“Wasn't as happy as previous stays and Disappointed with Upper Deck”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #30 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Wasn't as happy as previous stays and Disappointed with Upper Deck”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We have stayed here several times in the past during our Illuminations trip to Blackpool. I have to be honest and say I was disappointed on this occasion.

The main reasons being:-

1) After much wondering and debate we plumped for the Upper Deck upgrade - I was especially excited about the Starbucks drinks package, Sealy mattress topper and Sky movies. Now whilst you do enjoy the Sky movie channel (no others mind!) the Starbucks drinks package is sachets of instant starbucks and a biscotti each and the mattress topper was certainly not in our room! I may have been expecting too much but from memory it was £40 extra per night (we stayed 2 nights) which is a lot extra when you can pick up biscotti in the reception for £1.50!

2) The electric swipe card on our room broke (apparently ran out of charge). Of course these things happen we understand that. However, we were sat in the corridor for a long time whilst Reception tried to contact maintenance who eventually got us into our room and advised that one of us stay in the room now until check out the next morning as was still broken - great! Eventually got given keys to the room next door (so at least we had an extra biscotti!) but wasted our evening and plans. With this in mind we had to order room service - a pizza each. Well my partner ate his but I had one bite. The whole of the topping slid off and was a greasy mess. It looked like a cheap pre-bought base with canned tomotoes flung on it and a couple of anchovies. Was inedible.

3) Upon check out I tried to point out my dissatisfaction but no-one gave a monkeys. I had pre-paid on the DeVere website so it seemed nothing could be done. I just had to pay for the overpriced and inedible pizzas and be on our way. When I checked the receipt I had also been stung for credit card charges even though I paid on debit card - I eventually got this £2.50 back.

So all in all whilst it is a nice place I feel that for us the Upper Deck is not a worthwhile upgrade or it is far overpriced. Mostly however I am disappointed how as returning and loyal DV customers we were just fobbed off.

The leisure facilities are great - we did several classes, used the Spa and gym/pool - all of this was a brilliant experience. Also the parking is still free and plentiful which I think is great for Blackpool.

Room Tip: Personally I would not bother paying extra for Upper Deck - you are in the same rooms you just have...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cornishgirl111
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hi "Cornishgirl111",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

I would firstly like to apologise for the issues you did encounter during your stay, especially the maintenance problems with your door lock and the room service you received.

Please be assured that all your comments and feedback will be relayed to the Management team on site.

Plesae do not hesitate to contact me direct if you do wish to discuss your issues further at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
JARROW
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here with Grandson in October hols this year. Hotel was fully booked on arrival,queue at reception but dealt with very quickly.Booked a family room it was fabulous, lovely and clean and spacious.Used pool on its night very busy but well organised.Had meal first night in Italian restaurant in hotel,staff were pleasant,helpful and food was lovely.Breakfast again busy but very well organised,plenty of choice, all good food.2nd night had bar meal,this agin was lovely and staff very helpful.Slept really well both nights in lovely cumfy beds,rooms were quiet even though hotel was full.All in all excellent stay, will go back next year.

Room Tip: well worth a visit.Family rooms good size and very comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi "Vivien M",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

Love the review title and we are really pleased that you and your grandson had a fabulous time with us.

As stated in your review you will be returning again next year, so we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I live in Blackpool, and we use this complex for many things. Myself and my fiancee are members of their gym. The gym its self is well set out, very clean, all kinds of machines and areas. Their is free squash and tennis, 2 pools (indoor and outdoor), sauna, steam room, jacuzzi - all of which we have taken advantage of. Plus there is a discount for NHS Staff which is excellent.

Stayed in the hotel also - very clean, lovely rooms, helpful staff, lovely setting.

Only downside is the food - Eaten here 5 times now. The Christmas party was great fun, good music, awful food. Just the quality that needed improving. Eaten in Bucca once, which was enjoyable and quite nice. The three times I have eaten at "The Victory" it was terrible. First time they had no chips, cheese, burgers, or chicken. The second time the chicken burger didnt come out for 45 minutes, after Id eaten my food, and when it did it was very undercooked. So we got a free replacement, which was burnt. The third time was better, but the food was a bit cold.

So generally this place is fantastic. Just don't eat at the bar I guess.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors better for sound quality...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Hi "Phil P",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

Its always great to hear some feedback from locals and also our leisure members. I am disappointed that you have experienced issues in the past with the food quality and I will ensure your feedback is passed to our Executive Chef.

I am pleased though that both you and your partner visit us regular as leisure members and enjoy using all the facilities.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if you do wish to discuss any of your comments further at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here for work and very much enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and smart, the staff were very helpful, the food was lovely and I couldn't have asked for much more. It's not right in Blackpool itself, but I certainly didn't mind that. While I was there, various parties and functions took place, but I never heard any noise - the function room and bar were far enough from the bedrooms to not interfere with sleep. My colleagues were also impressed.

• Stayed November 2013
Hi "Lena C",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

I am pleased both you and your colleagues enjoyed your recent stay with us ... what a great review.

I hope you do have the opportunity to return to the hotel in the near future ... possibly as a leisure break the next time?

Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Paid £79 for 2 off a wowcher deal.
Arrived at the hotel 17 Nov at 3pm easy check in lovely receptionist.
Had a coffee and snack at the Starbucks located at reception - lovely staff in there.
Had an upper deck room on the 1st floor which was perfect! Spotless clean huge bed sky tv on large flat screen decorated lovely bathroom great and loads of extras in room.
Made use of all the facilities gym sauna steam room pool and jacuzzi all fab!
Booked a table for dinner at half 7 which was a 5 course all you can eat carvery that was excellent.
Breakfast in the morning was good with plenty of choice and also all you can eat.
Left the hotel at 11am feeling refreshed and really pleased with the stay.
Will definitely be back and would recommend to couples families and people with dogs.

• Stayed November 2013
Hi "Lauren3487",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you left feeling refreshed.

We do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future and keep a look out for any future deals we may have. Please also do not hesitate to contact me direct if you want to know of any offers for the future at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Having stayed at your hotel previously i have to say it has gone down hill! On Check in rooms were not ready so went to bar lounge to be greeted by a mouse! Back to check in - so looking forwards to a rest but unfortunately when i got to the allocated room someone else was in it! So back to reception allocated a new room (away from the other party members room which i had asked to be beside)and told i would have to move rooms after 1 nigh of my 3 night stay. Refused room so both changed to allow us to be together. Thought that was the end but no - Faulty lights, dark rooms and one bathroom was tatty and the shower didn't even stay on the wall, The head fell of during a hand held shower. When reported on check out man said sorry but clearly didn't care! Breakfast - poor selection - silly toaster - No Apple juice!!
Very disappointing as have stayed here several times before and this has put us off!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hi "coops215",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. Please be assured that your feedback/comments will be relayed to the team on site.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if you do want to discuss your issues further as the last thing we would want is for you to feel your feedback has not been taken seriously.

Please contact me at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Blackpool
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I went with a friend for a spa day treat. Used the pool and other facilites which were great and not crowded (even managed a dip in the outdoor pool not bad for November). The staff in the spa were very attentive I had a facial and hot stones leg massage both were really relaxing I could have stayed all day. Lunch was included soup and a sandwich which were both very nice eaten in the Victory Bar overlooking the golf course. I will be going back and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hi "welltravelledoap",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

We are pleased that you and your friend enjoyed your recent visit to the spa and also great that you used the outdoor pool.

I will ensure that the spa team are aware of this lovely review and I know they will be pleased to welcome you back again in the near future.