“Always a good standard”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked this hotel via late deals site so the bargain price is not reflective of the usual rack rate. In fact it was half the price!
However I do like booking Village hotels as they always have a good standard even if when you wake up you could be in any other their hotels. In this case Heron reach maintained the high standard.
The room was very clean and facilities excellent. A large TV and internet access for free is always a bonus. The bathroom was bright and very modern although I found it impossible to work out which tap was which. Perhaps I should have sought advice!
The reception was very busy and as this hotel is linked to a golf course it was very busy all the time with groups of golfers either bustling in the 19th hole or in the restaurant.
The place had a recently cleaned feel although the corridors go on forever and need brighter lighting.
One concern was the lift was broken down and what asking about had been for several days. In this enlightened era prompt repairs are a must for less able clients.
The breakfast was hearty although the usual 9am rush happened and a stressed chef leaked frustration when complaints were made the sausage was not cooked. ‘It is cooked it’s the colour of the meat’ was his reply!
Ate in the restaurant on the evening and can say the meal was very nice full portions and presented well by very pleasant staff. The bar staff were also charming and when that level of customer attention is given then it smooth’s any other issues.
Big plus: - Clean and pleasant waiting staff
Big negative: - dark corridors and faulty lift

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Trevor B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,237)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We enjoyed Heron's Reach when it was de Vere Hotel bvut it is now De Vere Village Hotel and I think it is even better. The rooms have been revamped to a very good standard and thre restaurant is very good as well. Looking forward to going back as we love the Lytham area hence Lythamlovers!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at Herons Reach in a twin room for one night in early September with a friend as we were attending a stag night in Blackpool. Although the check in is officially 3pm we arrived a little earlier as our journey had not taken as long as anticipated.

I had booked a twin room but the male receptionist informed us that a double room had been allocated, he stated that this was the fault of the booking company but the documentation from the booking company clearly stated "Twin Room", this meant that our room was not ready and he suggested we return later. I accept that as were arrived early the room may not be available, however, when we asked what time the room might be available the receptionist refused to give us a specific time simply repeating that we should return later. Even when asked whether we needed to return in one hour, two hours etc he was unwilling to commit to a time. Eventually I asked him the hotel official check in time and informing him that I would return at this time (3pm). When we did return, at 3.30ish, the room was available. May have helped if reception had been better staffed, always seemed to be a queue but usually only one staff member on duty, hence, lots of time spent waiting.

The room itself was fine and overlooked the 18th green, however, the bathroom was tiny with only approximately 3foot x 3foot of floor surface. Beds were very comfortable and the leisure facilities good. The room service lady was super and was happy to provide me with additional towels.

Final disappointment was breakfast which should be taken in the main restaurant, as the hotel was busy we were directed to the bar area and told we would be seated and the breakfast would be exactly the same as in the main restaurant. Firstly, no one was to be seen in the bar so we seated ourselves, as did the other people that had been sent there. The choice of breakfast items was poor, only one juice, orange, no fruit, limited cereals, no mushrooms and no eggs other than scrambled (not a fan of powdered scrambled eggs).

Got a really good deal on the stay so other difficulties are bearable. Would probably stay again if the rate was right but would hope service/food would be better.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We have talked about staying in this prestigious hotel for some time and finally we booked it for a mid week 3 night break - the hotel has fantastic facilities, two pools (the outdoor one was warmer than the indoor one oddly!!) saunas, jacuzzi, 18 hole golf course, choice of eating places and overall a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. The staff were attentive, courteous and the room was spacious and accessible by both lift & stairs.....we had an immensely enjoyable stay an would recommend it if you are in the Fylde district or want to visit Blackpool without being in the centre or on the seafront (£6 by taxi - door to the Tower) - so you get the best of both worlds, handy if you want to visit the pleasure beach area/clubs but tranquil if you don't.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JPMoore
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have been a Village Member for 10 years now, and I do enjoy staying at different Villages up and down the country, so I do know where improvements can and should be made. I go to the Villages on average about 8 times per year, and I always go for the swimming, however I am a member of the Village at Hyde, and the differences between The Herons Reach and Hyde is mainly the cleanliness in the pool area and changing area,Herons Reach need to update its cleaning programme, because the shower/changing area is full of hair, also the lookers that you have to put your clothes in are very dirty, moving onto the showers, the water stays in the shower cubicle stays there so this must be causing many germs/bacteria.
Moving onto the pool area, there are alot of tiles missing from the jacuzzi area and this could hurt a child if they caught themselves on it.
At the village at Hyde we all swim clockwise, at Herons Reach they swim any old way so people are swimming into one another, this is really poor, the pool attendant just sits there, and at the Village at Hyde they use this time to clean aswell as monitor the pool area. No pool checks were carried out during the times i used the pool, and during my 4 night stay at Herons Reach I used the pool on 5 occasions, at the Village at Hyde pool checks are done every hour, when I said pool checks I mean taking samples of the pool, and doing checks. On a more positive note, the rooms were clean altho very dark, but all the Villages are pretty much the same.
Thankyou for reading my review and I hope that it helps
Any questopns please message me on imelda3@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2011

well its a really nice hotel. modern clean easy to find (next to the zoo) and very quiet, we like walking and its a good 35 mins to the sea front and next day we did the same again to the tower anlong the front to the pleasure beach (now a fiver to just go in so we didnt bother ) and its nearly an hour to walk back from, didnt bother us as we had had a huge lunch and walked it off, the only thing i would say is a pet peev of mine and that for a purpose built hotel there was no air con..and not even a fan, so it was a bit warm. but other than that was a really good hotel and the breakfast was excellent, we paid £69 inc breakfast for one night, would stay again. great hotel if you dont mind walking..or taxi/ bus

Room Tip: no air con,,at least in ours