“Nice Outdoor pool, but shabby room”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
lincolnshire
“Nice Outdoor pool, but shabby room”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We booked this hotel on the special 4 day sale for 3 nights bed and breakfast in a standard family room. It seemed a good deal at the time for a short summer holiday break away.
We arrived early on the sunday morning about 11.30 and found the hotel very easy to locate using the sat nav. Upon arrival we were quite impressed on how the hotel looked from the outside driving down a long winding driveway to the entrance. We managed to find a parking space very close to the entrance in what was a very large car park.
As we had not bothered requesting an early arrival I wasn't expecting to be allocated our room early but thought I would give it a go as what previous comments on here had said. The receptionist had a look and was apologetic and said unfortunately we could not go into the room quite yet. So I said not to worry as we would go and have a look round Blackpool Zoo (which is next door to the hotel) then come back and check in after 3pm.
After checking in at 4pm we took the lift up to level 1 and made our way to room 364. Upon entering the room our first impressions were how small the room was and then to notice the excessive amount of dust on the tv, kettle, bedside lampshades, blinds and basically pretty much everything else we was quite dissapointed. It looked as though the room hadn't been used for quite some time and the window hadn't been cleaned for some time also. We had our own travel cot with us so we put that up and made the single seater chair into a bed, then we could not move past each other around the room very easily at all! We were tooked away in the corner overlooking the outdoor pool and didn't have a very good view of anything else.
The bathroom was again very small and not the cleanest we was expecting with some tissue left on the floor around the toilet. The soap dispenser didn't work near the sink so we had to use the one in the shower instead. The bath must have been one of the smallest I have seen for a long time. Also it was meant to be a family room so I would of expected 3 large towels at least, but there was only 2 large towels and 2 hand towels.
I had read on here that it was maybe possible to get an uprgraded room so I went down to the reception to enquire about this. I told them it was very small and asked if it was possible for an upgrade. They said unfortunately they were fully booked and no room upgrade was available but if we wanted it the next day it was available. I was then starting to feel a bit happier but then to be told it would be an extra £50 per night to upgrade so I declined this.
The best part of our stay was the outdoor heated swimming pool which was lovely as were the indoor pool and the sauna/jacuzzi.
We were booked in the Italian restaurant for 6pm and looked like we were one of the fisrt families in there. My partner really liked the look of the lasagne only to be told sorry that there was no lasagne available which we were pretty dissapointed with but chose something else. We decide to have a bottle of wine to go with our meal but this was rather pricey I thought but you come to expect that at most hotels. We all enjoyed our meals although a bit on the expensive side and the service was pleasant.
As having a toddler with us we were up fairly early in the morning so we arrived for our breakfast before 8am. There were plenty of tables available and lots of choice of food to choose from. The waitresses were very pleasant and asked if we would like tea or coffee and also brought us a high chair over. As we left breakfast about 8.45 we noticed the massive queue of people waiting to be shown to a table.
After breakfast we decided to venture down to blackpool seafront and thought it wont be too far to walk. We was wrong it was a few miles! It took us about 45mins to walk down so we decide to get a taxi on the way back which was good value at just over £7.
We decided to eat in the bar on the monday evening. My partner fancied the beef and ale pie only to be told sorry we don't have that left so we were very dissapointed as this was the 2nd time in as many nights they did not have what was meant to be on the menu. We ordered the chicken wings as a side and they were very nice although very hot as they brought out the wrong ones to what I ordered.
For our last day we was that dissapointed with the hotels restaurant and bar we decided to venture out for Lunch and it was so much better in taste and value!
On checking out on our last day we were well ready on getting out of our little dusty family room so we vacated the room promptly after our breakfast. The receptionist asked if everything was ok so I told her about our problems with the room and she apologized to us then that was it.
It left us with a very negative opinion of the Village hotel chain as we have previously been quite impressed with them. In my opinion they need to pay as much attention to the rooms/restaurants as they do to the fitness part of the hotel as that all looked brilliant.

Room Tip: If travelling with 2 adults a child and a toddler a standard family room is a very tight squeeze.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
London
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The DeVere Herons Reach has recently undergone a £6million upgrade, therefore making it an excellent time to stay in upgraded surroundings. However, it appears they have been completely hood winkled. I believe one of the many reputable builders in the area may have promised to create a hotel beyond their wildest dreams for £6 million, took payment, and promptly remembered his gear was in Spain, departing never to be seen again.

The decoration which has certainly taken inspiration from a much more up market establishment, potentially Travelodge or Premier Inn. However, these hotel operators have the foresight not to put a massive sofa in front of the doors as people tend to be coming into a hotel with luggage and want to check-in. It is less than ideal to have to take a detour via the totally random Starbucks that is crammed in the corner in order to handover, ~£100 to the grunting member of ‘staff’ behind the deck.

