“even the rats have left”
Review of Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 29 July 2014

terrible hotel ,shower didn't work ,chairs were filthy wanted non smoking room got smoking room ,couldn't see out windows so filthy toilet was blocked water running through electric light and it didn't just happen it was rusty so it had been doing this for a while ...definite hazard wallpaper hanging of the wall and smelly with damp and mould food was terrible sausages were really sawdust in disguise people with false teeth take a spare pair incase first pair break ..tables in lounge were filthy and sticky and everything was just dirty and falling to bits...what must foreign or international visitors think of the shambles...think twice its your hard earned money you are wasting

Room Tip: dont go .!!
2  Thank redcaz1010

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of your stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary. I have recently taken over management of the hotel, and I am going through all reviews, past and present, in order to highlight areas in need of improvement.

Operations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,198)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I honestly thought the reviews were exaggerating but unfortunately they were not. There is so much choice in Blackpool that this hotel should not be considered, ever! It is worn, dated, dirty and the staff have all but given up. They practically apologise when you are booking in! Our room had a threadbare chair and slats missing from the bunk beds. Seriously, it's such a shame as it looks so substantial from outside. I think with some investment from Britannia it could be magnificent but until then, choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JoEdmondson

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Please don't ever consider staying at this hotel, we have spent just one night of a two night stay , at this health hazard , and thankfully the second night was overbooked , so we managed to escape.

It started with a booking issue , but that may be the online booking company to blame for that (b*****g.com), but once we did get our double room (with a sea view), things started to get progressively worse.

I think that the pictures will probably tell the story better than I could ever articulate , but safe to say that for this hotel management to be prepared to allow a paying guest to sleep in this room is beyond me.

Also , we had booked B&B , but to be honest if the room quality was so poor then my confidence of the kitchen was lacking,so we passed on breakfast .

A truly shocking experience ,(although Blackpool was fab !!!)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael R

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked the savoy for one night then read all the reviews and thought OMG an going to stay at faulty towers
we booked so that we could get into the room at 12am so we arrived at 12am to be told by a face pulling receptionist that they hadn't got a room yet for us so we called for the manager more face pulling who straight away found us a room and then to be honest it was all uphill ok the rooms are a bit dated and the furniture is rough but for the price you pay its not going to be the Ritz
the rooms where spacious and the breakfast was good we had snacks from the bar which where cheap and good value for money so over all an average stay

I suppose you cant blame the girl on reception for not being bothered if the company its self cant be bothered to make this hotel look grand again come on Britannia hotels spend some money on your properties
yours sincerely rooms 353 and 323 24/7/14

Room Tip: 323 good family room but views poor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank eric1234_11

Reviewed 26 July 2014

from the moment we booked in we were looked after by the smiling staff who could not do enough for myself and partner the hotel lift was up to date and had plenty of room for guest and luggage the hotel rooms on the odd numbered rooms had great views and the windows opened smoothly to let the sea air in making the room cool and inviting the rooms had a modern decor that had an ambiance of the art deco style the hotel it self was well maintained and clean O.K BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER and i am taken to court for slandering the savoy with writing the above lies about a hotel that is a disgrace to hoteliers all over England we arrived at one thirty pm to be told we couldn't go into our rooms while three pm next the lift is so tiny that it would only take three people and three small suitcases and when you have traveled over one hundred miles and get stook behind a bus loads of holiday makers all making for a bee line for the lift you feel like your hearts been ripped out "but wait" having reached our room that was on the third floor and finally after ten attempts to open the door with the electronic key we where met by shabby not chic decor wall paper falling off the wall windows that had never been washed for years and looking on to a air vent system that made a noise like a concord engine obliviously we went to change rooms to find a conga line already forming to change rooms or complain. It was an and hot roasting day and myself partner decided to sit in the lounge bar for a drink only to be met from a cascade of water coming from the cieling above would i go to this hotel again I would sooner poke both my eyes out with a red hot poker sitting on a bag of viper snakes

2  Thank maggy56

Reviewed 19 July 2014

You get what you pay for, and we paid very little, £35.00 for two with a decent breakfast.

The room was OK with a sea view, sheets were clean and bed OK. Fast free wifi in the public rooms, good shower, and away from the tackiness of the Golden Mile

As others say, it is terribly run down and maintenance seems to be poor, our lavatory seat was very loose, and the lift was limited to three people, which, for a hotel of this size is totally inadequate. We had to call maintenance when our card entry door lock failed.

My main beef however was that the dining room closes at a very early hour, and we had to go out for an evening meal. .

Room Tip: Insist on a front or side room, the inner rooms look out on a tip, and the back rooms on depressing...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DPDance

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We needed a single overnight stay in Blackpool at short notice. This hotel showed up on the booking sites and seemed cheap and cheerful. For the price, it seemed a good deal, so we booked. Then I read the horror stories about this place. In my years I've stayed in some dreadful places so went with an open mind. As I always do when visiting somewhere for the first time.
So, what did we think of the place on just one night.
To start with the staff were reasonably friendly though mostly very busy.
The hotel itself is a beautiful building. In its heyday it would have been something quite grand.
If you look around you can see some of the marvellous architecture and craftsmanship in the building. It has a lot of real potential to be something splendid again.
But what have they done to it?
By mistake, (don't know whose) we, non smokers, got a smokers room. Smelt of cigarettes but what would you expect? We were going to complain but only realising the mistake in the morning and staying for just one night, decided not to bother.
And the rest of the room?
Very lacking in general maintenance. Although the bathroom was very spacious and had recently had some re-tiling done, the rest of it was showing signs of needing refurbishment. The shower worked well, as did the toilet and all other furnishings, (note the taps wrong way 'round, hot on the right, cold on the left). The bathroom door closed but no latch or lock, the door handle though fairly new was a bodged job.
The paintwork was peeling, and generally speaking it all looked very run down.
The furniture also looked like it had seen better days, stained, cracked, chipped.
However, all the bed-linen and towels were clean and fresh.
In the breakfast room, part of the carpet was fraying, a potential trip hazard. Just looking around that area, paint wallpaper and plaster were all peeling or flaking or cracking.
Though I'm not an expert, my impression of the place is that a decent D I Y enthusiast could do a better job of looking after the place, all of the obvious repairs seemed very amateurish.
All of this makes me think - "do the managers of hotels ever read these reviews?"
So over all what do I think? Would I recommend this place? If it's just an overnight stay and décor isn't a priority and you don't mind the lack of maintenance and you want somewhere cheap, then it's worth a try but not if you want to be choosey.
This is a gorgeous building with so much to offer yet whoever is in charge seems to be letting it all go to waste. There is nothing wrong with this hotel that proper maintenance and decoration would not put right. There is another side to this. The price we paid was very low, you cannot expect too much for that kind of price. But it could still be a very good hotel if they tried!

Room Tip: Don't make the mistake we did, check if it's a smokers room or not.
3  Thank Peter F