“The finest view in the Lake District with food to match.”
Review of Holbeck Ghyll

Holbeck Ghyll
Ranked #25 of 74 Restaurants in Windermere
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“The finest view in the Lake District with food to match.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Our visit to this outstanding Lakeland hotel was for the occasion of my wife's birthday. We had booked for lunch and we were blessed with a beautiful day. On arrival, we were amazed by what must be the finest view in the Lake District. The Langdale Pikes and Coniston Old Man stood out far better than from any other location I have visited. We were warmly welcomed by every member of staff we met. We both ordered crab as our starter and it proved to be an excellent choice. We followed this with the most superb Sirloin Steak, cooked to perfection and it literally melted in our mouths! Our waiter Andrew was very attentive, friendly and professional.
We would thoroughly recommend the Holbeck Ghyll for an outstanding Lakeland experience and one that will leave special memories.

Visited July 2014

Rugby, England, United Kingdom
“A thoroughly quality meal”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My fiancee and I eat at Holbeck on night two of our mini "Trip"..for those that saw the Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon series on the BBC…we eat here the night after the two Michelin Starred L'Enclume…a tough follow? Yes, that restaurant is nigh on perfect..my review for that restaurant is to be penned shortly, however Holbeck delivered with some highly accomplished dishes.

We eat off the Gourmet (tasting menu) priced at £88 a head and a couple of the highlights across the 7 courses were a starter, the main and a dessert. The starter of pan fried scallops with an artichoke puree, crisped bacon rind and a sherry jus was a real highlight, and when the menu really kicked off for me. Great combinations, beautifully presented and cooked to perfection.

The main of guinea fowl, with guinea fowl croquettes, tarragon gnocchi, pea puree, crisped skin with a truffle foam was superbly executed. The meat was cooked with real care, it fell apart with a fork and the use of a water bath to keep the moisture in was clearly shown. The use of the croquettes and puree was a nice touch, bringing techniques from previous courses (ham hock croquettes and an artichoke puree used in two separate courses). The truffle foam was excellent, and actually very light and not over powering, something which lesser restaurants fall down on, bombarding the diner with expensive or exotic ingredients.

The dessert entitled "rhubarb" was served 4-5 ways alongside two small panna cotta's with a rhubarb gel, sorbet, crumb, tuile and raw and a small spherical bead. For a relatively unused ingredient (minus a crumble or two!) it was really well put together and a 'rhubarb neutral' would really enjoy this dish.

Overall a fantastic meal and rightly Michelin starred.

• Visited July 2014
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Fab food,fab place”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Service exemplary ,starters and puddings wonderful as were the canapés and petit fours. The mains were good but not consistent ; obviously depends on the chef on the night ,one night was particularly good,one ok and one good .General style excellent ,the plates looked so pretty it seemed a shame to disturb them ,but the tastes were great too.

Visited June 2014
Binfield, UK
“Stunning views, average food”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I specifically wanted to visit Holbeck Ghyll for afternoon tea on the terrace. As it was my husband's birthday we had the champagne tea. Whilst the views were stunning and the staff polite and willing, we received sandwiches first, no tea and no champagne. Then the tea arrived along with the condiment set, but we'd already eaten the sandwiches by then! The cake stand arrived with a delicious selection of cakes. One thing I particularly enjoy about afternoon tea is the cream scones. Unfortunately they were rather dry on this occasion and, disappointingly, already prepared with jam and cream. However the cream was minuscule and not much jam either. The rest of the selection was scrummy though and, while both of us have a sweet tooth, we couldn't finish them all. The view was worth the visit and the money (£50 including tip) and I'm pleased we visited but I don't think I'd visit again.

Visited June 2014
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
“Stunning location, stunning service, stunning meal!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I went to Holbeck Ghyll as part of a trip through the lakes and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Upon arrival (we were also staying at the hotel) the staff advised us that they had a party of 30 Americans coming in to dinner that evening and would we be okay with having our meal in a smaller private room. We had a table by a window with views over Windermere and enjoyed what was effectively a private dining experience. Our waitress, Yasmin, was superbly attentive and engaging without being intrusive...real silver service level and a credit to Holbeck. The food was superb and my wife maintains that her desert was the best she has ever eaten...and she used to be a chef at a first class restaurant in London! The wine list was excellent and all the food was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. This was a real red letter eating experience and I have no hesitation recommending it to all.

• Visited June 2014