“We go back again and again!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Number One South Beach

Number One South Beach
Ranked #49 of 913 Blackpool B&B and Inns
Workington, United Kingdom
“We go back again and again!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We've been to this hotel a few times and have always thoroughly enjoyed it! It's the personal touches that make this hotel stand out from the crowd. Nothing ever seems to be too much trouble for them. They've recommended restaurants and clubs for us which have always been great. We stayed on New Years Eve and were greeted by mince pies in our room. Lovely little touch! The DVD library is also an excellent addition. The whole hotel is decorated to an extremely high standard and I really feel it is the staff who make this a perfect place to stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Carly W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Room was very nice modern and well-equipped with view over little park and out to sea, with small veranda.Very high tech lighting system which one of us enjoyed playing with, the other thought it unnecessarily complicated! Met by manager who was pleasant and welcoming but a bit TMI when you are in a hurry - he served us a brandy in the little bar late in the evening. We had initially intended to have dinner there, but a day or two before got an email saying no dinner served that night as the chef (father of the manager) was away at a family event. In the end suited us OK, but could have been irritating, and can't comment on the cuisine. Breakfast was delicious, excellent quality on all aspects, with pleasant service from the lady who seemed to be manageress. Happy to recommend this hotel
We stayed in Room 12.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and we were very impressed a lot of thought had been taken with the decor and furnishings and the special touches to compliment our stay.Excellent breakfast and had real Weetabix for our little Zak so he was more than happy and the rock given to him by Mark was enjoyed on our journey home.Well done and good luck and hope to see you soon.

• Stayed August 2014
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a weekend away. We were really impressed with the hotel. We stayed in room 15. The room was really great. Nice view from the settee next to the balcony even when the weather was bad. A comfy bed, all mod cons and very well laid out. The bathroom was superb. Breakfast was tasty, plentiful and there was a wide choice. The staff were, without exception, fantastic. Helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and obviously proud of their hotel. We were made to feel very welcome and this added to the overall impression of a well run, high quality establishment. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay here in future when I next visit blackpool.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James O
Bacup, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked this hotel several weeks in advance as the reviews looked very good, the rooms looked beautiful and the price and 5 star rating led me believe this would be something of a real treat. At £145 a night (room 16) my expectations were set pretty high. I have stayed in many hotels in a range of price brackets but I am reviewing this based on my expectation of a 5 star B&B.

On arrival my friend and I were greeted by Graham, first impressions of the hospitality were not that fantastic as he immediately made comments which I found amusing but my friend took as unprofessional - mainly that women can't navigate (speaking to 2 women not a great opening line - maybe try "welcome"). Secondly we were made to wait for our room as although I had specified a twin - and it was on the booking they showed me - the room was made up as a king, but this was compensated with free coffees.
I will say however that the decoration and layout of the B&B was impeccable and to a very high specification - 10/10!

We were showed to our room by a lovely lady called Anna, she was very helpful and friendly in showing us around the room and recommending local eateries.
The room itself, although not very large was bigger than expected from the photographs and again to a very high standard, the whirlpool bath was a very welcomed feature as well as the TV over the bath. The balcony was small but we had a beautiful view of the sea and the park opposite. So far things were pretty good, we felt relaxed and ready to enjoy our holiday.

On returning from a terrible magic act - warning don't go to see High Jinx - we asked for a drink at the bar (to be fair it was approx. 10.30pm), Graham didn't seem amused that I wanted a coffee and pulled many faces which made me feel uncomfortable. I think from previous comments and the condescending tone everything seemed to come with, it was starting to grate of both of us, excuses of being busy and being tired made us feel pretty tired too! I don't want to say I'm unsympathetic but it just didn't come across as very professional.

I don't hold them in any way responsible for the actions of the other guests, however I do object to the reaction the next day in which I felt accused of not doing a job. One of the other guests got very drunk, I tried to help them off the road and managed to get inside but later found the said guest collapsed and unconscious outside the room. I was very worried that the guest could be sick and choke so I phoned Graham and told him about this but was told he couldn't do anything about it - there were no staff present in the B&B overnight so I had to wake up my friend (first aider) who put the guest in the recovery position. We were quite upset about this and barely got any sleep! The next day Graham took me to one side to ask me why I had not told him the guest was on the landing (which I had as why else would I have phoned at 1.30am??) and that he had been sick all over the carpet - he seemed more worried about the carpet to be honest. I was really annoyed at this, not only had I had half a night's sleep looking after his guest, I also was getting a berating as if I were a member of staff! Other staff (not including me apparently) were also clearly upset being quite off with us and other guests - but I think that was due to the upset of the morning's situation. I later went down to chat to the managers about this and although we seemed to resolve most of it, I don't think how the situation was handled was in any professional or with any concern for guest wellbeing or safety and to be honest was potentially life threatening... had we not put him in the recovery position and checked on him frequently I dread to think what could have happened.

Moving on to other areas, breakfast for my friend was excellent, she seemed to enjoy all of the food served and there plenty of choice, sadly for me unless I liked smoked fish - which I don't - I had very little choice but the full English. It was so bad I even told one member of staff after the first day I wasn't looking forward to it again - the quality was dreadful, soggy, tasteless - I've had better in buffet style hotels - certainly not worth the money! My plate was never empty - and not due to portion size.

We would like to end this on a positive note - there was one member of staff who stood out from the rest and that was the young man who no matter what annoying question we asked, always answered professionally and incredibly friendly. I think this young man is the best asset to the B&B so it is sad in a way that he is leaving soon for university.
Some more positives include the DVD library, which was well stocked, the towels, dressing gowns and slippers were a lovely touch and the information in the room was excellent.

In summary, made to feel like an inconvenience, poorly fed but an exceptional room - but I'm sorry I do not feel I can positively recommend your business at your current rates as a supposed 5 star B&B.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Phillippa C
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything was excellent! Couldn't ask for more absolutely 5*, everything thought about and all the details perfect! Friendly and helpful staff, beautiful surroundings, beautifully decorated, lovely food. Loved the spa bath and the bed was extremely comfortable!

• Stayed August 2014
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have just stayed for one night and wish it had been more. The hotel is beautifully decorated, each room having it's own theme. I stayed in Hip Hop ! The beds and pillows were so soft and comfortable, they made you want to stay in bed. We had a jacuzzi bath with a TV !! Wonderful views over the sea and park opposite, very quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Any room, it guess they are all as wonderful as each other.