“Hotel from hell”
Review of Gainsborough Hotel

Gainsborough Hotel
Ranked #759 of 861 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel in early December as we thought we would have a short break before the christmas period, we were sorry we bothered, we should have stayed at home. We arrived at the hotel only to be told the room we booked was not available, however, it would be available after the occupants left the following day. Given that we were only stayng 3 nights and the check out time being 10.00 am we would be able to change rooms at lunchtime the following day, changing rooms would not have been an option as we intended to go shopping early morning and did not want to hang around until the original room was cleaned ect. We were offered no discount for the first evening and we were asked to pay the balance on arriving at the hotel. The floor in our room was so uneven it made me feel sea sick, the window in the bathroom was hanging out and would not close properly and it was so cold I wore a towelling dressing gown to bed. There was no food available other than the breakfast that was served at 9 to 9.30 am. The hot water tap i the bathroom only provided cold water. The sea view could only be seen if you strained your neck to look out the rather high window. During our stay we met 2 other couples who said they would never return to this hotel, one of these couples had water coming through the ceiling in their room. When we complained about the cold room we were given an electric heater. We had no clean towels given throughout our stay, this place is a nightmare come true. Something needs to be done about this hotel, I feel this hotel has a few good rooms, however, when they have quite a few bookings they place people in rooms that shoud be condemned. No entertainment, a freezing cold bar, no food available, and the breakfast was reasonable if it had not have been that the fried eggs were swimmiing in fat.. Please Please believe me you do not want to book this hotel, The good reviews are either untrue or the writers of the reviews have had one of the good rooms. Our experience of this hotel has really made us more careful in booking hotels we have not seen. Having had time to think about our exoerience we should have went to another hotel, however, as we paid a deposit when we booked and the balance prior to seeing te room, we definately made a mistake. I have never felt so strong about anywhere we have stayed and my previous reviews show that we are quite fair in writing our review, but I would urge you to not book this hotel or if you do book it do'nt pay anything until check-out. I could write a lot more but really do not want to dwell on this experience for to long as it brings back horrible memories of our stay at this hotel.. I really hope this review helps as I would not want anyone to have a short break ruined by people who do not care for others and are only interested in what money they can make at the expense of others. I would also add that it is only the hotel that has a problem not Blackpool.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WalesBlodwen

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I frequently stay at hotels, a different hotel every 3 or 4 weeks at least and have never found the need to write in trip adviser. I felt that I must howevever make people aware that the hotel room that we booked was not the one that we booked and that there is false representation on the internet.The room number108 was so small that the only place we had enough room to get dressed was where the door opened.There was no wardrobe as one would not fit in the room, just a rail. The bathroom was also the smallest I've ever seen in my life, you even had to leave the door open to bend down to the sink when using it. the shower pressure is also still poor and the towels still small as reviewed by other people earlier.The size of the room put a damper on the whole weekend break and if I'm quite honest we were desperate to leave.
To be fair the room was newly decorated andclean and the manager and his family and the Irish girl at breakfast time were very hospitable.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you pay on the internet
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chancychancy
Reviewed 16 November 2011

after reading other reviews feel shocked at them,thought trip advisor was a review for this hotel not blackpool!!! we have stayed at this hotel many times, as a couple or with family. owners are very friendly, always accomadating, breaskfast is lovely, something for every one to eat, alot of choice. stayed in other hotels in blackpool but always feel welcome here. mr lovatt stoke on trent

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel on speck for 2 nights on 26th october 2011 and what a pleasant hotel, the rooms were clean, furniture fine, beds comfortable, bedding as you would expect clean & crisp. The owners went out of their way to make our short stay as perfect as we would hope for. The walls of the rooms were thick so no other noise from ajoining rooms. The entertainment was good with singers that were very professional the hotel bar charges reasonable prices. The breakfast ,well I can only say perfect what a brill start to day! tea or coffee bought to your table then its help yourself to cereals and buffet with all you can eat fresh well cooked food with everyting to make your breakfast enjoyable..
Will be definatley returning to this hotel. Well done Gainsborough Hotel I give 9+ stars

Room Tip: Choose this hotel for excellent value
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kayastbury
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just returned from a three night stay at the Gainsborough Hotel. My husband had wanted to stay at Norbreck as we had been there before, but fortunately for us, it was fully booked. I read some of the reviews before I set off and did not tell my family as some were quite bad and I did not want to taint their impresssion before we got there, thinking we should make our own minds up.

