and chairs, so charging objects had to be left on the floor. Not really a fault of the hotel due to the shape of the room. Aside from some very minor water damage on the corner walls (I assume from roof leakage) and minor window cracks, all other aspects of the room were impeccable.

The bathroom was very impressive... yes the shower cubicle s a tad small and a lack of storage for shower gels, shampoo etc. meant leaning down to pick up the items was a little inconvenient... but it really was the cleanest, tidiest bathroom I've ever set eyes on in a B&B or even a hotel! The floor, reflective tiles, shiny fittings and crystal clear ceramics need to be appreciated. I'm getting fed up of seeing mould in hotel bathrooms but there was positively none to be found here.

Elsewhere, the public areas were very nicely maintained and the only point of note was the creaky floors which at times I had to tread carefully to avoid disturbing people in the sitting areas.

The wifi is very strong and keeps you connected without having to constantly enter passwords. In addition I received a voucher upon checkout for reduced rates on a future stay. All in all, not bad at all.

Room Tip: I would avoid the top floor if ceiling heights are bothersome
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Eddie C
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed response. It is always useful to get positive feedback with ideas on how we could improve what we offer our guests. It also provides others looking at trip adviser the opportunity to get objective comments about our facilities. Our aim is to provide guests with a great and friendly service, comfortable accommodation and a good start to the day with our breakfasts.
So pleased that you found our bathroom to be very impressive. Our housekeeping team will be pleased to read this.
Remember to use your voucher next time you book direct with us. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This lodge is centrally located with excellent service. Parking is free. There are 2 staff with same name Fiona. They are both very helpful and professional. After my feedback about the smell in the bathroom, Fi cleaned it up the next day, changed the shower curtain. After I informed them about my husband's birthday during our stay, they tied balloons at our breakfast table on his birthday, arranged special cupcakes with candles.
We were so impressed and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: request for 2nd floor with view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for reviewing your experiences at Ellerthwaite Lodge and for giving us feedback during your stay. It gave us the opportunity of addressing the issue and in particular providing your husband with a birthday surprise. Glad you were impressed and especially that you enjoyed your stay with us. Take care.
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed at Ellerthwaite Lodge while attending a friend's wedding. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. A couple of days before I arrived, I contacted them to let them know I have a gluten intolerance and they went above and beyond to ensure that I was provided for. They bought in gluten free bread and sausages. Because I was checking out very early (and would therefore be missing the breakfast), they provided me with a tray of fruit and gluten free yoghurt bars the night before so that I had something to eat. The free wifi was invaluable for keeping in touch with friends and family. The complimentary tea and coffee provisions were brilliant, and even included hot chocolate! I loved staying here! The lodge itself is beautiful and is nearby the main town and train station (within 15 minutes walk). I look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all of the rooms available are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review. When we know about specific requirements for our guests we do aim, where possible, to provide them, especially when it involves dietary needs. It is lovely to receive such reviews as it puts a smile on our face and a warmth in our hearts that we have been able to give you a great stay. Yes the chocolate is lovely isn’t it? We look forward to welcoming you back the Ellerthwaite Lodge, remember to give us a ring to make your booking. Take care.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

If Carsberg did hotels probably best hotel in the lakes cant reccomend this hotel enough stopped in many places in my line of work but this must rate as one of the best staff are 5 star nothing to much trouble polite and tend to your every need locatoin excellent . Hotel clean food exceptional do not past up the chance to visit .

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you so very much for this review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and your recommendation has put ‘Cheshire cat’ smiles on our faces. We love providing a good service and to get such a review makes us all feel great too.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible: this is without a doubt the worst accommodation that I have ever used. The room was so small, to walk around the bed we had to lean over the bed (& I'm 5ft11!). The bathroom was so small, the toilet was positioned on the corner behind the vanity. I'm pleased to see that the more recent trip advisor rating for this hotel is very low. We do generally like good lodge or B&B style of Accom, but this one is horrible .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janelle016
Thank you for your review and our comments, I understand that you stayed in room 14. Room 14 often divides opinion there are those that love it and others like you that do not appreciate the quirkiness of the room. Being on the top floor, although having a good floor space the roof beams do come into the room therefore reducing head room. I can see being over 5’ 11” you would have to be careful. However it does have a uk king size bed with a Tempur mattress, settee, along with other facilities you would expect to be in a bedroom. In the bathrooms we try to provide within the space available everything we think a guest will need.

It is such a shame that you did not tell us that you did not like the room on check in as we would have gladly moved you; we did have other rooms available at the time. It is sad that you decided not to be happy during your stay and leaving your comment till after you left. We do try very hard to provide good service in all areas of the bed and breakfast experience and are sorry on this occasion that you did not give us the opportunity to provide this for you.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We checked in asking for a room for 2 Adults and one Child. Helen checked us in and she was amazing! She was very warm and friendly.
We were brought to room 17 which is in the attic. I had to ask for a fan as it was very very hot up there.
Old furniture and carpet with a open concept. One queen bed and bunk beds for the kids. The shower is just the floor and a curtain.

I made the mistake of asking to see a suite which was the same price and gorgeous! We could have all fit in the suite which is on the second floor ( not the stuffy attic) and would have suited us better.
The hotel is practically empty tonight so I am very frustrated as we sit in the attic.
If you are traveling with a child, ask what other options may be available because the attic is awful.

Stayed April 2014
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Our family room offers space for families with 2 TVs, seating area, bunk beds and large bathroom, with a walk in shower. Meaning that children will not trip over any shower trays and they can have a splashing time either in the shower or large bath. There is an opportunity to close the curtains between the adult’s bed and the main seating areas. This means that children and adults can watch their own choice of TV.
I am sorry that you did not like the room. Some rooms on the top floor are quirky and do not suit everyone that is why it is useful to contact us and discuss what specifically you are looking for.