“Beautiful Steaks”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Steaks”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We visited this restaurant last Wednesday evening during a trip to blackpool after reading reviews on this site. We read that we should not be put off by the exterior and were glad we knew this in advance- although it is small and more like a cafe in appearance, the food was definately of restaurant quality. On arrival we were shown straight to a table and given menus. The restaurant was quite busy and there seemed to be only one waitress there when we arrived. We waited approximately 20minutes before anyone came to take a drinks order which was quite a long wait. We did say another 2 minutes and we were leaving to go to Nandos but thankfully another waitress arrived and came to take our orders. After our order was taken the food arrived quickly.

This minor issue was quickly forgotton when our food arrived. The steaks were beautiful and cooked perfectly. I had the 10oz sirloin cooked medium well and my partner has the 16oz T bone cooked medium rare. Both were cooked perfectly and the accompanying chips, onion rings, mushrooms and tomatoes were lovely. Everything was fresh and full of flavour. The only thing which could have been a bit better was the peppercorn sauce which could have been creamier and more flavoursome. Our daughter also enjoyed her kids meal of chicken goujons and chips. Homemade desserts were offered and looked beautiful but we couldn't manage another bite. The service was also friendly and efficient after the initial wait.

We really enjoyed our meal at JK's and would highly reccomend it. We also found it to be excellent value for money with our total bill coming to £55 for two steaks with all the trimmings, a kids meal, a bottle of prosecco and a giant milkshake (bigger than our 5 year olds head!)

Overall a great find :)

Derby, United Kingdom
“A Major Disappointment”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was really looking forward to eating here during a weekend stay in Blackpool with my 12yo son - we both enjoy a good steak and we eat out quite often. I'm really not one for giving negative reviews but this is going to be one and it'll also be my first; the restaurant really couldn't have got much more wrong, which I would have told them if anyone had bothered to come and ask at any point how we were getting on.

So, we arrived a little after 8pm (unreserved) and the only table available for the two of us was behind the door, which I accepted, saying that it would be fine so long as the door was kept closed. We sat down, to find that the seats are angled backwards (I'm assuming by their design that they are actually outdoor, patio-type chairs) which meant that, when eating, you had to lean forward and kind of perch on the front edge of the seat, which really wasn't comfortable.

Just after we'd sat down and ordered, the manager/owner exclaimed (clearly loud enough for me to hear) "Oh christ, they're all coming back across the road" - which was followed by a group of around 15 burly blokes coming in, filling the reception/bar area (where we were sitting) and generally being boisterous (they were no problem, just a group of blokes out for beers and a steak). They were there, rammed in next to us for about 15 minutes. The door was open the whole time because it couldn't be closed due to all the people - it was cold and windy, not pleasant at all.

As the group started to move into the restaurant, one of them went outside (I assume for a smoke) and, as he went out, the metal door swung all the way open and smacked into my seat, causing it to move my not inconsiderable bulk a few inches. If I had been leaning 1mm further to my right, the solid, sharp-edged door handle would have collided with my skull. This is downright dangerous and potentially life-threatening. You either fit a door stop, have a door that can't swing open in the wind (you're at the seaside, duh) or you do not sit people behind it. It is totally unacceptable. I may well write to the council.

The food arrived finally. My 10oz fillet was smaller than an 8oz I have in good steakhouses near me. I asked for medium well. It looked like a lump of coal. My son had the surf'n'turf. He said the rump was tasteless. He has a tendency to moan a lot, so I tried it. It was. It wasn't seasoned either.

I only had one pint of beer during the meal, because nobody asked me if I wanted another. I would have had more too. I wouldn't have written this poor review either, if anybody had bothered to ask me how the food was, as I'd have told them to their faces and given them the opportunity to make good, but they didn't.

After waiting for ten minutes after we'd finished eating, nobody had bothered to speak to us, so I couldn't ask for a bill. So I left £40 under the edge of a plate, which was probably more than enough to cover it.

In short, probably the worst restaurant experience I've had in the last 5 years. I'm sure they're better than that, but it wasn't our experience.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“sunday night early closeing ????”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Went TO jk's After some reveiws on here.. WEdindnt want to go on the Saturday as the town was full of stag and hens ,and the over the top merry type wasnt our idea of a night out .. each to there own.. however on sunday we came into the steakhouse in the afternoon and asked if we need to book for the sunday night ? it would be better was the answer, so we did just thatbooked for two of us for 7.30. on arrival a young chap smiled at my wife as we entered and asked booking for tina?? VERY FREINDLY, we was given option of tables as the place was half full. we expected to wait a while as the staff appeared busy but after only 5 mins we was asked about a drink and also food order taken.. we expected to wait a while as asked for well done steak, the meal took around 20 mins that was fine as meal was fresh cooked, as we was eating i noticed we had become the only people there , i asked what time they closed to which was replyed around 30 mins ago as its sunday, that said we wasnt rushed infact was asked if we would desserts or coffee, would go back again great food great staff... well done,..

Huddersfield
“food”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Had a lovely meal there good qualitiy etc and well presented, staff are always nice also the chef. However not sure about the young boy in the cafe he was taking meals to tables and was not old enough to do so, guess he belonged to one of the staff. Don't think that should be allowed as health and safety laws are in place for peoples safety etc.

1 Thank Brenda B
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
“Superb service and food”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We went for dinner with our son and had perfect steaks our son has dental problems at the moment and can only eat food where he doesnt have to chew much, the owner let him eat a meal off the daytime menu in the evening at no extra charge,thanks again would highly recommend.

• Visited July 2012