“Not worth £100 a night !!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Blackpool

Village Hotel Blackpool
Ranked #29 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Not worth £100 a night !!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

We got too urban village resort and looked good from the outside. Once inside we attempted too check in but was told our room wasnt ready but we thought ok was half hour early so we sat and had a coffee whilst we waited then 3 pm came asked again and still room not ready so we thought wed go into Blackpool 1st and check in later !! we got bk too the hotel at just before 9pm too be told our room had been given someone else and wed have too have a disabled room wasnt happy cause we had booked our room so shouldnt have been given too anyone else !! it was a family room with a cot booked but when we finally were given a room no sign of a cot and they said they had no recall of us requesting a cot yet they actually emailed us saying they would sort a cot out no problem !!! The room was quite dated and no air conditioning just a small fan definitely not what u expect for a £100 a night 4 star hotel !! Had a meal in the Italian restaurant and the staff in there were nice but the food was just a piece of chicken no veg or fries no salad no side at all so wasnt impressed.
All in all was far too expensive for what it was, kids were only allowed in the pool certain times, the room was dated and no air con so far too hot. Would not stay there again definitely not for £100 a night anyway

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tammyb78
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Hi "tabbyb78",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise for the disappointment you and your family did experience with regards to being allocated the incorrect room. I will ensure that the Reception team are aware of your comments.

If you would like to discuss your issues further then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stopped at the Heron's Reach hotel for 3 nights over the August bank holiday weekend with my 12 year old nephew.
Having never stopped at a Village hotel before I was unsure of what to expect.
First the pro's - The hotel is in a great location, 30mins walk from the main hustle and bustle. The hotel had great facilities - the main one being the outdoor swimming pool, lovely and warm and well needed after a ride on the Pepsi max. The staff were very helpful and the food at both the Victory pub and the italian restaurant was very good, the food took no time at all to come out. There was a large choice on both menus. The rooms were very clean and plenty to watch on the TV (it was raining one day so made use of the facilities) Free wifi another bonus - You should never have to pay for this!
The con's - The food at both restaurants is expensive, whilst there was a large choice for patrons there should be a discount when stopping in the hotel. Whilst the outdoor pool is fab they open it up at 06:30am so if you have a room opposite the pool be prepared for some splashing and noise first thing in the morning - I would suggest this is not opened until 08:00am us workers would like a lay in on our holiday :)
All in all I would say it was a great break and a hotel I would recommend and stop at again.

Room Tip: If you want a lay in do not have a room on the lower floors overlooking the pool
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi "Victoria499",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you did enjoy your stay with us and enjoyed using the outdoor pool. I will also pass on your feedback to our Leisure Manager with regards to the opening times of the outdoor pool.

We do hope that you will return and see you again in the near future.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed 17.8.14 with my children, and we were all pleasantly surprised by the hotel.
Plenty of parking on arrival, and a friendly welcome at reception, where I was given all the information I needed re checkout, breakfast and wifi.

Breakfast was absolutely fab, brilliant choice at both the continental, and the hot buffet.
Loved having our hot drinks bought to the table, makes things easier.
We went down at 7.15am, and it was very quiet, however when we wandered past around 9ish, there was a queue to be seated, so if you're greedy and impatient like us, you're better off getting in early!

Room was very clean and well equipped, was great to have a full power hairdryer rather than the flimsy ones so often found in hotels!

All in all a great stay, my son is already talking about our next trip to Blackpool and when he can stay in the "fancy hotel" again :D

1 Thank LilCoco2014
Hi "LilCoco2014",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you and your family had a great stay and it sounds like you are already planning a return trip to see us?

We look forward to welcoming you all back when you do return.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my young son 14-15 Aug 14. I booked a twin room. We arrived a little early hoping that we our room might be ready however by his was not possible so we sat and waited until 3pm, when we suddenly found ourselves at the end of a long queue to check in.

We finally checked in and went to our room only to find it was a double, not a twin so I had to return to reception. Luckily someone in the queue took pity on me and allowed me in front to speak to the receptionist. My room was quickly changed however I was offered no help to move our bags from one room to the other, which was located at the other side of the hotel.

Our room was lovely. We had a view over the outdoor swimming pool, and could see over to the pleasure park and the tower. Very nice bath/shower room. Everything was exceptionally clean and well thought out.

The hotel is nicely located a couple of miles away from the hussle and bussle of Blackpool. A taxi to the front costs about £5. The hotel looks great, both inside and out.

The swimming pools are lovely. This was one of my main reasons for using this hotel. When you go to the club reception they give you towels and a locker. Changing rooms were very nice and spacious. The pools are heated and we loved them both. The only down side was that children are only allowed to use the swimming pools between limited hours. I was not aware of this, although it does state this is the case in the hotel literature. Children can only use the pools between 9am and 7pm. Fine maybe for younger children, not quite so fine with older children. This policy is enforced and my 12 year old son was not allowed to swim after 7pm.

