“Shocking service ” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Shocking service ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We are just returning from a 2 night stay here, the hotel is very average rooms are very standard beds are poor on the plus side the hotel pool/spa faculties are very good outside pool was the better of the pools. The worst thing about the hotel was the very very poor service we revived in the buca Italian restaurant in the hotel we got seated at 8:30 after already booking earlier in the day for a table at 8 once we was at the table it taken a good 45 min before we got our drinks for the table to have been told that the drinks recipet didn't get through to the bar and that they had forgot about us. We finally got our starters that came which was garlic bread x3 which 2 weren't so burnt had to send them back and the other one was barley cooked. The mains then arrived which taste wise were so bland one of the party found his calzone that tasteless he left well over half. So after all this we wanted to speak to the manager and tell him our concerns to which it took him well over 15min to bother to come to the table but he might aswel not had bothered he told us "what did we want him to do about it" to me that sort of attitude from a manger is very poor. We wasn't the only party to be complaining there was a few disappointed people by the service and food in this restaurant. So this was a very poor end to a great Weekend spent in the hotel.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank lee m
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hi "lee m",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise for your poor experience within our main restaurant and I do hope this has now been rectified directly with you?

Please be assured your feedback will be relayed to our restaurant team and we do appreciate all feedback we do receive.

If you would like to discuss your issues further then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

booked into this hotel after deciding to stay while at a boxing match my friend was fighting in nightmare from start to finish an hour before the boxing started asked my partner if she wanted to have dinner went into the restaurant 3 staff running round like headless chickens after 45 mins walked out of the restaurant telling the young waitress to cancel the order not waiting any longer after the fight my partner decided to book into the hotel (thought minor mishap earlier) when we got to the room the lights didn't work properly (put the key in the holder to turn lights on) and as we just wanted something to eat and to sleep at this point rang down to room service (no answer) then rang reception who then put me through to the restaurant again (no answer) my partner went down to the restaurant and was told "we dont have enough staff on tonight we will call you when your food is ready" when my partner returned to the room at this point alarm bells were ringing why have we paId 102 pound to stay in a place that you cannot even eat in.
We decided to leave finally spoke to the duty manager after speaking to some ignorant female at the reception saying there is nothing wrong with the room or the service in the hotel, 25-30 mins of arguing with the duty manager in the end we left in a taxi for the Metropole Hotel in Blackpool which i must say is a better hotel with better services and better staff

I finally received a full refund after waiting 3 days for the money to go back into my account will never again even go back into this hotel after the way myself and my partner was treated by the staff.
Word of warning check the sheets soon as you get into your room make sure they do not have urine stains on them take pics because you will be accused of lying by the reception staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Liam M
VILLBLACK, General Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 23 September 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Village The Hotel Club Blackpool.

It is great to hear you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us in order to improve and grow our business and I will be sure to pass your comments back to the relevant departments.

Kind Regards

James Stewart - Senior General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We recently stayed here for 2 nights and were slightly apprehensive after reading some of the reviews.
On arrival check-in was swift and efficient and the receptionist was professional and friendly. Another reviewer mentioned that information was not offered regarding the Wi-Fi code but there was a notice on the reception desk when we arrived which prominently displayed the code.
Our room, (202), was a standard double. It was a good size and overlooked the outdoor pool. We were able to open the window sufficiently to cool the room (although outside temperatures were lower than a few weeks ago). The décor was slightly dated in that the furnishings were a little dark but everywhere was spotlessly clean and the bed was extremely large and very comfortable. The Wi-Fi worked without any problems in our room.
The bathroom was fairly small but again extremely clean and the towels were large and of good
quality.
The room was at the end of the corridor so there was no 'passing traffic' and we heard no noise from any of the nearby rooms.
We were a little surprised that, for a hotel of this quality, there was no in-room safe, although I understand that valuables could be deposited at reception (not as convenient). This was the only negative aspect of our room however.
As we were doing other things we did not have time to make use of the leisure facilities but the pools looked very inviting and seemed very popular, although not crowded.
At breakfast we were seated quickly even though the restaurant was busy. My husband's cooked breakfast was fine, as was my granola with berries and croissants. When we left there was quite a long queue of people waiting to enter.
On our second morning we had to leave at 5 o'clock, which was obviously too early for breakfast
but we were able to arrange for coffee and pastries to be waiting for us at reception which was much appreciated.
Overall we had an excellent stay and, in particular, thought the staff we encountered to be a credit to the hotel (reception, housekeeping, breakfast staff).
We thought the location was perfect for us as the grounds were lovely and it was nice to stay in a quieter part of Blackpool. We did lots of walking during our stay and did not find the distance to the seafront a problem - a 30 minute stroll I would estimate.
If ever in the area again we would certainly return to this hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
Hi "dorsetchristine",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you both enjoyed your stay with us and I will ensure that the team are aware of your great feedback along with the constructive comments you have made.

I do hope you will come back and see us again soon and have the opportunity to use the leisure facilities.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked here as a family including both sets of Grandparents as we didn’t want a everyday B&B in Blackpool centre. Comes highly recommended as we all had a great time. Restaurant didn’t open in time for us to use in the evening as we had booked to go and see Mamma Mia, but the village pub food was excellent and well-priced. We sat on the veranda overlooking the Golf resort which have stunning views.
The Leisure club inc the outdoor pool are superb. Wish I had stayed for longer than 1 x night so I could have used tried the Gym.
Breakfast – as normal for a village / de vere was amazing.
the reception staff where really polite and very helpful in getting us a taxi (minibus).
WILL 100% BE VISITING AGAIN. THANK YOU SO MUCH. GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY. TRAVELED 26/07/14

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank StuM0rris
Hi "StuMOrris",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

Its great to hear that you and your family had a lovely time at the hotel, I will ensure that the team on site are aware of your very positive comments.

We do hope that next time you visit us you have the opportunity to stay longer?

Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

OK FOR THE PRICE

Did 3 nights here last week for a chance to show our 8 year old the sights of Blackpool without staying in B&B land. The hotel was ok for the price. I booked it direct through the hotel website which proved cheaper than the usual popular multi hotel websites.

The room was satisfactory. The bedding and towels were clean and generally the room was clean but for some dust in the less visible areas ie., floor, lamps, windowsill. The bathroom was small. As we were staying just three nights, this didn’t matter but one thing that did was that the room was terribly dark. There was no main ceiling light; just one spot light in the entrance area, one desk lamp that did not work, and one floor lamp that was so dim I wondered if it was at all lit. There were two bedside wall lights; again extremely dim, but one did not work. We reported this on day one and late on day two a young lady arrived in the evening with a bulb. This wasn’t the right one so she revisited later with another bulb. This didn’t work either and we heard nothing further. So, our room was dark all the time with the most light coming from the TV. I had to sit close to the TV to get the light to be able to read. One morning, we left our room card in the slot whilst we went to breakfast so’s to charge our mobile phones. The housekeeping staff took it. We had to go to Reception to get another.

We used the indoor pool and it was very nice. The only downside was that our 8 year old was not permitted to use it after 6.00 pm. It was nice and warm, clean and well organised. There is an outdoor pool also but the weather not warm enough to use it.

Breakfast was nice and staff worked very hard and were attentive. It was busy however and we had to queue a short while to get in. Staff were whizzing about like mad to get people through. There are some very strange pictures on the wall of the main dining room especially at the far end. My boy made me laugh after looking at them for a while and, as predicted, asked me questions as to why men’s private parts were on display. It is all in the name of ‘art’ of course but that meant nothing to my 8 year old. Still, it gave us a laugh.

Now the one thing I do not like, and cannot agree with, is having pets in hotels. On arrival at Reception I looked to my right to find a DOG sitting with its owner on the settee, and one sitting beside him on the floor. Later, as we returned at about 10.00 pm, I saw more dogs coming through into reception having been taken out for their evening walk. I don’t know whether they were day guests or staying at the hotel but if so, it seems logical to assume they are using the hotel rooms. I don’t dislike dogs, and realise dog lovers will be offended, but it makes me cringe to think that animals are permitted in the rooms and if so, worse, probably in the beds which I know is nothing unusual for avid dog lovers. Sorry………this is a no no for me on the hygiene front. It rained some of the time and the Reception area was laden with that wet doggy smell one or twice. We had one or two little episodes of barking in the Reception area but nothing major. Admittedly, I never saw a dog in any of the dining areas and as I say, I do not know whether they were accepted into the rooms.

The hotel is close to Blackpool Zoo which we didn’t visit but could hear a lion roaring during two or our 3 nights. We visited Blackpool Tower and Blackpool Circus which I’d recommend. My 8 year old enjoyed it immensely. It is quite well put together. Sandcasltes Water Park was great and was our 8 year old’s favourite attraction. It is nice and warm inside and clean. It was packed though but to be expected during the Summer holiday season. Queues were huge but we were able to walk straight in to the Internet booking desk due to doing this online the week before. We visited the Pleasure Beach which looks a bit ‘old hat’ now in comparison to Alton Towers, Flamingoland, etc. But, Nickelodeon land, within the Pleasure Beach, was lovely.

