“Great stay, recommended”

The Firgarth
Ranked #34 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
“Great stay, recommended”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great stay in the Firgarth B&B. Very friendly and helpfull staff. Free parking space next to the building. It's not in the Windermere centre so it's not so crowded. The staff gave us good recommendations for restaurants and things to do in the area. They even lent us small book with good hikes. Although wifi wasn't very fast, they gave us additional internet booster for free. They also asked about special dietary requirements. Room are not very posh but good quality and clean. Bathrooms renovated and clean. Good breakfast included in the price

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monau17
OwnerWindermere, Owner at The Firgarth, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found us helpful and friendly. Thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
hyde,cheshire
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Thought I would revisit this b & b after my great experience before! Last time I stated it should be four star and now they are awarded what they deserve! The rooms are still as fresh and clean as last visited not tired in anyway, the breakfast was even better than I remembered and nothing was too much trouble for Pam or Col. Definitely worth the revisit and I will be returning again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OwnerWindermere, Owner at The Firgarth, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for the review we are so pleased you enjoyed your second visit just as much as the first! It is always great to welcome back returning guests. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The Firgarth was the first b&b I have stayed and it has certainly set the bar high!
Upon arrival we were greeted by host Pam who was so friendly and had so much information about the local area! This was fantastic as the places recommended to us were perfect, even with the bad weather! We were also offered tea or coffee upon arrival which automatically made you feel very welcome :)! After a lovely chat about the area with Pam and Colin they then showed us to our room and they offered to help us with our bags! We were showed to our beautiful room which had a king size bed. I couldn't find any fault with the room at all, the bed was absolutely perfect; so comfy and just want you need after the long day of exploring! The personal touches were also lovely, the little SeaKelp shampoos etc... The main thing that impressed me was the attention to detail, when I went to breakfast I asked for green tea as I don't drink coffee or normal tea, anyway; the next morning in our room they had left green tea in with the normal tea and coffee so I could have one in my room , this was something that really made you feel special and the kind of attention to detail that made our stay at The Firgarth extra special. The other thing that I was excited about after reading reviews was breakfast!! After reading all the comments and how brilliant it was I certainly wasn't disappointed and the next day the scrambled eggs that I had were... the best I have ever had!! Yet again Pam was so attentive to anything we needed. I could list so many more positives but I would be here forever! All I can say is the Firgarth really was a home away from home... Just perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Danielleabelle
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We wanted a good value B&B for our stay over the 2013/2014 New Year. Had read good reports so booked for four nights. All the reviews were right this was a great place to stay. Our hosts Pam and Colin were so helpful in every way, giving us suggestions for trips and places to eat.
Breakfast was a highlight of the day with so much to choose from, would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 2paint
Sydney
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here towards the end of our 4 week trip in Europe and were a bit weary by this stage, my partner also had a pretty bad cold.

The host who greeted us was informative and courteous but I wouldn't go as far as friendly. We did arrive late in the day so perhaps he was tired. We were shown to our room upstairs (beware there are no lifts so you will have to carry luggage). The room was clean and tidy although it had a funny odour of staleness. I am rather sensitive to smells so it may not bother others. The room faced the street and our window opened to the sound of cars zooming past so it wasn't particularly pleasant but I could not stand the smell so we kept the windows open.

There was a sign that clearly stated you were not allowed to bring take away food into the room. I can't say I frequent BnBs, I usually opt for hotels, however since we were in the lakes district we thought we'd try something more appropriate for the area, so I am not sure if this is normal but I thought it was rather rude. My partner was not feeling well but since I couldn't bring him food we had to head out for dinner on both nights we were there.

The breakfast was filling and freshly cooked but nothing outstanding, slices of toast, jam, bacon and eggs and cereal.

I'd like to reiterate that we don't usually stay in BnBs which is what might be colouring my review, however I wouldn't stay here again, service was indifferent, breakfast was average, the room was clean but average and the fact that you can't eat in the room when you're sick was just the cherry on the cake. Out of the 10+ places we stayed at on our trip, this would probably be at the bottom.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank noemitravels
OwnerWindermere, Owner at The Firgarth, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
I will run through your comments as they have appeared in your review.

As you stated you were weary when you arrived and also late, the fact that your partner had a bad cold may also had something to do with the fact that you didn't feel I was friendly, clearly my fault! Yes you were late when you eventually arrived, well after our normal check in time and I would probably have been eating my evening meal however, I offered you tea/coffee and gave you a map of the area and suggested places to visit and restaurants to dine.

You are right there is no lift at The Firgarth; the house was built in 1875 and even if we wanted to add one it wouldn't be possible. Your room was on the first floor so there was one flight of stairs, we always offer to help guests with luggage so you wouldn't have carried your own luggage too far. As your Trip Advisor profile suggests your age range is 25-34 I am surprised you found this difficult. You should have mentioned when booking you had mobility issues and we would have referred you to our website and the site you booked through as both state all our rooms are on the first and second floor.

You never mentioned a problem with the room or with its location. When you chose to stay at The Firgarth our main picture clearly shows where we are situated, it is up to you to research your accommodation. If things were so bad you should have spoken to me and you could have left.

Again you are quite right we do ask guests not to bring take away food into the bedrooms (would you eat takeaway in your own bedroom?). If you had brought takeaway back to the guest house what would you have used for cutlery etc? Also none of the rooms have a dining area so you would have been sat on the bed. Oily foods like curries if spilt on bedding cause stains that will not wash out, if such food is spilt on carpets the carpet is ruined and left stained for the next guest which we wouldn't find acceptable nor would the next guest! Had you mentioned your partner was so ill that he couldn't face eating out we would have been more than happy to let you eat in the breakfast room, however again you never mentioned it.

As for your comments regarding breakfast there is a much greater choice than you have stated in your review, you were asked on arrival if you had any special dietary requirements and again nothing was brought to our attention.

Something you haven't mentioned in your review is the fact that you thought it was OK to dye your hair in the bathroom which left the tile grout with a drab pink colour and our white towels with a pink tinge, we did however manage to remove the dye from the pillow case.

As stated you usually stay in hotels, there are plenty of excellent hotels to stay at in the Lake District, I suspect budget was the major factor for choosing a B&B.

None of the issues you had with your stay at The Firgarth were mentioned to any staff member at the time. Why? Yet you choose to write about your stay on this site!

I have read some of the other reviews you have entered on this site, and you have been critical of most in someway even those you scored high. As you appear to know more about running accommodation businesses than the people running them can I suggest you make this your next career move.

We are open to constructive criticism and will happily discuss with guests ways we can improve but reviews like yours help no one including other travellers. Having a title of 'Senior Contributor' on Trip Advisor doesn't make you an expert.

The only positive I can take from this review is the fact the you wouldn't come back.
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Friendly hosts,excellent food, cleanliness superb. Stayed here three nights and must say apart from seeing other guests at breakfast you would not know anyone else was there. We were in room 3 and did not hear hardly a sound. The double glazing copes well with any road noise and the room itself was spotless. The en-suite shone and the shower is excellent.

Room Tip: Room 3 was fine , no knowledge of other rooms.