“Impressed”

Ranked #66 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Impressed”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I recently stayed in one of the family rooms with my sister and our two babies. After reading the reviews we were really concerned what the hotel would be like, particularly as we were taking two young children. When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised. The lobby and the bar area, although they could have done with a fresh coat of paint, looked quite grand. Our room on the third floor was spacious and had a wonderful sea view. The linen on the beds all looked clean and the room was nice and tidy.

The hotel is old and as I mentioned earlier could do with some refurbishment. However for £45 per night, which included a lovely buffet style breakfast what more could you ask! We actually ended up staying a second night and had a fantastic break. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Sea view family rooms are recommended
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is just appalling. I don't consider myself terribly fussy I just expect some basic requirements for a budget hotel but this one failed on all those counts. It was not clean, dirty sheets, mould, rot, damp patches. It was not going to give me a good nights sleep as we were positioned on the main landing. And finally hot water - it had no hot water in the basin tap. We were moved rooms but this room was very much the same except the hot tap actually worked. Was told I could not get a refund as had to go through the travel agent I booked with. I will not rest till I do. In case I haven't made myself clear do not stay here. Even some b and bs are cleaner, cheaper and generally nicer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kin3

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Was a little put off by reviews on here but was pleasantly suprised! Clean and spacious room. Helpful and friendly staff! Hotel itself was quirky- in need or a refurb but for the price of the room great value! Even stayed an extra night! Breakfast was also tasty! We would definitely stay again :-)

• Stayed February 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Last time i said if its good enough for Jimmy White its good enough for me
.How things have changed.
The bedroom drawers had pieces of left over kebabs, the bedroom furniture is falling apart.
The cleaning of the room was extremely poor to summerise it was virtually non existant
with the cleaner( Kelly) over looking us completely on the Saturday.
A good offer on bar prices 2 pints for £5, but the sign on the bar said go to reception for bar service.Four patrons waited a good 10 mins.including two trips to reception before a staff member came.
On Friday & Saturday there was an organist but the room was freezing also was the breakfast room this is unacceptable we had to wear coats just to keep warm.On speaking to the young man on reception about the cold dining area & bar he said "it was on full.-----TOUGH."
The manager should take control the young man on reception should go on a PR.course
The cleaners are taking money under false pretenses & likewise need retraining.
We spent 3 nights at the Savoy,we will not be going back.Once bitten twice shy.
Wonder if Jimmy White still stays there?

Room Tip: Do not go find another Brittania hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HUMPTYDUMPTY11
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for one night (thank god) what a dreadful place on check in we were given room 355 which should have been a executive room when we get to the room the furniture would have been outdated in the ark,chairs all stained and ripped,mattress if you could call in that was all springs,double glazed units in windows cracked and full of cobwebs,stains all over ceiling,walls filthy,but we thought for one night we would grin and bear it.
Went down for dinner and most people were sat eating there meal with there coats on because it was that cold plus I have had better food in a transport cafe after the meal we went into the lounge same again most people sat with coats on.
We went back up to our so called exec at about 11oclock just as I thought things could get no worse we get in the room to find creepy crawlies in the bed and up the walls we was going to drive home but we had both had a drink so ended up changing room at 11 15 pm NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fred t
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Booked this hotel just as a night away, had read some bad reviews but hey thought we'd give it a go!! When we arrived for check-in there was friendly member of staff on reception happy to help even upgraded our room to sea view at no extra charge!! The furnishings are a bit out of date but hey what do you want for £27 a night?!

The room was boiling on arrival but then stayed cold until departure!! The room was clean and smelt fresh although one of the windows was glued closed and the other once open, stayed open! The bedding was fresh and clean along with towels.

The bar was cold on the night time's with a cold draft, reasonable bar prices except spirits!
Was happy enough with the hotel and the staff that even booked another night, expecting to be changed rooms we didn't :)!

The breakfast was tasteless..the hot breakfast counter looked really nice too apart from the sausages and mushrooms, i have no idea what they did to them!! The breakfast could have been so nice if cooked properly. The cutlery was far from sparkling!!

Refurbish and i think certain manor-less, lazy, half-job staff would need replaced as it does have a big impact on the hotel and they aren't doing it any favors!!

Overall, was a great stay, good location also with tram and bus stop directly outside, if you drive probably best to leave your car at the hotels car park as this get very busy and hard to park if you do go out.

I am definitely booking this hotel again!! Great staff including John who I believe worked night shift, always friendly and up for a chat, happy to help with any requests with not even a moan!!

Look forward to staying again!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brentyboii
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at the Savoy for one night with a group of friends and was a little dubious after reading some of the revierws on here. We paid £29.00 per room through booking.com for bed and breakfast, which amounted to £13.50 per person as we were a group of four. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to sea-facing family rooms which was a lovely surprise. I was allocated room 106 which was adjoined with 108 to make a massive suite room! Our friends were also upgraded to a family-for-four room so we both had more than an adequate amount of space. At first the bed seemed to be a little too firm for me but I ended up having one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time! Breakfast was self service so we helped ourselves to a very good amount which set us up nicely for the day. The food quality could be a little better but we really couldn't (or wouldn't want to) moan, considering the price. All staff we came into contact with were helpful and friendly. The decor and furnishings are a little dated and the hotel could do with a bit of investment but I believe this is reflected in the price you pay. As the Front of House Manager of a hotel myself, I am all too familiar with the negative impact some reviews can have so it only seems fair to stress that in the case of the Savoy, if you are looking for a stopover with lots of character and charm which is brilliant value for money - look no further.

Room Tip: Room 106 was massive - adjoined with 108 into a suite room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends