“Okay”

Ranked #26 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Lovely place, fabulous views. Seated outside in the sunshine for afternoon tea. Given the wrong menus. Never mind, explained we booked for afternoon tea. Sandwiches arrived pot of tea, very nice, but only got 3 finger sandwiches, no plates or napkin! Cakes arrived, lovely, still no plate or napkins. Had to go inside and ask the waiter. This promptly arrived, good job as fingers got a bit sticky with choc cake. Thought we would have a nice glass of wine to finish off! Nearly died when they asked for over £14!!!! Said they would bring the wine and my change to our table, waited a good 10 minutes, and half a glass of wine arrived, very nice, but finally just to say I had to go and ask for my change!! Very nice place, but won't be back. Been it places not as POSH, and had better service, for a fraction of the cost.

1  Thank Mim216

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was lucky enough to get married here, so had lots of trips up arranging things etc, which meant staying a fair amount and eating.
it's just always perfect, it doesn't have a bad day. If the weather's bad it's dramatic, if the weather's good it's bliss.
you'll love it!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had just visited the Yorke Arms - so I suppose Holbeck were in a hiding to nothing.

Parking is ridiculous - just 6 spaces outside - and I had to drive ( and then walk back ) 400 yards away up a steep hill. Not good. And in near dark. They should have a valet service.

The pre dinner canapés were ok. The dining room isold fashioned, with tables a bit too close for my liking. The views are absolutely stunning.

Service is not fussy - they were not on top of topping up water and drinks. Food service was slow. Food was good but not great. Whilst I can wait to go back to the Yorke Arms - I wold think twice about going to Holbeck.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Sunday lunch is a big ask: can anyone ever measure up to mum's roast and Yorkshires? Well, yes: at Holbeck Ghyll they can. Our group of four enjoyed a three course meal at Holbeck Ghyll and there was no element whatsoever that disappointed. The scallops I had for starter were wonderfully complimented by raisins which had been curried and deep fried (a kind of raisin pakora, if you will) and spiced cauliflower puree. The crab and tuna enjoyed by others was beautifully presented and the flavours were delicate and complimentary.
Three of us opted for lamb for main, and were not disappointed. The meat was cooked to perfection and almost melted in the mouth. One of our party had the beef and it was so tender you could see it!
The deserts were presented in a variety of innovative ways, but we essentially had sticky toffee pudding, rhubarb and custard and creme brulee. All were fantastic endings to a woderful meal.
Service was friendly and helpful: none of the pomp and starchiness of some establishments of this calibre.
Also worth a mention is the setting. The views of Windermere are breathtaking, and got us just in the right mood for some water-skiing just after lunch!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

In summary I expected more for the money. There was no mention of Michelin so I suspect that no longer applies. The food did not always live up to expectations - crab not very tasty, fish had been under the salamander a bit long and the lamb was very good but a bit swamped by the tapenade. Good scallops, pudding, petit fours and front of house staff were friendly and attentive without being over the top.