The heat in the hotel is reminiscent of staying the night in a tent in the sahara – stiflingly hot. The hotel have made a valiant effort to resolve this problem by allowing the window to open 0.5cm.

After a joyful night’s sleep I was confident the breakfast would live up to expectations. I dutifully collected my selection of hot treats from the ‘offal hatch’ – a considerable amount was left on my plate.

All-in-all, probably one of the best hotels in Blackpool.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We recently stay here on a family trip to blackpool. I stay here every year with a golf party and I'm afraid i have the same complaint about all my recent stays. GET A DECENT CATERING TEAM........ The Breakfast is rubbish.... The sausages are certainly frozen processed garbage and if they aren't then sack your butcher. The Mushrooms are similar to what my granny would give... Boiled to death.... The evening meal was poor... I'm a qualified French trained chef with my own restaurant and never like to complain but the food here gives chefs a bad name. TheVillage group need to appoint a decent Director of catering to sort this out. Heston or Jamie Olivier... Push comes to shove.. You could even hire me... But please please sort this out... The staff in the place are good... and do they best.. If not a little under trained on customer service... but if you push the right buttons you'll finally get the answer you're looking for. The customer liason managers a star... she's very helpful and friendly... but a hotel of this size needs to have all areas singing from the same sheet... .. Such a shame as the rest of the place is great.. Great gold course... Good beer... Nice well equiped gym ... Great new outdoor pool...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Village hotels spend some more money on your food... Its KACK

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is a great hotel with great facilities. The hotel is modern with nice decor and ambience. Rooms very good, especially overlooking the golf course, which is part of the hotel. Large car park, but required as hotel seems very popular. It is quite a way to the seafront, but in our opinion was a good thing as can be noisy and boisterous at the promenade. We did walk, but it is almost 3 miles each way, so be aware. It is a nice walk, especially as Stanley Park is on the way. Very nice and well kept park with lots of facilities, apparently it covers over 250 acres.Also the zoo is situated near which is worth a visit. There is only one restaurant, Italian, which in our experience was very good, or there is food in the bar. All in all a great stay for our group, would definitely come again (in fact one couple in our group has already re booked).

Room Tip: A room overlooking the golf course. High rooms appear quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rog02
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Have to echo the earlier review by Taj_99. Other than a single bad experience, I just can't understand why anyone would feel bad about this hotel. Really family friendly place and people, great service in Italian restaurant, at beakfast and in the pub. Terrific choice of beers as well! Place was busy but not at all noisy in bars or in the room. Leisure facilities were great, loved the pools especially the one outdoors.

If I did have one small criticism, bathroom was small but don't feel strongly enough about it to knock marks off. Overall, no complaints and would defo stay again if visiting Blackpool - would certainly recommend for families.

1 Thank Mark P
Merseyside
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I liked the look of this place for ages but never got around to going then I stayed in July mid week on business when it was quiet and the stay was fine but I did not use any of the facilities as I went into town and therefore only really slept there (which I might add was fine). The body of this review relates to my stay 2 weeks after on a Fri/Sat night when I requested a quiet room too. I was told we had a PLUS room which had a view so I thought it would match that of my earlier stay overlooking the golf course. But no, they put us at the front of the hotel just above the foyer so I thought it might have been a problem from outside noise (eg, smokers at the foyer, taxis) but to be fair it was ok. Room was comfortable, no complaints there. General noise from adjoining room was a problem through the connecting door and corridor noise was a worse problem at 4am one morning (major boozed up row). Friday night was rammed in the bar area due to a food promotion that was on so getting served was slow. Restaurant and bar food was nice but a bit overpriced. Some drinks were reasonable whilst some very expensive. If you want a romantic getaway don't stay here! If you want a good old booze up with the boys or girls, a drunken wedding party then this might be the place as that's how it seemed to us. Rooms, public areas and leisure all good but take plenty of money and your earplugs!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Great golf course, spoilt by the fact that they were so greedy for revenue that they seemed to send people off at 5 minute intervals. We were over half an hour late off the first tee.
Leisure looked very good with 2 nice pools. Bedroom nice but no soap or shampoo in bathroom.
Restaurant a total disaster. Drinks took ages to arrive. The food was quick but a total disgrace. The mixed grill consisted of very processed sausages, tiny bit of steak and heated up ham. Perhaps it was pretending to be gammon, or maybe the chef though that, as ham and gammon come from the same animal, we would not notice. The Chicken and Mushroom pie that someone had was pastry with a type of paste. Chicken & Mushrooms seemed to have gone walkabout.
At least the beer was good.
as a Devere Hotel they should realise that, if you keep golfers happy they return. I for one will not.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels