“Think I was on my own”

Ranked #255 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Think I was on my own”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

It took 20mins before anyone came to the door on my arrival. I had to call on the phone number above the door before the chap came.

First impression was the smell of wet dog.

Next was that I didn't need to be alone in a lift with the bloke to get to my room on the first floor.

Then the room. It was a double, but they'd squeezed an extra single and two armchairs in. 2 plug sockets were all I had, one of which powered the tv. And the en suite was pretty rank.

The single-glazed window was condensated, drafty and mouldy, and even with the radiator turned up to full the room was freezing.

Breakfast was too late for me to be able to have any before needing to leave.

When I left after my second night, no-one was at the bar (which doubled as reception) despite me ringing the bell, so I left my key on the bar.

Didn't see the owner/manager bloke at all after he led me to my room initially, so couldn't pass any of this on or give him a chance to remedy it. I'd avoid, there's many better establishments in Blackpool to use if visiting out of season.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Waterboyham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Liverpool
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have given this little hotel in central Blackpool an 'excellent' This doesn't mean I think it is a 5 star hotel. It means that for comfort and value it would be very difficult to beat! IF it is your custom to focus on negatives such as imperfect grouting, restricted views, the size of showers etc then this is possibly not the right choice for you. IF, you are looking for a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel on a budget then you could not get any better!

Another impromptu decision to spend NY Eve in Blackpool led us to the Lanayr.......entirely pot luck. We knew roughly what we wanted to spend, that we wanted it central with on site car parking (a problem with a lot of establishments in the centre) and with en suite facilities. The Lanayr ticked all the boxes and so we booked for two nights. Alan, gave us a very warm welcome, asking (and remembering) our Christian names and offering information should we need it. He asked us not to hesitate to ask if we needed anything.

Our room was warm and comfortable with a flat screen t.v, complimentary tea/coffee/chocolate/biscuits and a lovely touch (because it was New Year ) a complimentary bottle of bubbly! Thank you Alan, much appreciated! Beds felt hard on first contact but both of us slept really well and there were more than enough pillows (thank you)

Although, on this occasion, we only had bed and breakfast which was very good, we heard Alan's dinners were superb as he is an excellent chef. Most of our comrades on New Year's Eve were returning patrons which speaks volumes with so much choice!

I would just like to say that there are two member's clubs, one round the corner and one further down Reads Avenue which were exceptionally welcoming with entertainment and I must mention the Reads Grill also on Reads Avenue. This is a good old fashioned café with excellent service and a good choice at very reasonable prices. In fact, book at the Lanayr and you don't even need to leave Reads Avenue!!!!! Am joking.......the wet, windy prom is a MUST to blow away the cobwebs before breakfast.

We look forward to meeting you again in 2014 Alan

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathcody
birmingham
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed for 5 days in August and was disappointed but not completely surprised. The staff and owner are welcoming and friendly but the building itself is in need of a major refurb. The location is great, parking is as good as you can get in Blackpool. The breakfast was decent, plentiful and had a good variety to choose from. However,as mentioned the building needs a lot of attention. The rooms (2 of which i spent time in) are very dated as too is the majority of the furniture. Repairs are needed quite extensively in what i personally saw. The plumbing, some of the electrical fittings, shower cubicles/toilets, general decor, cracks in ceilings, windows all need attention. I am sorry to have to be so negative but as i said i am not surprised, when(in their defence) owners have to charge as little as £20 B&B just to get people through the doors then there must be very little left after costs and wages to reinvest in the property. Obviously things are slowly going to get worse. If they charge any more people don't want to know. In my opinion an ever growing number of establishments in Blackpool are in the same predicament. They are in a no win situation. I have been going to and staying in Blackpool for around 50 years and things in general have slowly but surely took a turn for the worse so much so that i for one have decided that a day trip will be all i can foresee in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank mark d
Reims, France
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A lovely, peaceful place on a wonderful location. Great welcome, wonderful food and lots of personal attention. There’s nothing more to ask for! 2min from social club good night out good parking we booked again for new year.

Room Tip: the social club for good night out.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helen w
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of days whilst supporting a disabled gentleman on holiday and was highly impressed throughout. The eccentric host, Alan, made our stay a memorable one right from the very start and couldn't have been more warm or charming. The rooms were impeccably clean and the full English breakfast gets a 5 star approval from me. Although I couldn't taste the delights of the bar as I was there in a strictly professional capacity, I did note that - much like the hotel itself - they were very reasonably priced.
All in all, a lovely hotel with a great host. If I return to blackpool, I most certainly will use the lanayr again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

told of this hotel while on holiday;when we arrived the welcome was very nice with staff only too willing to help you the rooms were nice and warm alittle dated but the welcome made up for that;the english breakfast was superb in the dining room we were told of the attractios and the staff helped us were to go;yes a very nice stay at the lanayr and thank you all

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Stockport
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed at the Lanayr Hotel in Blackpool last weekend as I was going to a show at the Winter Gardens. We arrived at the hotel on a blustery saturday afternoon, we parked our car in the hotel car park and were greeted at the door by Bashir. The check in process was simple and efficient, we were then shown to our rooms. Our twin room was nicely decorated and very clean, we settled in and then went out for the evening. The next morning we went down to breakfast and we were greeted on arrival in the breakfast room. We were served at our table and the breakfast was fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble for this hotel and I will definately be returning the next time I am in Blackpool. Thank you for making our stay great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends