“Pleasant and clean”

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
York, United Kingdom
“Pleasant and clean”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Just come back from a one night stay at the ibis. Upon arrival, I was very dubious as the entrance area and lift have an awful smell! But once you get into the hotel and into your room, the smell is no longer there. The room was clean and modern. On the small side, wouldn't really like to spend a lot of time there. The shower is fantastic and everything is clean, sharp and modern looking. There was also a heater in the room in case it got too cold. We had a sea view and a great view. Staff was always polite and helpful. Breakfast was simple but did the trick. Plenty of choice from breads, cereals, hot drinks, juice, croissants and cheeses.
No complaints from us at all. Excellent location for all your needs - we will def be booking again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elenahick
Katy M, General Manager at Ibis Styles Blackpool, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I'm so pleased that you had no complaints about your stay and that you found your room to be clean and modern and my Team polite and helpful.

The entrance is cleaned numerous times during the day and night but I am so sorry that you encountered a smell.

When you make your booking for the future, just give us a call and we'll do our very best to allocate you one of our larger rooms. We hope to see you again really soon.

Katy Mace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Polish first
London, UK
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Ibis have improved this former Travelodge, but they've also increased prices and raised expectations. However, it is still good value for money and the location is hard to beat.

Rooms are much the same, but useful additions are suitcase stand, movable overbed table, improved lighting, bath mat and hand/shower gel. Very comfortable bed. All Freeview TV channels now available with correct aspect ratio - can never understand why Travelodge TVs are so bad.

In room WiFi is supposed to be free, but it wasn't available in my room. Although the staff were otherwise helpful and friendly, when I mentioned this it was met with a shrug of the shoulders. This wasn't that important for me, so I didn't pursue it. Worked fine in bar area & seemed to be available elsewhere. Not sure whether the aircon units work now - I didn't need heat or aircon, but there was still a plug-in convector heater in the room.

Breakfasts are better than as Travelodge - though continental only - and included in room rate. The breakfast room is small and counter space is limited - could be congested at peak times. Good selection of drinks, cereals, pastries etc including cheese & ham. Best self-service hot chocolate I've tasted.

Retrograde steps are earlier check out time (11am instead of noon), although I checked in at 1:30pm with no problem (it would have been 3pm for Travelodge). Irritating to have to fill in a paper form with a pen on arrival - no paperwork with Travelodge. They also swiped my credit card - although as far as I could see there was nothing to spend money on anyway.

The improvements are worthwhile - both lifts now work! - but the rooms still need some updating, especially the windows and secondary double glazing. Customer service is better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank UrbanStorm
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I'm so happy that we met with your raised expectations and that you found our Continental breakfast enjoyable.

I mentioned in a previous response to another guest, I have arranged for our Wi-Fi provider to run a diagnostic check to ensure it is running as it should be.

I'm glad you were pleased with our customer service and the additions to the refurbished bedrooms.

We hope we can welcome you back to our Hotel in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Great value stay. This is an old building with a whole new modern interior. The rooms are basically fitted out but nicely done and all new. We had a seaside view which was lovely and we slept well with good windows and curtains fitted. The deluxe continental breakfast is delicious and we could not want for more. And the location is perfect. One point off for very slow wifi. Otherwise we could not fault it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dianna C
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I'm so glad that you had a nearly perfect value for money stay.

I have spoken to our Wi-Fi provider and they are going to run a diagnostic check.

I'm happy you enjoyed our Continental breakfast and that you liked our refurbishment.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel was a complete disappointment to me as it had good reviews on Booking.com. Where do I start? Firstly, there was an unpleasant smell in the entrance and lift areas. The hotel would not allow us to leave our luggage there unless we paid for an early check in for our room. We did this, went up to the room only to find that there was a layer of dust on all surfaces. To say the room was sparsley furnished was an understatement! I can only imagine that the designer for this room got their inspiration from their local HMP! Grey walls for a hotel room - seriously! There was no wardrobe, no drawers and the only space for your clothes was 6 (count them) hangers on a rail. This was a twin room - 6 hangers for 2 people are they joking! I subsequently complained about the cleanliness and asked if I could have some drawers. The grumpy receptionist grudgingly agreed to get the cleaner to go in and dust but said that none of the rooms had drawers in them. We were later told that this hotel used to be a Travelodge and that it was still being refurbished. If this is the case, they should be charging Travelodge prices and not the £69 per night which we paid! It's such a shame as the exterior is beautiful and so much more could have been done to make it look nice. Even a few pot plants in the entrance way or a bit of decoration in the rooms. I should also add that at the weekend, there was noise up until 3 am from the nightclub next door and the howling of the wind sounded like night of the living dead! Whilst I realise that neither of these things were the hotel's fault, there is no way I would stay again. There are many hotels and B & Bs in Blackpool so Ibis need to buck their ideas up if they want to compete - very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EJFrank
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

Please let me apologise that the room decor didn't meet with your personal preference. Our refurbishment is complete now and most of our guests are extremely impressed with the stylish transformation.

Unfortunately we don't hold luggage as we don't got a luggage room in our Hotel, I'm sorry for this.

I'm very sorry that you encountered dust in your bedroom. We pride ourselves on clean bedrooms and please be assured that the issue has been addressed with our Housekeeping Team.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us again.

Tipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Had a great weekend at this hotel the only let down was the continental breakfast no bacon or sausage and the knifes and cups was a bit dirty but they changed them on complaint with no problems. Would stop again :-D

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank chareos
Katy M, General Manager at Ibis Styles Blackpool, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Guest

I'm really glad that you had a nice weekend.

I'm sorry that we don't provide a full English breakfast but I'm happy that this wouldn't discourage you from staying again. I'm also sorry that you encountered dirty knives and cups. I've reminded the Team to check them before they take them into the breakfast room.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a few nights. It was in an ideal location (near the sea and the promenade), but the car parking situation in Blackpool it's ideal anywhere. Wen we got into the room it was clean , and obviously is used as a stag/hen do hotel as there was a bottle opener on the side. The bathroom had been converted into a wet room - this wasn't the best as there was no ventilation in the bathroom and the shower area had mould/lime scale on. It wasn't noticeable to me until my mother pointed it out. I don't sleep we'll in hotels and all night I could hear banging - I found out that the was because the doors don't shut properly. We also had a few problems with the keys - we gt them reactivated and they still didn't work. Breakfast was continental which was good and for the price of out stay you could not go hungry - but unfortunately people still complained - the only suggestion I would have is to have another staff member on at breakfast time to clear plates etc away. There is lots to see and do at Blackpool and I would recommended this hotel to people staying or wanting a holiday in Blackpool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not right next to the promenade as the lights shine through and you can hear...