When we got there, the parking arrangements were true to their desription and we understood, we would not likely be using our car, if we chose to park, although staff did say they could get our cars out if need be. It did not matter to us, the tram and buses were directly oposite the hotel, which is part of 'the essence' of a Blackpool experience, and Taxi's were also friendly and reasonably priced. We gladly left our car in their care and took advantage of the local transport, much to the delight of our children.

We did not get a sea view in our room, but then- we didnt go to look at the sea through a window so there is no complaint from us there.

The owners made us feel welcome from the minute we set foot in their hotel and remained exactly the same all the way through out short trip. What a lovely family, genuine and hard working. My 4 year old was an instant hit with the owners and got showered with attention, each time they saw him, which went down very well with him.

Lesley in the Dining Room was wonderful, very good with children. A personal thanks for your help this morning whilst I tried to eat breakfast. I realise you cannot be as attentive at busier times, but it was evident the staff will go any lengths to make your stay easier.

The dining room was delighful and we were lucky enough to get a window table each morning, to the delight of our small child. This morning, it had been saved especially for our small son!! The breakfast was wholesone, freshly made and tasty. It was a full english in every sense with everything you would need and expect.

The room- It wasnt the Waldorf, but I never paid Waldorf prices,BUT it was better than ANY room we have had when we have stayed at Blackpool, clean, warm, tidy. I also understand there are refurbishments on the way. We have stayed at Blackpool several times and actually found posher hotels, less friendly and accommodating. The Gainsborough had personality, made by the people that work there.

I am sure some refurbishment will only enhance the experience of staying at this hotel, but the location, cannot be faulted, the staff cannot be faulted - from Management, Breakfast Service, (Lesley in particular), chamber maids and Gabriel in the Bar who again, was a big hit with both my Children, 17 and 4. What a lovely person!

There was entertainment on 2 of the 3 nights we stayed, both nights entertainment was very good for this Hotel. On the 3rd night, we sat talking with staff and management, who made us feel very welcome.

I was witness to one customer complaint and the staff handled this courteously and correctly. I actually agreed with them on that one, they were fully in their rights!!

Needless to say, I would recommend this hotel, just for the staff alone. If you need a car daily, you may not want to park there, but then, I am sure they will find an alternative thats suitable to you as they have all their bases covered. Thank you for a lovely stay, Alfie sends you big kisses and Hugs and is missing you already. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Pay attention to the booking form. If you want a sea view, order it, if you need a room for a specia...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2011

i would like to say how nice it was to stay at the Gainsborough hotel. I found the small hotel clean and all the staff very friendly. Although i was by my self i noticed how good they were with small children, They allow guests to take their dogs making the hotel to have a real family atmosphere about the place.Iwould certainly recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We took our two girls (11 & 13) to Blackpool, staying at the Gainsborough from 23rd to 26th October. We wanted to see the lights, the piers, Pleasure Beach, the Waterpark and of course The Tower. The Gainsborough is brilliantly situated to explore all these experiences. The owners are really friendly and helpful. Our family room was lovely and clean with two double beds and a huge television - though we didn't spend much time in to watch it...

At breakfast you are spoilt for choice and the staff, again, are so friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again, so glad we finally managed to get there! Thank you!

Room Tip: Our room on the side was quiet, but next time I will ask for a seaview.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family