“Brilliant Find!”

Ranked #14 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Find!”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Travelled up to this Guest house for Bonfire night up in the lake district with my girlfriend as a surprise! Stayed Monday- Wednesday and had the most amazing time! Only just got round to reviewing this and for this I can only apologise!

First thing I need to say is how good Rob and Sara are as hosts. I've never felt so welcome in a guest house. Really easy to check in, with Rob showing us to our room, which was at the very top of the house, I think it was room 6? Rooms are quite small, but it isn't an issue as it just adds to the appeal of the building. You could tell that they had just had a refurbishment on the bathroom, lovely hot and powerful shower! The bed was so comfy with really soft and clean bedding. There was loads of storage room for our luggage and space to hang up what we needed! The free wifi is a bonus and works well, even in the highest room! Breakfast was amazing, with a choice of various fruits and cereals, followed by a hot breakfast of your choice, freshly cooked with local ingredients! Rob and Sara couldn't do enough to make the stay an experience. They had plenty of local knowledge and recommended places to eat within walking distance. We tried two of the recommendations and couldn't have been more impressed! Bowness itself is a lovely place and you can access so many beautiful places in the lakes. I would recommend the Lakeland Motor Museum if you are into your cars, also took the chance to watch a film at the Royalty Cinema which is an old style single screen cinema with the curtains etc. Amazing experience!

The only downside to the guest house is the parking situation. With us staying through the week it wasn't as much of an issue, but I can image at weekends it could get quite busy. There is a public car park across the road which isn't too expensive, but I'm not sure of the parking arrangements for over night on it, there is free parking on the road in front and opposite the hotel.

Can't recommend this hotel enough and will be returning soon! It was so good I was minutes away from booking another night! (Rob even offered to phone in sick to work for me!)

Thanks again to Rob and Sara and I hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: Attic Room!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This time last week me and my fiance booked this guesthouse and set off to the lakes for a few days. My fiance is Canadian and I wanted to take him to a beautiful part of England that we could both enjoy whilst he was here on holiday!

On the way down to Windermere I got a phone call from Sara just making sure I knew the way there and my approximate time of arrival so her and Rob would be there to greet us both. Once arriving at the guesthouse we were welcomed by Rob and Sara who made us feel so welcome and after a long drive from the Wirral it was lovely to see some smiling faces!!

Once we had checked in Rob helped us with our luggage and showed us to our room for the next two nights. We stayed in Room 6 and it was so warm and welcoming. The shower was hot and powerful and I couldn't fault anything in the room. The next morning when we had breakfast again we were greeted by Rob & Sara both with smiles and asking us what we planned on doing during our stay. The breakfast was delicious - Proper Cumberland sausages and all the trimmings.

When you stay at Autumn Leaves you can visit the Old England Hotel from the free passes provided from Rob & Sara. You can go swimming or you could visit the sauna rooms there. Unfortunatley we didn't get time to visit this hotel but we actually walked past it on the way down to the lakes.

I could not fault one thing about our stay, this guest house is situated in the centre of lovely shops and restaurants - Rob & Sara will recommend places to eat for you. I will definatley be coming back soon!! They made my first experience of the Lake District a great one and me and my fiance we're sad to leave.

Thank you so much to Rob & Sara for your hospitality, I will be recommending this place & I will hopefully be bringing my mum & dad as well next time!! :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My friend and I have just spent a night at Autumn Leaves as a stop-over on the way south and we couldn't have picked a better place. We had a very friendly welcome and being ladies of a certain age we even had our suitcases carried up to the room for us which was much appreciated. The house is beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. Would recommend this guest house to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bungeeflyer
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at Autumn Leaves Guesthouse,Windermere. Hosts Rob and Sarah are a Lovely couple...Rob was very friendly and Welcoming on our arrival and they both made us feel very Welcome throughout our stay.Autumn Leaves is very clean and modern though the character of the building has been retained.The Guest house is situated in a quiet area of Windermere overlooking a small park... we had a very pleasant view through the window.It is not far from the shops and within reasonable walking distance from the Lake though you would probably need a taxi for a night out!I would say it was in the perfect location for walking and sightseeing as the local buses,train services are very close by.There are also some great Restaurants in the area.We booked a Double and a single room and have no complaints.Breakfast was lovely....Im Vegetarian but my friends arent though this wasnt a problem.Rob and Sarah lent us Walking maps so we could make the most of our stay.I would Love to stay here again and highly recommend.The Guesthouse also offers a Leisure pass for The old England Hotel though sadly we didnt have chance to use it...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diana T
Lancashire
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My wife and I had a couple of nights here as a much-needed break. Rob and Sarah were excellent hosts, welcoming and friendly and providing a really good English breakfast.

The rooms are clean and well-furnished, and there are plenty of leaflets suggesting local places of interest as well as their own recommendations.

We enjoyed our stay very much, and will probably return, time permitting!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lancastrian101
Reading UK
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just returned from a long week end at the Autum Leaves. As stated by previous guests a warm welcome awaits you from Rob & Sara. Comfortable room and a nice breakfast to start the day. They know the area well and can advise you on any walks long or short. Try Autumn Leaves!!

Mick & Jackie

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

Perfect stay in the Autumn leaves. Very welcoming family!
Room was quite small (hence the 4) but perfect for what we needed!
Breakfast was nice too.
Will definitely return there to stay on next visit to Windermere.

• Stayed February 2013