All in all we had a pleasurable stay and the hotel met our needs and was to my expectation. It is just a little rough around the edges but good for the price and a good backdrop location away from the madness of Blackpool front. Yes, I’d go again but would not want to pay any more than we did.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night 11/08/14. First impressions were very good. The hotel drive is very nice and check in was excellent. The guy that checked us in was very polite and professional. We had booked an Upper Deck room which overlooked the golf course and was very clean and pleasant. Left the car in the car park and took a taxi to the Pleasure Beach which was £10. Returned later that evening and decided to have dinner in the pub bit of the hotel and this is what lets the hotel down so much. After waiting at the bar to be served we found a table which was sticky to say the least. After checking over the uninspiring menu we ordered a starter and main course and watched tables leaving (it wasn't busy) and not 1 member of staff cleaned the tables or removed dirty glasses/plates etc. Our food arrived after approx. 15 minutes and this is where it got strange. Our starters came with the main courses and it took 2 attempts to explain why we didn't wwant them at the same time?? The food was ok, wish I would have opted for the Italian. Had a good night's sleep and breakfast the next morning was good, I had continental while my partner went for the full english (I think the price is the same regardless, I just prefer continental). Again check out was as efficient as check in. Would I go back, probably not as I have no desire to visit Blackpool, however I would probably try one of the other hotels in the chain as I liked the room, just a massive let down in the pub area.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi "Julie G",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you did enjoy your overall stay with us but would like to apologise for the service you received within our main pub ... your comments will be passed to our Pub Manager so she is fully aware of your experience.

I do hope that if you are in the Blackpool area again you would choose us and its great to hear that you would use Village Hotels again.

Thanks,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Booked for 09/08/14 to 11/08/14 although reviews were mixed. Booked due to taking 2 grandsons aged 9 and 1 so handy for Stanley Park, Zoo and the hotel leisure facilities. Paid for dinner, bed and breakfast with a glass of wine each with evening meal and free wifi.

On arrival the reception staff were good, fast and efficient but too fast because they did not give me the password for the wifi. Unless you ask they don't offer. I find this poor service and should be part of the booking in procedure.

The rooms were reasonable and heavily used so a bit tired. Clean though but a bit cramped. It was only 19 degrees but the room was very warm and although you get a fan it was uncomfortable during the night so air condition units would be great. Pity help anyone if it was a higher temp outside.

We used the indoor and outdoor pools and the facilities were good. We never used anything else and they give you towels and the use of lockers.

Dinner on the first night was good and service very quick even though it was busy. There was a wedding on too. We booked a table, thought this was better than turning up and maybe having to wait, we were seated at the requested time. Waitress was nice, polite and friendly. Was asked what package we were on and told them dinner was included. They gave us 3 menus, one which was standard for the package we had, grill menu and a la carte menu. If we did not use the package menu we had £14.50 each go use towards the other menus. The package menu was fine as was the others. Meals were ok as were portions. Asked for bill and they had added the £29 subsidy for the meals rather than take it off. Did correct it though once pointed out. Was never offered the free glass of wine that was part of the package. So if you don't ask you don't get. Poor service.

The second night was very poor. Booked a table with female supervisor. Attended at time and male supervisor never had the booking. No problem he gets us a table right away as the restaurant was quiet. The grandson noticed figures that were made with balloons. He had seen these the night before and although they were giving them out he was not offered one. He was not happy but never said too much. A waiter saw him looking at them and told him he would get him one.

Seated and given a menu, the supervisor never explained about the menu or how the carvery worked and told us our server would be over shortly. Waited for ages and a girl took our drinks order. Noticed another couple were seated near us and they waited ages so got up and left.

Drinks came and once again we were never offered our glass of wine. It took another good 15 mins before giving our order and received the starts 10 mins after that. Too long. Went up to get our meal as it was a carvery it was a buffet style. Had roast beef and Roast gammon but no turkey left. Could help yourself to veg, potatoes, gravy and Yorkshire puddings. It looked good.

The grandson by this time was impatient for the balloon figure and get on about it. The female supervisor was asked and she became very rude, talked over us and told us that as they bought them in they only had so many and were all gone. No apology even though pointed out a waiter had gold the grandson he would get one and had not received one the night before. No apology or empathy shown. Poor and very rude service.

Spoke with the male supervisor who was more concerned and showed mor empathy. A couple of minutes later the female supervisor returned with balloons and a ballon figure but no real apology. Even though she did this it was too little too late. Pushed our meals to the side, asked for the bill and you guessed it they had added the subsidy again. Once again I had to get them to change it. Paid what I had go and the change I left for the waitress. A ruined evening and actually ruined the stay.

The breakfasts were alright, buffet style, cereal selection not great, jars of yogurt and fruit selection was not great either.

On booking out it was quick and asked how my stay was. The receptionist listened, was helpful, offered me to speak with a duty manager but as we were going to the zoo I declined but she gave an email address to contact them.

Was it worth it? It would have been if the problems in the restaurant were not there. Adding the subsidy is a training issue even though it happened 2 nights in a row. Not being offered the wine was poor service as was not receiving the password for the wifi. The rude restaurant supervisor though was unacceptable. It was not that busy, people were leaving due to waiting times and poor service and if she had treated other people the way she treated us then no wonder people write reviews which are not great.

Would I return? If there is no air condition, the service in the restaurant does not change and the female supervisor in the restaurant does not get moved away then no.

It could be a lot better if they made some changes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James H
Hi "James H",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise for the disappointing service you did receive within our main restaurant and I will ensure that the team are fully aware of this.

We are pleased that you did have the opportunity to utilise the leisure facilities and that you enjoyed using both of the pools.

Thanks,