“Disappointing”

Number One South Beach
Ranked #48 of 856 Blackpool B&B and Inns
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I should of been warned off this hotel when the receptionist asked me, when I was booking over the phone, if I was a negro boxer ,when I told him my name is Hayes!
The hotel it's self looked nice enough when we arrived. We were shown to the room which was clean and well presented.
The room had a Jacuzzi, which was the main reason we chose this '5 star' hotel. I started to run the bath and realised there was a problem with the plug. I looked around the room for the phone and to my surprise couldn't find one. So I walked down to the reception. A gentlemen came to the room to look at the plug! It seemed to be an issue with the spring mechanism. He told me he would try and mend the plug or find an alternative solution. 5 minutes later he returned to the room with a plug from the kitchen and one from another room. The one from the other room fitted and he left.
I proceeded to run the bath. Once the bath was filled I turned on the Jacuzzi. A terrible gas filed the room and the Jacuzzi wouldn't turn back on. After several failed attempts and decided to walk back down to the reception and ask for further assistance. The same gentleman returned to my room whilst girlfriend lay in bed very annoyed. He couldn't fix it and told us we had the change rooms. Our new room was definitely a down grade. Smaller and no views.
We both finally managed to have our Jacuzzi and decided to watch a DVD.
The DVD player wasn't working. Again I walked down to the reception, in my bathrobe and very p***ed off. Another gentleman came to the room and proceeded to tune in the tv! No av button, no hdmi! Tune in the DVD player ffs!
We lay down to watch the film.
We were both sweating and hot. At first we put it down to just getting out of the bath, but we became hotter and hotter. We had both windows wide open and all curtains open, but It didn't help. We couldn't sleep.
The next day I handed back the room key, politely told them we was not having breakfast and how we were unhappy. They gave us £25 off our £150 bill.
Bunch of cowboys!

• Stayed September 2012
16 Thank mikehayes1979
NumberOneSouthBeach, Owner at Number One South Beach, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
We don't usually respond to negative posts as we feel there are always two sides to a story and that prospective guests are intelligent enough to read through the lines and make up their own minds.

However, on this occasion, we really feel that there are a number of hurtful and upsetting mistruths as well as a couple of valid issues and for those we sincerely apologise which we also did at the time and we also felt we did our utmost to put matters right.

Regarding the "negro boxer" comment - it wasn't a receptionist but in fact one of the business’ Partners and Directors who would never in this wild world dream of saying such a thing but instead said "how do you spell Hayes, is it the same as the boxer?" now I really feel that is not making a comparison, just a friendly question but obviously taken the wrong way and for that we do apologise.

We are very definitely not a 5 star hotel and all our literature, websites etc. state our VisitBritain accreditation as 5 star Gold Guest Accommodation which really means that we are much smaller, (we only have 14 rooms), family run, offer very different facilities and as such our rates are noticeably lower than that of a 5 star hotel. One difference is that we are not required to have telephones in the room and to be honest we did previously provide them but they were very infrequently used as guests preferred to use their own mobiles thinking that the in house telephone rates would be expensive; the maintenance cost to ourselves was excessive so we had the system removed feeling our money would be better spent elsewhere.

It is regrettable that the plug malfunctioned, but in this instance it could be resolved swiftly by swapping it. Unfortunately this could not be said of the whole Whirlpool bath (not Jacuzzi), nor was it able to be repaired on a Saturday night. There was no mention of any gas however and the bath worked perfectly when inspected by a technician the following day. We apologised profusely though and were very grateful that there was a room available to offer, as we have been full every other Illumination weekend. As is imaginable, our sea-view rooms are booked up first and therefore there was no other option. However, the room was not smaller and if anything larger!

We are entirely culpable for not checking the functionality of the DVD player, and it was quickly tuned in again. Modern DVB televisions recognise new channels available and re-tune, however if the DVD player is not switched on at this point then the connection is lost. It is a problem we are working hard to find a solution for. The reason it is not connected via AV or HDMI is due to the DVD player being linked to two televisions, so that it can be watched in both the bathroom and bedroom at the same time. A facility our guests enjoy immensely.

We are very sorry for the heat of the room, that evening was a particularly warm summer’s night. However there is no mention of the air conditioning fans in each of our rooms, which do not sound like they have been used.

