“hard going”

Blackpool Illuminations
Ranked #23 of 85 things to do in Blackpool
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Visited on a wet early November weekend, but the queue spoiled everything. Not just slow but virtual standstill, yet there were still guys at the roadside asking for donations to the illuminations that most gave up queueing to see. It was SILLY, as those who cant walk far have no chance of seeing this spectacle. Many bulbs out which I guess must be a sign of the times. Arcades seem to be thriving. Stopped for traditional fish and chips from a kiosk near to the fun fair. Really expensive for what they were. Blackpool needs to get a grip of the prices charged generally - it can be a fortune to go into Tussauds etc with a child. Really ridiculous as more seemed to walk in and straight out than take the tour. Surely on a wet weekday in november it would be better to give concessional rates than in high season. Same for the fair which actually charges to go in for anyone daft enough to pay.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,064)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"piers"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 15 November 2013

First time I've been to see the lights in years & first time my son has seen them. They are still as good as I remembered and brilliant for a free attraction although we still spent quite a bit as couldn't resist the arcades and piers. There are plenty of cheap places to eat along the sea front (cant beat fish and chips at the seaside). My top tip is travel in by tram if your not staying in Blackpool itself as the traffic gets busy and parking is around £7-£9.

2  Thank ca09
Reviewed 13 November 2013

An amazing spectacle to see as you walk along the seafront.The work that is put into them is amazing and me and my husband walked at least 5 miles looking at them.Well worth a visit in the cold dark days of winter, a real pick me up.

3  Thank englandadventure57
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Each year we go to see the 'lights' as we all did when we were children, and each year they seem to be getting worse. I dont think we will bother next year.

2  Thank naomis2710