Breakfast was OK but not fantastic. We went down early both days to ensure no delays. The restaurant staff were very friendly. There was lots of choice of food, all self service.The cooked breakfast was fine but I have had much better. Be warned, if you go down to breakfast late there are long queues. Both days I saw people stood in very long queues which snaked out into the reception area.

In summary, we had a nice stay here but there were a few disappointments, which I would not expect from a top quality hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucacsp
jwhur, Guest Relations Manager at Village Hotel Blackpool, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hi "Lucacsp",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you did enjoy your overall stay and enjoyed your room with a view although we would like to apologise that your initial room was not set up as required. We are also pleased that you did enjoy utilising both of the pools.

We do hope that if you are in the Blackpool area you will choose to stay with us again.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

By far the worst trip we have had to Blackpool. Food in the hotel was inedible. Service was very slow and very poor. We were next to smokers in a room (even though the hotel admitted it was not a smoking floor they could not move us as it was full!) and the room stank - as did all of our belongings. There was a wedding booked on every night of our stay (3 nights over a bank holiday weekend) and it was so noisy it kept us awake til the early hours. We will never return here and intend to educate everyone how AWFUL it is. We expected it to be a de vere standard. This is NOT the case.

2 Thank Ecuk55
Hi "ecuk55",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise that you did have a disappointing experience. Unfortunately, we are a busy hotel and do try to cater for all. We are also a non-smoking hotel so guests should not be smoking in the rooms and this is not tolerated, this was raised with the guests directly and its such a shame that they chose to do this.

If you would like to discuss your experience further then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

Janine Whur

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Oxfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel is built solidly, clean and well appointed. After popping into The Big Blue hotel I was pleased to be staying here as the hotel near the theme park appeared less impressive and full of teenagers, The Village is ideal for families and gym seekers. I was very pleased with the great leisure facilities including and extensive gym and swimming pool. We has a great room with 2 large separated king beds and bed sofa. It was very much like their establishment in Bournemouth but with much better grounds. The staff are friendly and kind our children got gifts on the bed and at meal times. The big downfall is the poor food in the restaurant. Have they got any senior person in the restaurant checking food taste or whether it has been micro waved properly. The staff all looked very young in this department. This was were the Bournemouth hotel wins. The pizza were all way to spicey and you cannot taste the meat. The restaurant needs lightening up and redecoration. At breakfast the food is poorly laid out on a small round table at the end. There is little choice for the most expensive hotel in the area – just 2 cereals and scrambled egg that looks inedible? They need to put a better stand in the centre of the restaurant with more replenished selection. Small food dishes on a small table just looks as if they are being tight. The previous reviews on here are clearly damaging this hotels chains reputation and they need to address the restaurant issue quickly. It makes me wonder if I would have this chain number 1 on my list any more? This is a smart hotel but eat out and don’t expect a 4* breakfast treat. It feels like a 2* dining experience. Looking at the sea front many of the hotels are in need of some much love and attention. I can imagine that the village hotel has hit them hard. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the landlords write bad reviews to put you off going here? The food is the only area that they can compete! Devere give your customers better value with the food here! Send someone in to sort this issue out!

Room Tip: Get the larger family room.
Hi "Cockyhenlow",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We are pleased that you and your family did enjoy your overall stay with us but would like to apologise for your disappointing experience within our main restaurant. Your feedback will be relayed to both the Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef.

We do hope that if you are in the Blackpool area again you will choose to stay with us and if you would like to discuss your issues further then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at Janine.whur@devere-hotels.com

England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I don't tend to write bad reviews so will try and keep it constructive for people looking to stay. I personally wouldn't stay again and would advise against it if you have children.

Location: good - out of town but that's a positive when it all gets a bit much. We found the location tranquil with great groups and next door to the zoo.

Rooms - poor. Having stayed in upper deck in the past we didn't see much difference so opted for a family room. It's a double with a pull out which we had to fold away during the day so we didn't fall over each other. The room was dreadfully hot and even housekeeping agreed it was a problem. The bathrooms do have a bath which is a bonus but the room is crampt. The overall standard is just lacks what you would expect. Difficult space to manage with a child.

Restaurant - poor - the food was average but we were disappointed to find out that on Sundays your only choice is buffet or burgers. Not our thing and the staff simply aren't up to it including the manager. We eventually paid our bill after 5 errors 45 minutes after finishing our meal and that with a 30 minute wait in the middle for deserts. Whole process is over 2.5hrs with a child. There is an amazing new Italian waiter who did not serve our table but read the situation and showered our son with attention which we appreciated. I would not recommend for anyone to eat there sadly.

Lesuire facilities - good. To be expected.

Value for money - poor - we paid £150 pn for dbb. It wasn't with it in the slightest. It struggled to compete with a premier inn standard in my view.

I don't think we are particularly fussy and know mistakes happen but I judge on how these are rectified. At no point during our stay did I hear a story after 2 nights of faulty towers style service. The village still have a lot of training to undertake.

Hi "NWDEngland",

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort Blackpool.

We would like to apologise for the disappointing stay you recently had. Please be assured all feedback is appreciated and I will ensure that the team on site are aware of the issues you did experience.