“Bland food, nothing to write home about”

Boonnak Thai Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 756 Restaurants in Blackpool
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Boonnak Thai Restaurant authentic Thai cuisine we offer selection variety of Thai food you can enjoy your favorite Thai menu with our special offer lunch menu just £8.95 include drink Early Bird Menu £10.95 include a drink or try a special authentic Thai street food Boonnak Thai taste like Thai local.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Bland food, nothing to write home about. Starters were more chinese than thai, chicken not grilled enough and partly raw. We ordered pad thai for mains and it was bland, with prawns not properly cooked. When telling the waitress whether she could do something about it, she brought us some sauces that improved the flavour a little but, just enough to make it edible.

1  Thank Paco L

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Well well well....This little place keeps on giving me a reason to return. I loves their food I do! The manageress will often wait on out table and will always make time for her regular customers or say thank you for choosing to eat here again. We always use a Taste Card or a voucher if ever she releases them.. A TC will HALF your bill so 2 starters, 2mains and a side salad (which are amazeballs) -not inc drinks- will come to £20!! If we don't have a side salad or expensive main, which is £9 tops, It's more like £18. For a tasty thai meal I know that's value.

They now have a secret thai menu too! It's a n A4 laminated menu from the back shelf near the kitchen. Just ask for it. Intestine, chicken neck etc. I haven't tried anything off it yet AS i just can't pull myself away from the main menu lol. I will! One day. I've seen the dishes coming out and the smell is to die for. A lot of thai/asian nationals who eat here will order off it. Must be good if they eat from it. I'm sure as all thai places will cook anything you ask for if you ask for it. We've asked for a squid dish but with a certain sauce and they were happy to attempt it. Just ask =)

my absolute favorite thing to have on the menu though.. is by far and away the tom yum soup..Oh wow oh wow. A clear super spicy broth with superb tasty chicken or prawns. I'm sure they just give me a spoon out of politeness as they must know i just need a straw or even just my hands to wolf it down. I implore you to order it its just a delight to sip on.

The salads are out of this world. Not huge admittedly for £7-8.. but i think the delicateness of it will be more small bites here and there not fork fulls in your face. The spice in them is often enough and counteracts the lack of fullness- no more! lol.

Curries.. Now. I've seen one or two odd comments about them. For a brit to throw accusations on "it's not authentic" or "lacks any thai flavor" are just talking out of their you know what's! The chef was born and bread there in thailand and i know the recipes are from his home town. Now...if that's not thai flavor or authentic- what is? Again..I've had every curry on that menu and they all very very lovely. Take it from me I live there. They are so so nice! So I know consistency!

The decor. SILLY to not eat somewhere because of its look. Are you gonna eat the flooring? The shades? The seating? You see my point. You came for the food not the 80's tiled ceiling or thai temple bar lol. I don't mind it, at least it's not a fake gaudy thai place trying too hard like the place over the road (wah wah's) The tables are clean and the place is clean. Good enough for me.

The atmosphere: as this place isnt open on Mondays...Tuesdays are BUSY! It's like we all can't wait to get out fix lol. They cope well with a crowd and know what's coming. It's lively when it's a tuesday. The weekends are the same but more later into the evening. Book ahead! Day times are quiet. But most people are at work so I see why. Even with tourists about it's still quiet as its far back into town. But that's fine with me they have thai music playing so it kills the silence and myself and my friends get the place and service entirely to ourselves. Who want's strangers as company when you have a partner or friends anyway lol

I will always read other reviews first before making another revisit review. As I like to debunk myths or distruths or over exaggerations.

I've a keen eye. I see that most of the average or poor reviews are from 2012. When they opened. And when they did have mixed reviews and the restaurant was very quiet. I feared it would close I really did. I don't understand how you can make a statement of "We'll never return" If you don't go twice and see a restaurant get better and improve its service. Snap judgments are a poor way to make a review and will never give a reader it's due information. Proper information. It closes a growing places down..

So my conclusion is this: In the beginning they had a hard time keeping consistency and gaining a fan base. They learned from comments given and changed up the menu and swapped chefs... Now they're better than ever and have a firm menu that is very popular and a permanent chef to keep consistency. I've been coming here from day one people so know its history and story. It's that good now that it's earned a certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor
and has gone from top 200 eats to top 20 eats in Blackpool in a year. Great achievement. I'm determined to get it to number one! EAT HERE. I promise you'll love it.

4  Thank vickystyle
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

In Blackpool for a short break, this restaurant showed up on the Gourmet Society page. The starters were quite disappointing as they appeared to be cooked from frozen rather than freshly made. The mains however were really really nice and it is worth a visit for these alone. Prices are reasonable and the staff were very friendly.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We were in holiday and looking for somewhere different. We found this gem and almost overlooked it for the price but it took our taste card for 2 for 1 discount. The starters arrived piping hot...the tempura prawn crispy and light...the crab fish cakes and chicken stay lightly spiced. We followed this with duck and coconut rice and pad Thai. All were excellent. My husband and son even managed a pudding! Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Took another long drive to eat here. What a fantastic meal we were served. Red duck curry, pork pad kra prao, chicken phanaeng cirry. All full of delicious multi-layered flavours beautifully balanced. The coconut rice was properly rich and tasty. Fried noodles were cooked over a strong flame and had the appropriately delicious fragrance needed.

Such friendly service as well. Can't wait for another excuse to drive to Blackpool to dine here... as a displaced SE Asian living in the UK, this reataurant is now my requisite fix for authentic and yummy Thai food.