“Blackpool's best”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 15 October 2011

As a regular visitor to Blackpool, and having stayed at other comparable hotels, I can honestly say that The Village Heron's Reach ranks as the best of the lot. It has recently undergone a massive refurbishment and this has only served to enhance what was previously a decent (if a tad tired) establishment. The room was spottlessly clean and stylish with tea/coffee tray, hairdryer, ironing board etc. The staff provided an excellent service by being both professional and friendly - indeed nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast is served buffet style and there's a great selection of both traditional and continental breakfast items. Despite the restaurant being very busy at breakfast time the whole operation ran like clockwork and on surveying the other guests everyone seemed happy. Something also worth mentioning is that the cooked breakfast was piping hot. With the exception of breakfast though, I didn't eat in the hotel but there's definitely plenty of choice there including reasonably priced bar meals.
The hotel facilities are excellent with a well equipped gym, both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and squash courts. You can even fish within the hotel grounds.
The location is good - right beside Blackpool Zoo - near enough to the biz to be convenient but far enough away to enjoy peace and quiet if you want it.
Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for your Blackpool trip and I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizbreaks
There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Blackpool

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I made the booking through the website, and due to me wanting certain things I spoke to Kristina who could not have helped me more! She was extremly polite, and very professional throughout my booking procedure.
She recommended lots of different places to visit as we had a little one, and our daughter might only be 7 months old but she loved the sea life centre.

I actually got to met with Kristina when we cheked out, so I got to thank her in person. But I would recommend this hotel to everyone. There is lots to do - they have a gorgeous in door & out door swimming pool, Golf Course, fantastic pub & restaurant, squash courts and tennis courts so there is something for everyone. Even a starbucks cafe!!!!!!

Kristina I can't thank you enough for what you did for us at the beginning of our stay, you made it even better as everything I had asked for was sorted with no questions asked.

Fantastic customer service. Thank you! :-)

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Room very dark (not helped by the dark decor), on the small side and with minimal storage. No hotel or local information in the room apart from the restaurant menu so you had to find out when children were allowed into the pool etc. The bathroom was very small and was not particularly clean, the body wash dispenser was empty and for two out of the three days we were not supplied with enough towels. Tables far too close at breakfast - guests could not even get into their seats. Food in Victory bar was good and well priced if you selected the daily special. Leisure facilities were good apart from the family changing which has no shower.

1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband, our two year old son and I stayed at this hotel for two nights bed and breakfast on the 8th and 9th of October. We got a fantastic deal on a family room and paid £75.00 a night.

I had been a little worried about our booking when I read the most recent reviews on trip advisor however, we all thought the hotel was fantastic with great facilities for the whole family.

The staff are very helpful indeed and tended to our requirements; they were also happy and freindly. The sevice was quick from staff behind reception, in the health club, breakfast room, cleaners and in the staff in starbucks. We had no problems what so ever!!!

The hotel was clean and our room was very good yes, I agree the decoration was dark and not to our taste but, we did not go to Blackpool to sit in our room for the duration.

The swimming pool was great both in door and out door and we used it on two occasions. Changing facilities were clean and fresh towels were at hand for all.

The breakfast was good and lots of it. Cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt, full English, pastries, fruit juice, tea and coffee etc.... no problems getting seated but, the reception staff did advice us to avoid the 9.00 slot as it was very busy so we did just that and it was great.

We will be returning to this hotel. What my husband and I liked about it was it was away from the main strip. We went in to Blackpool each day somtimes by taxi (about £9.00) or somtimes we drove.

We all could have stayed longer at the hotel. We were sad to leave.If you were lucky enough to get your self a deal like we did you will not be dissapointed, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We were a party of 18 booked in for a family celebration. The meal was to be taken in the Buca di Bepo restaurant and boasted an all you can eat Sunday carvery. First course was a watery tomato soup, second course "platters" of calamari and mozarella. Only one "platter" arrived - in fact it was a regular sized dinner plate - feeding half the group. We asked for more (it being an all you can eat) and was told "chef if you're still hungry after main course he'll do some more"!! I complained and was told "we're sorry if your dining experience at Buca di Beppo is not what you would want"! Those who had not had "the platter" went to the carvery, prounced the food as poor - beef or ham, veggie option was the veg to go with the roast, without the roast! Yorkshire puddings were frozen in the middle, we complained and were told "we're sorry if your dining experience at Buca di Beppo is not what you would want". The beef was so tough it was inedible, the mashed potato was a grey orange colour and ran through the slotted spoon when trying to serve it; we complained and were told "we're sorry if your dining experience at Buca di Beppo is not what you would want". By this point tempers were fraying and we asked to see the manager but there wasn't one. At this point all 18 of us walked out refusing to pay the bill. The food but above all the service was dreadful. The bar staff in The Victory were rude and incompetent. The decor is dingy, dark and awful. Left the hotel vowing never to return.

2  Thank Comraich
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed her for only a few days but will definatley will go back. Staff were always helpful when we asked for anything. Like any hotel there were a few small 'issues' but staff were very quick to resolve the situation to our total satisfaction. Room was very good, had everything we needed. Food in both the restaurant and the bar was very good. A bit more expensive than some places but we definately felt we got value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I stayed at Herons Reach for a long weekend with my daughter. This was supposed to be a treat for my birthday so she booked us at a De Vere hotel, assuming it would be of a high standard. We had spoken to people who have stayed there previously and were impressed by their comments.( However, they have told us since, they stayed before the refurbishment and redecoration of the hotel.)
Oh! dear! what a disappointment awaited us.
The first room we were given was very dark and the only window in the room opened for a couple of inches. This was during a hot weather spell and we were very uncomfortable. There were no fans to cool us down. The decor was dark, black wallpaper! We needed the lights on in the day. The room had no drawers for clothes just a few hangers. The only drawers were at each end of the desk/dressing table/tea and coffee tray holder/television base. They were too small for clothes and one contained the hair dryer. There was no information in the room, apart from a menu for the Italian restaurant. No pen, writing paper, tissues, information about the hotel etc., which is usual in most hotels. Anybody who was a stranger to Blackpool wasn't given any idea of the area. A little map would have helped. No toiletries in the bathroom apart from a wall mounted soap dispenser. Talking about the restaurant, very bizarre decor. The photographs and pictures on the walls, and there were many of them, were most peculiar. The only normal ones were of Italian film stars. The prices were high and the standard of cooking left a lot to be desired. The night we dined there, people were complaining of cold plates, cold food, improperly cooked food and slow service. Breakfast time was a joke! Long lines of hungry people, spilling into the reception area. No sign of anyone in charge. They ran out of something every morning and had to be asked more than once if they would bring us some tea. You have to have that brought to the table. The rest of your meal you get for yourself. (if they have not run out of what you want.) The sausages were never fully cooked, still pink inside, this happened every day. Miserable staff with the odd exception. Danny who works in Starbucks was a little star. Cheerful and so helpful. If only the rest of the staff had been like him. There were also a couple of the girls at reception who managed a smile. Mind you they gave my Daily Mail away to someone else, after assuring us they would keep it for us! Unfortunately the lift was out of order when we checked in so the cases had to be man handled up the stairs. No offer of help.l I walk with a stick and my daughter has fibro myalgia so you can imagine how we felt. On departure day the lift was being repaired, so again our cases had to be carried and dragged downstairs. This was made worse because we had been moved to another room after our first night (thereby lies another tale of woe!) and we had even more stairs to negotiate! All in all, a most disappointing choice of hotel. The situation is fine and I am sure the people who use the gym and swimming pools are more than happy, especially if they can go home to sleep! More staff training is needed, starting from the top. Not a good advert for the De Vere chain and we most certainly wont be staying there ever again. I can endorse everything the other reviewers who stayed in early October, have said about it. We really felt for the poor golfers who had had their cars broken into. Doesn't say much for security at the hotel. I could go on, but I think you have got the gist and my ironing needs doing!

Room Tip: avoid the ones overlooking the golf course. 18th hole. tell them what you want and if you don't...
2  Thank sparkysmate