“Improvement needed”

The Carlton
Ranked #386 of 911 Blackpool B&B and Inns
“Improvement needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

A little disappointed with our stay. Reviews I read seemed to be based on previous owners!! Although the staff initially friendly when we first arrived and the breakfast nice I would just say that the room we had wasn't the best (by the looks of the advertised pictures of other rooms).
We had to leave a note to get our duvet changed (we'd spilt a drink on it) and spent an hour trying to get hold of them to lend an iron...
They did give us the family room at the price of a double but room 13 had the smallest shower cubicle I have ever seen (not ideal for a 6'3 man). The bathroom wasn't cleaned during our stay either. We also ran out of toilet rolls so had to go and pinch one from downstairs.
We could have of course asked for these things, but not the kind of service you'd expect when paying £170 to stay for a weekend.
We couldn't even raise these concerns on departure, as again owners no where to be seen and we had to just drop our key off in a box on departure. No 'thanks for staying, hope you had a nice stay, thanks for giving us £170 for your stay '.
Great location though for shops, Winter Gardens and the Tower.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Charlene H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tiverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have to say, this hotel was amazing! especially the guy who runs it... he was a legend!
When we first arrived he pointed us in the direction of a car park, right around the corner, and even lent us the change so we could park straight away instead of having to run to a cash point first while leaving car in the loading bay.
Okay, so the rooms are small, but very nicely decorated and very clean, and it is just a place to sleep after all!
All the staff were friendly, breakfast was lovely.. you could help yourself to a selection of cereals and juice, or choose a variety of freshly cooked breakfasts. the fry-up was not too greasy, and nothing was under or over-cooked. The lady serving was pleasant and always smiling, even on sat AM when she was clearly stressed as everyone turned up at the same to eat!! she carried on joking and laughing... i didnt even mind waiting, she was lovely.
On our final day we checked out, picked the car up, loaded it, then it wouldnt start again! the guy who runs the hotel saw us having trouble, and honestly, he stayed with us for 3 hours trying to help us fix the problem...he pushed the car back round the side of the hotel, got his car to try to jump start ours, read through the engine manual with my husband and finally let me back into the hotel so i could charge my phone and ring the rescue company, and let us wait there for them to arrive.
I would 100% stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kellie C
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked this hotel a few months ago, due to the great reviews on trip advisor, and seemed a bargain at £50 for a double room. The Carlton is ideally located for the winter gardens and any other attraction that may be going on , in the centre of Blackpool. We arrived 45 minutes early and was allowed to check in , as our room was ready. When shown to our room the hallways/stairways smelled musty en route and our room was on the small side, the room was clean, but the wallpaper was coming away from the wall. The ensuite was clean but requires updating in the decor, the shower wasn't very powerful at all, the curtain in the bedroom didn't cover the window fully and with the gaps you could easily be seen from the hotel across the way, walking naked from the bedroom to the bathroom and visa versa. We got a decents nights sleep until a generator started at 7am and was still running when we left the hotel ,and then an overflow pipe started constantly running water out, I don't know if these noises was created by this hotel or the hotel across the road. Breakfast wasn't the best and I left most of mine, I ordered scrambled eggs and beans on toast , the scrambled egg was very rubbery and didn't taste very good, the baked beans looked like they had been reheated quite a few times and was dry. My other half ordered a full English , and the sausages had been deep fried, they also looked like they had been fried more than once. The staff we met was very pleasant , overall I will not be rushing back to The Carlton.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank T14KKA
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for one night for a business trip attending the Blackpool Pride and Same Sex Dance Championships. The location of the Carlton is excellent for the Winter Gardens, town centre and prom. Nothing was too much trouble and Stuart kindly allowed me to have breakfast early as I had to attend a business meeting which was very helpful. Look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here last week with work and was very impressed. The location is excellent if your visiting either the main town,the tower or indeed the football ground. It is central to everything and is litteraly a 2-3 minute walk from the tower,beach and the central pier.
The hotel is clean and tidy and the rooms are of a good standard. The value for money is really good and the breakfast for me was excellent with a wide choice.
None of Blackpool's hotels are the Ritz but it was a big bonus to find that my boss had found a great value hotel which ticks all the boxes.
The owners are very helpful and extremely approachable and they care about their business. I will certainly see if there is room if I manage to bring my family up to Blackpool for a little break.

Room Tip: Because it is such a good location I would envisage that rooms at the front of the building could po...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights for a for a fitness convention at the Winter gardens, The Carlton is great location for the venue which is 5mins walk around the corner, easy to get to centre and restaurants.

The main plus point for the accommodation is the owner, who couldn't do enough to be helpful and provides a good friendly service. Breakfast was really good also, I actually got more food than I expected always a plus. I had asked for fried egg once it had arrived I asked for both sides to be done, totally my fault for not specifying and he apologised for not remembering - no way did I expect him to remember with all the different breakfast requests from day to day. We also had a leaky kettle which he replaced with a new one and apologised for the inconvenience.

The room #14 was small but adequate, shower cubicle was a little small but not spending the weekend in the bathroom the size of it isn't too much a problem. Clean bedding and towels, free wifi which was good but signal wasn't consistent but again not a massive problem as that can happen. Room #14 faced the main road evident from the early morning call of the party people returning on their walk of shame which would be fine if I was joining them, I'm not a light sleeper and the sounds woke me up a few times through the night. A combination of noise and lumpy, soft mattress resulted in a not very good sleep on Friday night. Also noticed the doors seemed noisy every time door were shut they seemed to be slammed shut, the women next door were very loud and didn't seem to care who knew it, this is not the fault of the landlord and just unfortunate that we had noisy neighbours luckily this was just the Friday night as they left Saturday.

I would stay again but I would request a back room or not facing the front main road, the landlord's helpfulness is the main reason we would go back and stay again.

Room Tip: #14 is at the front quite noisy at weekends, small shower cubicle
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Me and my parter love this this hotel and whenever we stay in Blackpool this is where we choose to stay, the rooms are immaculate, the breakfast is lovely and above all the owners are fantastic, very friendly and attentive.. They go out of their way to make sure everyone's needs are met... Would highly recommend this hotel!! :)

• Stayed September 2013