“Middle of everywhere”

Ellerthwaite Lodge
Ranked #47 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
“Middle of everywhere”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed in the top room .. to far to go when your drunk but it was clean and tidy better than the Samling . Good price for one night , good parking and breakfast was quicker that the Castle in Kendal.

Cannot think of anything we didn't like . perfect position to be if your out and about in the lakes

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex T
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Alex
Thank you for much for your review, especially with the comparisons you have made. Having two floors with rooms on the ground floor too does give options for our guests. At least you have our lovely guest lounge to stop and admire the wonderful stain glass windows and the sunsets in the west before climbing the next fight of stairs to your bed. Please remember to come and stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From the minute my Mom and I stepped into the Ellerthwaite Lodge, we felt at home - we had the opportunity to spend our first and last night of a week-long self guided hiking trek through the Lake District at the Ellerthwaite and could not have been happier. We loved our little room and slept incredibly soundly, and also enjoyed the lounge on the second level. The breakfast was wonderful and everyone who worked there could not have been more cheerful, lovely and helpful. In advance of our arrival, we requested fresh fruit for breakfast and, without fail, it was there for us. The lodge is quiet despite being so close to the hustle and bustle of Windermere and proved to be the perfect place to start off, and wrap up, a fabulous week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Gillian B, Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Emily
Wow what a lovely review. We are so pleased that we were able to give you a great start and finish to your hiking trek. We do aim, when we can, to meet requests made by our guests and we are so pleased to be able to do this for you. Glad that you felt at home and that you found our staff to be cheerful, lovely and helpful. You have brought a big smile to their faces. Thank you for doing that, they do deserve it. Take care. Gillian
Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We 3 adults shared the top floor family room and really appreciated the space, large bathroom with big tub, block out curtains so we all had a great sleep and comfortable bed. If you have no problem with stairs, as there are quite a few, this hotel is great. Breakfast was good, lovely china too. Staff were very friendly. So close to town.

Room Tip: No lift, if you are looking at the top floor family room light bags are recommended.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Janice
Yes you stayed in our family room which is on the second floor. As you say it is a great room as it does have loads of space, plus 2 TVs so reduces the arguments of what to watch!!! So pleased that you had a good stay with us. Take care Gillian
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Lake District having been here before, I booked the Ellerthwaite based on previous reviews. When I booked there were no single rooms available but was happy to book a double (extra bed space, why not?) I also booked because they offer wifi connectivity and are right next to Windermere town centre.

The car park has more spaces than most around here so it was hassle-free. Receptionists are friendly and helpful and offered to assist me to my room with my heavy luggage. I stayed in room 15... it's quaint and roomy enough although due to the roof there is limited clearance to the table and chairs, so mind your heads!

The bed itself was okay... there was a slight dip between the middle and the end of the bed which was very slight but noticeable, having checked the bed slats (good condition) I assume the mattress was well used. It was nonetheless quite cushiony and comfortable.

The TV is somewhat on the small side but not a big inconvenience and there was a socket in the corner for which I can only assume is for foreign plugs, the holes were round and tiny. On the subject of sockets I'm afraid they weren't placed in suitable locations for the dressing tables or the table and chairs, so charging objects had to be left on the floor. Not really a fault of the hotel due to the shape of the room. Aside from some very minor water damage on the corner walls (I assume from roof leakage) and minor window cracks, all other aspects of the room were impeccable.

The bathroom was very impressive... yes the shower cubicle s a tad small and a lack of storage for shower gels, shampoo etc. meant leaning down to pick up the items was a little inconvenient... but it really was the cleanest, tidiest bathroom I've ever set eyes on in a B&B or even a hotel! The floor, reflective tiles, shiny fittings and crystal clear ceramics need to be appreciated. I'm getting fed up of seeing mould in hotel bathrooms but there was positively none to be found here.

Elsewhere, the public areas were very nicely maintained and the only point of note was the creaky floors which at times I had to tread carefully to avoid disturbing people in the sitting areas.

The wifi is very strong and keeps you connected without having to constantly enter passwords. In addition I received a voucher upon checkout for reduced rates on a future stay. All in all, not bad at all.

Room Tip: I would avoid the top floor if ceiling heights are bothersome
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Eddie C
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed response. It is always useful to get positive feedback with ideas on how we could improve what we offer our guests. It also provides others looking at trip adviser the opportunity to get objective comments about our facilities. Our aim is to provide guests with a great and friendly service, comfortable accommodation and a good start to the day with our breakfasts.
So pleased that you found our bathroom to be very impressive. Our housekeeping team will be pleased to read this.
Remember to use your voucher next time you book direct with us. Take care.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This lodge is centrally located with excellent service. Parking is free. There are 2 staff with same name Fiona. They are both very helpful and professional. After my feedback about the smell in the bathroom, Fi cleaned it up the next day, changed the shower curtain. After I informed them about my husband's birthday during our stay, they tied balloons at our breakfast table on his birthday, arranged special cupcakes with candles.
We were so impressed and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: request for 2nd floor with view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for reviewing your experiences at Ellerthwaite Lodge and for giving us feedback during your stay. It gave us the opportunity of addressing the issue and in particular providing your husband with a birthday surprise. Glad you were impressed and especially that you enjoyed your stay with us. Take care.
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed at Ellerthwaite Lodge while attending a friend's wedding. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. A couple of days before I arrived, I contacted them to let them know I have a gluten intolerance and they went above and beyond to ensure that I was provided for. They bought in gluten free bread and sausages. Because I was checking out very early (and would therefore be missing the breakfast), they provided me with a tray of fruit and gluten free yoghurt bars the night before so that I had something to eat. The free wifi was invaluable for keeping in touch with friends and family. The complimentary tea and coffee provisions were brilliant, and even included hot chocolate! I loved staying here! The lodge itself is beautiful and is nearby the main town and train station (within 15 minutes walk). I look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all of the rooms available are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review. When we know about specific requirements for our guests we do aim, where possible, to provide them, especially when it involves dietary needs. It is lovely to receive such reviews as it puts a smile on our face and a warmth in our hearts that we have been able to give you a great stay. Yes the chocolate is lovely isn’t it? We look forward to welcoming you back the Ellerthwaite Lodge, remember to give us a ring to make your booking. Take care.
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

If Carsberg did hotels probably best hotel in the lakes cant reccomend this hotel enough stopped in many places in my line of work but this must rate as one of the best staff are 5 star nothing to much trouble polite and tend to your every need locatoin excellent . Hotel clean food exceptional do not past up the chance to visit .

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Gillian B, Guest Relations Manager at Ellerthwaite Lodge, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you so very much for this review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and your recommendation has put ‘Cheshire cat’ smiles on our faces. We love providing a good service and to get such a review makes us all feel great too.