The near 20% price reduction for the loss of view and also that breakfast was not required; we had hoped was compensation enough and are very sorry for the genuine issues with your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Don't hesitate to spend the extra money on this hotel. We did and were not disappointed. From the time we walked in the door all the way up to and into our room we were extremely impressed. The decorations were lovely, the paintings and all the artwork were top notch. The staff were nice, friendly and helpful. It was an amazing place.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean M
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and could not have made a better choice in hotel option. The owner and his wife are so lovely the made the stay as well as the surrounding in which they run their business which really is the hight of luxury.
The were the perfect hosts and give suggestion on what to do when in Blackpool.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, which was finished as all the hotel to very high standards.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John_M186474
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was booked through work for me and I was not disappointed!

The room I had was amazing, more like a junior suite, amazing big bed, lovely big bathroom with an amzing sunken bath with whilpool facility and a full size glass shower cubicle with rain head, mmm beautful.

Mood lighting, full lighting bed side lighting, you choose, tv in the room, tv in the bathroom, no problems!

Attention to detail is very high here and I was very impressed with the little things like a box in the wardrobe with items you may have forgotten like pins and shoe shin, all complimentary, one in the bathroom for bath salts and cotton wool buds.

Breakfast was beuatiful, cooked at a time you agree to the night before, toast orange juice, fruit yoghurts etc, the cooked breakfast was so perfect, no fat nor dripping in oil, credit to the chef and his culinary skills.

Only down side, the hot in the common areas is so hot!! They know and they do say its due to it being a new build which is fine but still PHEW!

I cannot wait to stay again and try a different room, 14 to go!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
barnsley
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Booked this hotel after googling 'luxurious hotels blackpool' and despite it appearing as an oxymoron to a lot of people the first one to pop up was this hotel and not at all disappointed!

When we arrived we did a little double take as it does not look much from the outside but when you get in the interior is delightful! We were met by a very enthusiastic young man who stated 'his Dad and business partner' run the premises- he was very chatty friendly, took us to our room and showed us how to use everything! I was so impressed with Room 3 - Indulge. Beautifully decorated to a very high standard (MUCH better than a recent stay in a Suite at the Hilton in London) and the only negative was that we were only staying for one night!

It was great to be in a hotel that thought about the environment, who proudly wrote down all their suppliers and offered and individual breakfast menu. I just wish I could have eaten in the restaurant but it was closed as it was a Sunday evening.

We went to a restaurant called Henrys Grill in nearby lytham on the recommendation of the lad who checked us in and that was really fabulous food. After that we had a shower in the lovely spacious shower and snuggled down to watch a DVD from the hotels free DVD library!

the breakfast the next morning was lovely and overall a fabulous experience ! I will certainly be staying here again when I next visit my brother and will see if we can check out all the rooms!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rainfromthesky
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel last November, this hotel is outstanding and luxurious , I was on business for 3 nights and was on my own well, the TV in the Jacuzzi bath was my company for the duration , apart from food and drink. the Trust policy is a really added value -although I did not use it for drinks, personal service from staff outstanding
If I ever stay in Blackpool again this will be the only place I would stay at. Class!!!
Spicerhaart Consultant

Room Tip: You have to try this place, every room is unique
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

Good points:
We were able to check in early.
Parking wasn't an issue.
At the quieter, nicer end of BP
Sumptuous, comfy bed!
Spotlessly clean
Friendly staff (especially young lad on duty Sunday night 10/10!)

Bad (ish) points:
Bedside light didnt work - not a big deal, but the young lad who checked us in and then demonstrated the lighting system saw this during his demo and did nothing - I then reported it to him later as we popped out.... Sadly (& I willed this not to be the case) it still didn't work on our return a few ours after :-( (5*?). To be fair when I let the lady know as I checked out, she was mortified and I'm sure it would have been a different story had she of been about when we reported it.
Whirlpool bath lasted no more than 5 minutes and so my husband missed out on Saturday and me Sunday... (this might be normal? Just seemed a bit tight..)
Couldn't get the Mirror above sink to light up (sensor thing) but maybe that was just us?? (I had told the young lad that on Saturday to..)
Sweeteners not replaced in room - (only 2 to start with) and only left with 1 breakfast tea bag for Sunday. Yes I could have asked for some more, but the point being this is 5* and we paid £265 for 2 nights.

Don't get me wrong it was a lovely break and the good far outweighed the teeny little niggles!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple