“Doesn't deserve the rating or De Vere name”

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Oxford
“Doesn't deserve the rating or De Vere name”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed with family in July for the second time.
Room was O.K but beginning to look dated. The spa is excellent. The hotel staff were lovely but food service in the restaurant and the Victory pub intolerable slow, not due to the serving staff but down to mismanagement. Food order was 'lost' in the restaurant kitchen so we were sitting down for an hour before food appeared. The same happened in the Victory pub.
The main issue though is the heat within the hotel rooms from the first floor upwards. The bedroom was unbearably hot and I ended up sleeping on the floor which was marginally cooler than the bed! When I complained at check out the gentleman on the front desk advised that there had been many complaints but the hotel has no air conditioning. I asked to lodge a formal complaint and was promised a call or email from the manager but guess what - no response!!
Playing golf was also a stressful experience. Two four balls had been booked in front of a 3 ball and us, a two ball group. One of the four balls were obviously a stag do who just couldn't play golf and didn't know the etiquette so ended up launching balls onto other peoples greens and generally mucking about causing a massive backlog. Nothing was done by the course management. We wouldn't play here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a cold room. It didn't help us but the more people that highlight the heat issue the bet...
1 Thank KLaser
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hi "KLaser",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise that you did not enjoy your overall stay at the hotel, along with your round of golf.

I will of course ensure that your feedback to relayed to the team on site and if you do wish to discuss your issues further then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Thanks,

Janine Whur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Although we only stayed for one night we found the staff very pleasant , the rooms immaculate and the general accommodation first class. Indoor and outdoor pool , squash courts and golf course. Free wifi throughout the venue Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi "mel66186451",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay with us and hope that when you do return in the future you have the opportunity to stay for longer.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Myself, partner and our 2 children stayed at this hotel on tue 29th July 2914. Just a one night stay. We had a family room and it was big enough for 2 families. Lots of space , the room had 2 double beds a pull out sofa bed and we also had a cot out in the room. There was still plenty of space to walk around. The bathroom was very large with double sinks , a shower cubical and large bathtub and toilet. The staff were all very polite and helpful.. Leisure facilities were free to guests so the children loved swimming in the heated pool. There is also one outside that was warm even in the morning . We ate in the bar as the Italian restaurant inspire didn't open till 6pm (this was just a little late for the kids ) food was fNtastic and the portions were massive. Very happy over all and would certainly recommend and stay here again

Room Tip: What they call upper deck are larger rooms
Hi "Kimberley H",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are thrilled that you and your family had a great stay us and are pleased that you enjoyed the space within your room and that the children enjoyed utilising the facilities in particular the outdoor pool.

We look forward to welcoming you all back when you do return to Blackpool again.

Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

2 stars. 1 for the staff who were universally friendly, and 1 for the bed which was comfy. However.........

........Serves me right..........

Should have known this organisation is a very poor sub brand of de vere when the helpful member of staff on the central booking line tried to sell me a room at £135 when I was looking at the web page saying it was £105. Even more so when, as I declined, he pointed out that if I rang back later to book after all the price may have changed....

Booked at last minute. Therefore tolerated the £105 rate. Advised them I would be checking in late. No problem she said, not bothering to advise me that........

.......When I arrived at 10.05 pm and asked if it was too late for restaurants and would room service be required, I was advised that food including room service finishes at, you've guessed it, 10.00 pm. "£100 quid a night in a so called 4 star hotel and there's no food at all after 10pm" says I.

"Sorry sir it's brand standard" says her.

"We usually suggest our guests to order a takeaway.... Would you like a menu?"

"Also, I can't get my air conditioning to work in the room?"

"Sorry sir, there is no aircon, but there's a fan in the wardrobe.

"It's brand standard, sir."

Disgusting pint in the bar accompanied by a pack of crisps for dinner. Roasting hot room with no aircon.

Never again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank lesjackos
Hi "lesjackos",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay and that you were not informed about the opening times of the outlets at your time of booking.

Although I am pleased that you did find the staff friendly and that you did have a comfortable nights sleep.

If you would like to discuss your issues further, then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at: Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here a few times and love it, they never quite get it right but then do their best to put things right. This hotel is relaxed, immaculately clean, has great facilities and wonderful parking it is located close to the wonderful Stanley park giving you a family day out to remember without the dreaded car, I took my grandchildren for a three day break and they had a ball at no point did we feel inclined to go into Blackpool centre we made full use of facilities the weather helped of course as sitting on the terrace overlooking the golf course while the children enjoyed playing and good quality food from the victory menu perfect. Not all good though you have to fight for what was promised at booking and you need to check the pool times for the children they are very strict, altho other activities were provided for the youngsters while they can't use the pool. I have visited before in all adult parties and feel you get a better deal without children in your party. Also the room was airless and just to hot even when provided with fans.

Room Tip: Not sure about rooms think they are much the same a friend of mine had upperdeck upgrade on another...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hi "needabreak493",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

Its always lovely to hear from a regular guest and we are pleased that you and your grandchildren had a great time at the hotel.

We do hope that you and your family will come and visit us again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here for a weekend break with family and was delighted with everything. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, there is an abundance of leisure facilities with the outdoor swimming pool being a huge bonus. The bar and restaurant are excellent and a pleasure to dine in. This has to be the best hotel in Lancashire for family breaks with so much in the one resort. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Ideal for people wishing to dip in and out of Blackpool who would rather stay five minutes outside in a luxury hotel. Cannot fault anything.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
VILLBLACK, General Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 23 September 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Village The Hotel Club Blackpool.

It is great to hear you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us in order to improve and grow our business and I will be sure to pass your comments back to the relevant departments.

Kind Regards

James Stewart - Senior General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

So Mr Hotel manager, here is the review that I promised that I would write for you after you kindly sent your assistant manger to deal with my complaint, I'm sure now you will be able to see how your hotel has assisted me in wasting so much of my time and money only this time at arms length so you don't have to deal with a disappointed customer. I write this without prejudice. We booked via the website which I found rather confusing as they were advertising an offer that included dinner bed and breakfast however when we progressed to the payment screen it became apparent that dinner was not included. We called the central reservations to be told the offer wasn't applicable to the weekend we intended to go so we had not option other than to book the standard B&B, a little disappointing as no where on the website could we find information on where it stated the offer wasn't available, nor could the gent on the phone tell us where it stated this either.
We arrived on the Saturday after noon 2 hours before the stated check in time (15:00hrs). To be fair I half expected to pay an additional fee for early check in however we were not charged and the reception staff were friendly and welcoming. We had booked 2 rooms, 1 a family room for 2 adults and an infant the other a family room for 2 adults and a 7 year old child. Both rooms were about the same size however the cot that we had requested had not been sent to the room, easily rectified with the helpful reception staff. The hotel and rooms looked clean to me, you could always pick on a couple of points that need attention but in general nothing major. The bathroom in the family room could barely fit 1 person let alone trying to fit a parent trying to bath a child, I would be surprised if there was more than 3' x 3' of floor space, family room? really? maybe family bedroom but certainly not family bathroom! BTW, every Spa hotel I have ever stayed in tends to leave little spa like toiletries in the bathroom, shampoo with sea salt, body wash with ginger, that type of thing..... Does the village? no, they provide handwash, shampoo and body wash in 3 little fancy dispensers for you to use, Guess what else, even though they have different labels on them I'm 90% sure they contain exactly the same stuff..... granted I speculate here and I base my assumption solely on the look, texture and smell of the products but I am pretty convinced.
1st activity, food, we were all starving by 1730hrs and the restraint wasn't opening till 1800hrs, The victory bar came highly recommended by the reception staff so off we went. Wow! how busy, obviously there had been a golf competition on because the number of golfers and their partners was amazing. The bar was filled with empty glasses and people were waiting 3 deep at the bar, I placed my order, finally, my Hoegaarden arrived flat, I refused it, the 2nd arrived flat, I refused it, I asked to swap to Budweiser to save waiting on the staff, guess what? Flat! I drank it. Food arrived pretty quick, quite tasty, why do you serve me a huge stacked burger on a wooden plank, It always slides off, can you not just give it to me on a plate? We were not about to hang around as some of the golfers were becoming rather inappropriate as they became more and more intoxicated, I asked a member of staff if they could possibly have a word as some of the behaviour was borderline hedonism, the response I received was "what would you like me to do?" It would appear that it is more acceptable to have a pair of parents, a pair of grand parents and a pair of small children remove themselves from the situation than dare offend the rather less responsible, but more consuming golf fans.
At bed time we retired to our room expecting a great nights sleep, ok so it is probably the hottest day of the year, guess what, no air conditioning and the window open about 4", never in my life have I slept in a room as hot, I woke up every how to change the pillow over in order to stop myself sleeping in a puddle of sweat. The reception staff agreed as well did the cleaners, the rooms are hot but we are experiencing some amazing weather, they even agree that the 8" fan doesn't really help, can they do anything? nope!
Breakfast, Brilliant! Staff were lovely and really eager to please. Table opposite us asked for poached egg's, 10 minutes later they have them. We asked for hot chocolate, 10 minutes later, we had it. Good selection of cold cereals etc. Hot food was lovely and of good quality. we got there for about 8am and boy am I glad we did, by 09:30 guest were forming a line across reception waiting to get in.
That night we book in for our buffet carvery, starters were slow at coming, the carvery was of good size and quality. Deserts, we it took over 10 minutes from the 1st desert arriving till the last one arrived. None of us bothered to finish them and I ask for the Hotel manager. 5 minutes later a young girl appears to tell me she is the manager, I question her, "You are the hotel manager?", "no I'm his assistant, can I help", "Is he busy?", "Yes". I complain as to why I am so annoyed with the meal only to be hit with all the excuses under the sun, "We are trialling a new menu", "I have spoken to the chef", "It's not acceptable". She didn't understand that my entire trip is slowly being ruined by one little thing after another, a trip that is costing well over £400, and all I wanted was to speak to the hotel manager..... she apologised and charged me for the meal minus our deserts and a bottle of wine..... I really hope she gets to read this and try to understand why I wouldn't be staying for the 3rd night. In fact, I hope the MD of Village urban resorts reads this and takes a moment to feel proud about the wonderful family resort that he/she has created in Blackpool. May I suggest you try out one of your competitors spa hotels to see how it should be done.

9 Thank Busterboy29
Hi "Busterboy 29",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Blackpool.

We would like to apologise that you have had a disappointing experience at the hotel. If you do wish to speak to our General Manager direct then please do not hesitate to contact him via the main switchboard on: 01253-838866 as he will be more than happy to talk to you and discuss your issues further.