“what a great new year”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Wigan, United Kingdom
“what a great new year”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Just come back from spending 3 nights in this hotel. Can't fault anything the staff and management made you feel like you where part of the family and the food was excellent. Booked again for next year

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank lesley p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dundee
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Just got back from 5 days in this hotel, I had a single room which overlooked the sea, my room was very clean with a comfy bed, it was basic with no frills but quite tastefully decorated the down side was the lift didn't go there, I had to get off at floor one then walk along a corridor then walk up another 2 sets of stairs. Our coach arrived at 5pm, they were very disorganised we were told to give our name then sit in the bar to await our room keys, they then come around everyone asking their names again, then they went to find our keys this took another 30 mins, when we eventually got our keys all the other guests were queuing up to get into the dining room and we were all trying to get past, there is only one lift that holds 3 people, so this resulted in complete chaos. Also it was like a maze and no one could find their room, or there way back to reception, everyone was walking around in circles asking each other where to go. (I was on the 2nd floor but had to get of the lift to number one, then walk the other 2 flights to my room, it was confusing and just didn't appear to make sense the way the rooms were numbered)
There was nightly entertainment which I didn't go to but I did hear from others that it was very good.
We were breakfast and evening meal, this was a very slow process and not a lot of choice everynight there was a choice of 3 starters soup which was packet soup but did taste nice, orange juice and another, but they usually ran out of the 3rd choice before we got served, which only left juice or soup. every night your choice was either salad, fish and chips or a different meat dish, which I must add was very tasty, dessert consisted each night of ice cream, cheese & biscuits or another, but the service was extremely slow, it really did take an age to get your meal, but to be fair the hotel was full and really busy. Breakfast was the usual grapefruit, porrage, cerels and orange juice, which you help yourself to, you then got the choice of full english or a varation of this, again you had to wait forever to get served.
The location of the hotel is good, its about a 5 min walk to north pier or town centre, but still far enough away from the noisy hustle and bustle, so great if you want a quite nights sleep, but don't want to be far from entertainment.
All the staff were friendly enough, and the maids done a fantastic job as the room was very clean and tidy. Also when you are departing if you leave your cases outside your room before 7am, the staff take your cases down for you, which is a great help.
Would I recommend it to friends? well that would depend on what they were looking for, if they wanted a basic hotel, didn't mind waiting for there meals and weren't to fussed about a small choice of meals, were fit and able to climb stairs and prefered a quiter location but still near to all the entertainment then yes I would recommend it, but if they were looking for a bit more frills then no this hotel wouldn't be ideal.
It really is a bit of a hit and miss with Blackpool hotels and although I have stayed in a lot worse, I have also stayed in better, see my other reviews for more info.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank EllieDundee
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I first came here on a 21st birthday party 6 years ago, and have been at least once a year since, im always reccomending the hotel to friends.
The staff cant do enough for you, breakfast always tastes amazing and its fresh and fast out, they'll cater around what your after for breakfast aswell. Lovely owners and staff.
The guy that owns it with his wife is a gem too, very friendly and helpful with directions and any info you might need. He waited for us to come down for breakfast and was straight to it when he had our order.
The rooms are mostly clean, my only small complaint would be that the towels smelled a bit strange, however i brought my own anyway, so no loss there.
Never tried the evening meal but it always smells amazing.
I love this hotel for the location too, its at the end of the promenade, but still close walking distance to shops and bars, and not far from pleasure beach, its quiet where it is and a stone throw from the beach. The bars cheap, and the hotel attracts alot of older people, so even though i am young myself, i dont appreciate the rowdy younger crowds. Rooms are nice, its hardly the hilton, but who wants to stay at the hilton when they go to Blackpool?

All in all, it comes highly recommended for a weekend break :)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dogsforbarbers
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Stayed at the Hotel as part of a large group and booked it in October, but was a little worried after reading another review. As it happened, I had no too, the hotel was great. We found it to be very friendly and we were made to feel so welcome. Rooms were very good, food was even better. Good choice for the evening meal, as we were Dinner and Breakfast. The food was very fresh and I don't think we had anything that had been cooked from frozen all week. The Hotel provides entertainment in the evening's, so it was great not to leave the hotel in the cold weather. Ask for a Sea View if you can, the Hotel is in a great position in the Promenade. Thanks to the staff at the hotel and the tour bus driver.

• Stayed December 2010