“Excellent, will return”
Review of Alumhurst Hotel

Alumhurst Hotel
Ranked #49 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Alumhurst. This was our first stay but will certainly not be our last. The hotel was warm, beds really comfy, and room clean. Breakfast was lovely and set us up for the day. Hosts Pat and Steve were excellent.All in all excellent value for money.
We will return!
Dianne & Family Barnsley

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Just had a great weekend in Blackpool at the Alumhurst hotel. Can only imagine 47libby s review was about another hotel as our experience was of a friendly welcome from pat the owner allowing us to park on the drive even though we were nt due to book in till one we arrived at ten in the morning. After spending the day at the pleasure beach, freezing cold but fun, we booked into our rooms which were spotless clean warm and comfortable the bed was was very comfortable and after a good nights sleep we went for breakfast in the very nicely laid out and decorated dining room the breakfast and staff serving was first class 5 stars all round .Thankyou.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

very welcomeing,annd very helpful with my husband as he is disabled food exelent and rooms very clean hotel it'sself was very very clean could'nt have asked for any more will be back again thank you pat steve and girls doing breakfast's always served with a smile nothing a problem see you all again.alan sharon drinkwater.

Room Tip: give it a try you'l love it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We arrived at Alumhurst and within minutes a friendly women was stood on the steps smiling, we quickly found out her name as she introduced herself as Pat and helped us park our car. Alumhurst provided us with a lovely warm comfortable room, wonderful hot showers and big white fluffy towels - the bed was comfortable and the room was spotless...

We celebrated our friends 49th wedding anniversary on our weekend( there were twenty of us ) and our friends had chosen the hotel and arranged half board. We were not disappointed, the food was lovely home cooked and fresh, I had a lovely rhubarb crumble and custard-so compliments to the chef. The staff were friendly and we enjoyed lovely drinks in the bar, played darts and pool and listened to the jukebox after spending a couple of hours out dancing at the Stanley Road club. We had a memorable time and hope to return again with our friends to what we consider to be a warm friendly welcoming hotel with lovely home cooked food.
Best Wishes,
Lesley and Robert xx

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

Thank you very much for your excellent review. Steve and I are very pleased that you all enjoyed your visit here and we look forward to welcoming you to the Alumhurst again sometime.
It was a pleasure to meet you all.
Regards

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I would first like to say that as soon as we walked into the hotel we could smell the damp. Up to the room we went to be greeted by wallpaper hanging off the walls black mould in the corner and down the window sides and sills, covered in black mould. Windows were streaming with water and the nets were just dangling in the mess.
Towels were clean bedding was clean heating went off during the night at the coldest time of our stay and the beds were uncomfortable. £95 for two adults and two children, what can i say anymore and we would have walked, good job we were not intending to stay in the room long.
Breakfast was ok but nothing out of the ordinary just the usual on small plates made to look large.
The host well again what can i say just a little brash and forward but as long as you agreed with her i assume you would be ok.
I still can't get that smell out of my head or my nose surely people could smell the damp and see the damp conditions in the rooms.
I DID HOWEVER NOTICE A SIGN STATING SMOKING WAS ALLOWED ON CERTAIN FLOORS!!!! VERY STRANGE !!!!!!!!!!!
Lastly, i would have hated to see this place before it was upgraded my oh my!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Please check that the damp situation is sorted before you go as this will ruin your stay if it has b...
1  Thank 47libby
alumhurst, Owner at Alumhurst Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Not abso;utely sure where you were staying whilst you were in Blackpool but it wasn't here. We don't have any rooms with wallpaper hanging off or with black mould growing on the walls. You also quoted the wrong price for your room. You didn't say anything about any of these problems while you were here and quite franky I am mystified.
Regards

Reviewed 30 October 2012

As a coach driver I have stayed at the Alumhurst with coach parties for the last 10 years, All my passengers state that the hotel is handy for the tower,shops and close to sea front. Other feed back that I receive from them is how friendly Pat & Steve are. How clean and tidy the hotel is with a great choice of menu with excellnt food. I have just returned on a weekend trip with my wife at the hotel, she said she cant wait to go back. looking to book soon.

Room Tip: Front rooms look out to the tower
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Before I write my review of this particular hotel, I would first like to give a few personal perspectives on Blackpool itself. (Apologies to those who already know and love Blackpool!)

The town of Blackpool has many faces:

It has a large, jolly (noisy), recently refurbished seafront with accommodations of varying quality, guests, styles, sizes, conditions and prices.

The seafront extends to the extreme south or north and thus many of the hotels in these more distant locations can be a very long way from the action - (that are the reasons most people visit Blackpool - for amusements, shops, night life etc) resulting in the need to drive, or catch a bus, tram or taxi everywhere - all a drain on the holiday budget - but good for peace and quiet.

The Imperial and the Hilton, for example, are a long way to the north and in a more quiet location, but even here, at least 50% of the guests will have to settle for a room at the back overlooking roof tops.

Behind the central seafront area, (near the excellent Tower and Hounds Hill shopping area), lies the backbone of accommodation for many visitors to Blackpool. The hundreds of small hotels, guest houses and B&B's, for the most part, are converted from original houses in terraced rows, all with different sized rooms - not necessarily originally intended to accommodate guests. Most of them are only a short stroll from the shops and public entertainments.

All of the above factors result in several drawbacks that have no easy solution for small hotel owners:

- not every room will have a nice view
- not every guest can have a front room
- not every room will be quiet
- not every room will be the same size
- not every room will have the same light quality
- most of the back or side rooms will overlook back lanes
- front facing rooms will risk some noise from passing fellow holiday makers

For Fawlty Towers fans, I am reminded of the complaint about the view from a guest's room, to which Basil explains that as the view was of Torquay, and being a hotel in Torquay, you couldn't really expect to see the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

But I digress! I carefully researched the prices for hotels in the Blackpool area for the half term weekend - and discovered that the larger chain owned hotels were charging upwards of £100.00 per room per night. Even the Premier Inns and Travel Lodges were charging over £70.00 per night - this did not include breakfast and also charging extra for parking!

Location and Accommodation at the Alumhurst ...

I wanted central accommodation - where I could walk to the shops, amusements and theatres. I wanted to be able to park my car for free - and leave it there for the whole duration of my stay. The Alumhurst ticked all these boxes. Parking is limited, and allocated on a first book basis, however, Pat and Steve are very helpful in directing to nearby car parks with reasonable prices. Parking is always a problem in urban areas so not an unexpected issue.

Not being as slim as I was once - I was willing to pay extra for the benefit of having a King sized bed, and so opted for one of the premier rooms at the Alumhurst which I based solely on bed size. I was allocated Room 14, on the front, overlooking Charnley Road. This was a lovely spacious room, wonderful comfortable bed with nice crisp white bed linen which was changed regularly.

It was light and airy, nicely decorated, clean and well lit - with a great choice multi-channel TV/DVD player. Yes, it had periods of noise in the late evening, when people were walking past, but hey, this is central Blackpool, and they were isolated incidents. I prefer this to staying further out and needing transport everywhere!

Bathroom was small, but fully functional and modern. The walk in shower was easy to use, with plenty of constantly hot water as required.

My mother was also allocated a premier room with a king sized bed, at the back of the house, and although this was a smaller, darker room, she never heard any noise whatsoever and slept undisturbed for ten nights straight!

My sister was allocated a standard family room at the back and said it was perfectly nice - being very clean and well maintained with lovely comfortable beds and quality TV.

My daughter was allocated a standard double at the back and said that they had really liked the room and especially liked the comfortable bed and reported to having really great sleeps!

None of us were troubled by noises from other bedroom occupants, except during morning showers and people going down to breakfast - all normal activity.

Food at the Alumhurst ...

The food was really good. Breakfasts are fantastic! Any combination of any breakfast option was possible and there was plenty of it. Dinners were really good too - all freshly cooked by the chef. My only disappointment was that these weren't available every day.

Staff at the Alumhurst ...

We were looked after so well by the two young ladies employed to serve us at breakfast and dinner. Nothing was too much trouble and they worked really hard the whole time we were there, also ensuring our rooms were serviced each day. We were all really impressed with the attitude and hard work of these girls and would thank them for making our stay so great.

Owners of the Alumhurst ...

From the very first moment, I warmed to Pat. My very first visit to the Alumhurst - yet I was welcomed like an old friend. Nothing was too much trouble. Steve parked my car for me (one less thing to worry about!) and was a charming host to my husband David in the friendly down stairs bar. Pat was a big hit with my whole family and she spoke to me every day to ensure that all was well and to my satisfaction - and was kindness itself, especially with my elderly mother. Pat was also wonderful with my daughter and boyfriend and many laughs were exchanged. We stayed for ten days, and could have stayed longer.

Having read some (very few) negative reviews, I do understand that everyone has different expectations and that of course this review is my very own personal experience (and that of my family) but I feel sure that any issues could be cleared up directly with Pat at the time, to give her a chance to do something about it, if it is in her power to do so. There was a brief minor disturbance on one evening, as people came back late into the hotel and were chatting on their way to bed past my room, but this was a one off and quite outside the control of any hotel owner.

I would say that if you require solitude and silence, consider staying further out, away from Central altogether, but for me, the convenience of the location more than makes up for a little disturbance now and then.

I would also add that costs are rising for everyone, particularly small businesses. The price of staff wages, food and energy costs are bound to affect hotel prices too.

In conclusion, I had an excellent room, for which I was willing and able to pay a little more. My whole family were pleased with their respective rooms and we all had a really pleasant stay, with excellent food, looked after by efficient and caring staff and hosts - in a warm, clean, family run hotel, in a central location, within 5 minute walking distance of all that we wanted to do. I could not have asked for more.

Room Tip: Premier Room 14 is a very nice room, being on the first floor, facing front, light and airy. Back an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Julie, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you, your mother and the other members of your family who came to Blackpool. Your well thought out comments and excellent review warmed our hearts, coming in the midst of one or two reviews in which we seem to have uset some folk.
Your understanding of Blackpool, the hotels and the area is first class and can't be faulted.
Can't wait to see you all again sometime.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to explain it so much better than I could.
Kindest regards