“Don't book with Travelstyle or Uk Breakaways you don't get what you pay for”

Norbreck Castle Hotel
Ranked #68 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Don't book with Travelstyle or Uk Breakaways you don't get what you pay for”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

In May 2013 we booked with this company for "The Best of Ireland Tour" well it should have been called best of Ireland's Motorways because this was all we saw except for when it was our drivers day off & a local company used the holiday cost £470 each and when I went through proper channels to complain got no reply after allowing 28 days, so I asked the question on their facebook page if they did not reply to letters of complaint got an instant reply to this to be told to put any complaint to their customer service section so I E Mailed a copy of my original letter & no surprise no reply after yet another 28 days. After yet another reminder on facebook I got a EMail from them saying they were waiting for a reply from the coach company eventually approx 4 months after our holiday we received a voucher for £20 each as compensation but never found the outcome from the coach company. Well to make use of this voucher we decided to book with their sub company UK Breakaways where you drive yourself & they just book you into the hotel we chose the Savoy in Blackpool. 4 days before we left we received a letter from them saying due to overbooking of the hotel our hotel had been changed to the Norbreck Castle, I rang and asked if there was any alternative as it was a Hotel I would never chose to be told No so we decided to give it a try well what a mistake disabled room miles from the lift (yes managed to get this changed) then we were told meals were 7.30 to 8.30 Breakfast then 7.30 for dinner but when we got in there we were herded like cattle to the tables allocated for the coach companies, don't forget we had driven ourselves, and then told we couldn't have a table for 2 & if we required this we would have to go back out and wait in queue till this was possible well at 9pm this queue was still massive and it was too late for us to eat. the hotel had either 3 or 4 coaches in and was full to capacity. We would like any one thinking of using Travelstyle or any in their group of companies to not bother we feel like we have thrown good money after bad giving them a second chance they don't care as soon as you have paid how you are treated.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
60 Thank lyn1646

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Polish first
Chatham Kent
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Had trouble with paying for the booking - yet to receive a reply but when I got there obvious staff had been told I had complained about the rudeness of thier colleagues. key wouldnt work - sent back to room twice to try it before they came and opened it with another key. room was very warm. floor had fluff, all over it and under divan bed a piece of something that looked like tissue. bathroom, small hair in shower stand, screen filthy, sink was ok. WC pan had black lines in it and no way to clean it.. corridors were shabby but it was end of season but they had not been hoovered or hoovered properly. the bar area was disgraceful and dirty. the dining room was smelly and dirty, there was a soup urn that had been covered in cling film - even that was greasy and dirty. The only saving grace was that the breakfast was edible. I hoped our room was a one off sadly it was not our friends room was the same as ours and the view from room 93 was onto a roof, covered in pools of water and rubbish and loads of big pipes. The hotel is sprawling and the walk to the main entrance was through a series of narrow corridors, not for the claustrophobic , weak of limb or breath. The entertainment on the 16th November was Christmas songs and again that left a lot to be desired. The room was £110 for the two nights so it wasnt cheap. The hotel is a long way from the pleasure beach but near a tram stop. The lights were turned off around the 10th November and the Pleasure beach was shut so we had hoped the entertainment might be worth while. I was here 6 years ago - it has changed so much and when I remarked on that to the receptionist she said they were not in charge of the budget but had to agree when I said soap was not expensive and a good clean would make a difference to the whole place.

Room Tip: room 93 faces filth, room 92 faces a car park
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
15 Thank DawnieKC

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

West Midlands
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had no choice of hotels as we booked a dancing weekend break. Reading these reviews before went I didn't even tell my wife I had looked because most of them were bad. But my experiences were- You get what you pay for - room 109 had been recently repainted and was small but adequate and clean - the bed was fine - the meals were ok in quality - the restaurant was not somewhere you'd linger or go for a romantic meal, but with the numbers they cater for it's ok - the ballroom was excellent, long may it continue - location is 2.5 miles from the Tower, so travelling in can be expensive. Bar prices were not unreasonable but a cup of tea @ £2.25 is steep.

4 Thank nekesm
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

was a bit concerned when the local bus driver wished me luck when he dropped us of, on arrival we entered a tired dated reception, told to go away as we were to early and come back in two hours when we got in our room it was freezing as the radiator did not work. window catch was broken so it didn't close ,could have had a conversation through the paper thin walls with the people next door, the breakfast was just about bearable as was lunch but the worst was the toilets just of the reception area they were minging no cleaning was done here the three days I stayed here. urine was leaking all over the floor and as you opened the door the smell knocked you out; the staff looked totally fed up and not once did we see any sort of management. will not use this hotel again

8 Thank Anne P
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Just back from a weekend break with my wife which we booked through super breaks . We were apprehensive after reading all the negative reviews and said we would go with an open mind and for what we paid for the weekend we were surprised ! Yes most of the reviews are true but you could spend all your weekend taking photos and looking for bad things !!!! - so lets tell you about the good things- arrived 5.30ish Friday - no queue and greeted by a friendly receptionist who told us everything we needed to know. Our room was on the wing on the 2nd floor a family room with a belting see view (not bad to say We booked a double) the one thing the wife was worried about was a clean room and that it was - clean sheets , towels , shower powerful , toilet rolls etc we even got our towels changed and beds made after breakfast on the Saturday !!! The dining room was big and there was a queue to be seated but only 5 min max - the food was good / plenty of it and the staff great . You have to book a time for your evening meal!! The bar latched on to the hotel ( copperhead jacks ) Had happy hour till 7pm £2.20 a pint . The only complaint we had was the nightly entertainment - prize bingo was great and well run by the 2 girls that organise it but after that was the same faces both nights singing !! and not enough seats for everyone to see !! All in all a very enjoyable weekend it's not 5 star or even 4 star but then again for what we paid was well worth the money !!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Anthony P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Myself and my husband have just returned from a weekend here and really enjoyed it,although it was a 2 star rating we were treated like 5 star,the breakfast and dinner was also amazing,very fresh. The bedroom we were in was comfortable and very clean,the caberet evening was not the best but it was ok,i cant believe the bad reviews on here if u want 5 star go to a five star hotel,this is 2 star and was more than adequate for a 2 star,also the tram is straight across from the hotel.....thankyou norbreck wee will be back.

Room Tip: We were in room number 825 the view wasnt good with just a view of a wall,i suggest upgrading to a s...
Hebburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel through an agent and requested a disabled room as I am in a wheelchair and need an accessible room. The Agent requested this with the hotel and duly received confirmation of the booking and presumably confirmation of a accessible room. What hotel would accept a booking for a wheelchair user if they did not have a room to accommodate. Yep you guessed it the Norbreck Castle Hotel. Upon arrival we joined a large line of people awaiting check in when it was our turn we were allocated a room on the fourth floor I thought this strange for a disabled room usually on ground or first floor. Upon arrival via a very small slow and cramped lift to a rather tatty corridor we got to our room. We arrived but unfortunately, it was a standard room and my wheelchair did not fit through the door never mind the room. I sat outside the room in my wheelchair until my partner went down to sort the problem and get our correct accessible room,However, the hotel was full and no accessible room until Sunday night so we could stay at the hotel. We have complained to the agent and had the cost of the holiday refunded apart form the £150 worth of fuel wasted on the trip to Blackpool and back on the same day not to mention the loss of our break. However, the Norbreck castle and Britannia Hotels continue to ignore complaints. I don't think I could have felt worse at the treatment received at a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple