“Shocking rooms”

Ranked #65 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Shocking rooms”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Not a cheap hotel to stay at at all. The 2 rooms we had for family were both falling to bits. The curtains, when trying to close them were hanging off the rails and the carpet was threadbare in places. The sink took an eternity to drain and we found a lolly stick and a packet of fizzers behind a chair. I don't think the rooms are cleaned at all.... Plus side is the staff are brilliant and the food is gorgeous, I feel sorry for the receptionists with the amounts of complaints we overheard. Luckily we were out of our rooms most of the time.

Room Tip: Say you have checked Trip Advisor and want the best room.
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my apologies for those aspects of your stay that you were un-happy with.

Your comments about the disappointing elements of your stay have been de-briefed with the appropriate personnel and corrective action taken as necessary. I have recently taken over management of the hotel, and I am going through all reviews, past and present, in order to highlight areas in need of improvement.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I booked this as last minute with booking .com. Can I say this was not their fault. We were shown up to our room in the tiniest lift ever. The room was nothing like the one advertised or I would not have booked it. The window frame had holes in it so you could see outside with a crack in the glass. The legs had been taken off the bed, everything was falling apart. There was cleaning fluid left in the bathroom. My partner decided we should stay because were else would we get at last minute. He took a shower there was no cold water coming out of the taps only warm out of both. He let it run then got in as soon as he stood under it the water got hotter and scalded him on his neck and back, it was a good job it wasn't a child. I went to complain, they were not interested but offered me my money back. We packed went down stairs showed the receptionist the burn mark, again not interested. I told them I would take this matter further they said, ok do so, and does this mean your checking out. I have never been so disgusted in all my life

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel worst one ever
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary C

Operations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I booked for one night stay B&B and evening meal direct with the Savoy as my daughter had booked previously for herself and her son through a booking agency. On arrival I was given my room key and told it was on top floor but the lift did not go up to that level. I explained that as I was using crutches this was not suitable for me. The 2 girls on reception told me that there was nothing else available, fortunately a more senior(female) member of staff looked at the issue and found a room on the 2nd floor to which I was greatful. The room was basic, the bed was tidy but cleanliness was out of the window. About the windows, they were covered with bird muck, the window in the bedroom had no opening, the shower, mildew, hairs and stained. I went for the lift to go downstairs to find that you could not call for the lift (the only one in the so called hotel)from that floor. The only way was for someone to be getting out of the the lift on that floor when you were there to be able to use it. The housekeeper was very helpful she could see my situation with mobility and went to another floor and brought the lift for me. She said that the lift had been like that for a good while. When I eventually got downstairs I went to reception and complained, the 2 girls on the desk were very rude. I asked to see the manager, his attitude was even worse. He told me that the hotels engineer was very busy, because the chain of Britannia hotels was very large, this I thought was one big joke. When I laughed at this excuse asking if only one person was employed by the company to cover the work not just in Blackpool but nationwide his answer was if I was not happy don't stay and leave. I told him that not only does the hotel need reporting to the media but himself and the the other 2 on reception. His reply was to me you won't get far as he was a friend of Anne Robinson. I would never advise anyone to stay at the Savoy or any of the other hotels owned by the Britannia Group which also owns Pontins ENOUGH SAID. They say cleanliness is next to godliness, the Savoy is Hell. Manners maketh Man. Well I do not know what that manager is.My advise to booking agencies is to vet this hotel prior to advertising!

Room Tip: Don't go there in the first place!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank hazel e

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Quiet location opposite the beach, close to blackpool north railway station and bus and tram stops. Even using crutches found it a gentle walk to north pier and tower (along the beach) in under 30 minutes. Polite staff with friendly manner, keen to answer my questions and the many questions of my 7 year old daughter! Easy to relax in the comfortable lounge area and enjoyed evening entertainment. Found our room secure, tidy and comfortable and we enjoyed the spa bath. Quick response from reception on first day when I couldn't figure out how to drain the sink! Glad of the complimentary tea and coffee which was replaced every day and the informative literature also provided in the room. Stayed here on Bed and Breakfast basis and there was plenty choice of foods. Between us I think we tried a bit of everything and all was fresh and delicious. Made use of the room service on first day to have snacks brought up and this was arranged in an impressively timely manner and the food was again fresh and delicious. Also asked for an evening meal on the last day which was booked easily and top quality. Appreciated the use of the cloakroom to store my suitcase after checkout so we could enjoy our last few hours in the area without struggling.

Craig H, Manager at Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2015
Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the Staff. Its good to get a balanced view on these matters. Sometimes one has to experience the Hotel for them selves rather than rely on dubious inaccurate reports.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Craig Hull
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We booked a family short break here and on arrival found the parking was poor ,and with luggage for 4 children and 3 adults found this very disappointing & was told to park on a side street near by.
The rooms was as the title explained disgusting and horrific,I've worked all over the world in back and beyond places and I have to say it's the worst I've ever experienced.
Blood up the walls along side the toilet ,urine stains along the bathroom floor ,hairs hanging off the tiles in the bath,food on the floor,are many problems we found on our arrival.
The deco was very dated ,and furniture thread bare.
Needles to say we checked out the following day

Room Tip: Find another hotel completely
2 Thank plymouthcouple2013

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in this hotel, the rooms do not resemble the ones advertised on the website, our room was disgraceful, the wall paper was peeling off the walls, there were patches of mould and damp over the walls and ceiling, dead flies over the window sills, cob webs hanging from the ceiling, the bathroom was rotten, it needs some serious updating and decorating throughout, we asked to move rooms but we're told they had no spare rooms, I asked for a discount and the manager was suppose to arrange this for me, 5 days since the visit and I'm still waiting!!!! Do not stay here if you have standards regarding health & hygiene! Staff were unhelpful and miserable, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Helen N

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

£65 for a rabbit hutch hidden away on the forth floor room 3386 not a good start. Lift that only holds 3 at a time only went up to the third floor was told only a couple of steps to the next floor (what a fib) finally when we managed to find the room we were greeted by wallpaper hanging off the walls and some held on with cello tape ,windows that do not open but let in the rain ,mildew on the windowsill ,dirty skirting boards and a bed that was supposed to be a double more like a 3/4 the duvet only just fitted the bed so when you got in and covered yourself it was really to small (bedding was clean ) furniture was sparse no chair very small old fashion television The bar area is small and not enough room for everyone some comfy seats not many and some small chairs, breakfast area small and far to many tables and chairs you have a problem getting out and getting your food and when you do it's like a cattle market no organisation at all , plates are hot but food is not. The best part of this hotel is the exit doors which we used the next morning thank goodness .

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple