“avoid at all costs”

Norbreck Castle Hotel
Ranked #69 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 18 February 2014

we tried a family break here in feb 14, we did not stay we checked out...the room was basic and badly in need of an update the room was tiny..the food was worse than any school dinner I could ever imagine..when walking about the hotel you stuck to the carpets , the chairs were dirty .
I was surrounded by 4 coach loads of people,the people stood around swearing , hen parties , def not family entertainment

Room Tip: Pick another hotel I have never walked out of a hotel but this was terrible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,170)

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Checked in tonight I thought good service was a thing of the past, certainly not tonight as was served by Debbie,she was very welcoming, helpful, very patient nothing was a problem, checking in was a pleasure

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We would happily stay over and over again the rooms are clean and your staff are friendly the food was good the only comment we have is the swimming prices need to be advertised on arrival your parking facility was fantastic where as other hotels dont provide this kind of service

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here many times. OK for me as its cheap and chearfull. I always tell people that I would never recommend the hotel. Visiting this week I am really annoyed that they have introduced a £4per day charge for using the leisure complex which is the only reason for me to stay here. I don't think. Will be back because of this new charge.there are lots of hotels in Blackpool crying out for business. I think this is the only one in town barging for the pool.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank philip m
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel on a National Holidays Gala Weekend. Had requested a quiet room not near a fire exit or machine room with a front facing view if possible. On arrival was allocated a double room with one side of the bed pushed up against the wall that had the corridor on the opposite side & was directly adjacent to the lift; one window looked directly out to a concrete wall - hardly accommodating the request I had made. It was obvious the heating in the room wasn't working as a portable oil-filled radiator had been left in the room & also the telephone did not work so no communication with Reception was possible; the trek down to reception was a fair way to ask for room re-allocation! We were told that 16 coaches were expected that weekend and the whole process seemed like a production line with no personal touches. Eventually, after joining the long queue in Reception with other disgruntled guests, we were allocated a family room on the top floor which was much nicer than the first and had 5 windows all overlooking the front, both the room and bathroom were spacious. Mealtimes were also like a production line which I suppose was understandable with so many guests staying there, however there was one particular female waitress who was most rude when my partner requested a jug of water without ice; who wants ice in their water during winter? She stated that it was how it was made up in the kitchen and no special request could be accommodated for water without ice; later she was seen relaying the conversation to another waiter and clearly giving hand signals that my partner was crazy for requesting such a thing - the waiter was heard to tell her to just do as had been asked but no she had to make an issue of it - at such times I question who is ultimately responsible for paying their wages and what customer service skills are they trained in. I realise that all guests are not easily accommodated and some can be downright rude towards staff but this wasn't the case with our request. The first evenings entertainment had an Abba tribute group & bingo session. Only one bar was open in the whole hotel and it took an hour queuing to get a drink; many people were complaining of the ridiculous situation - it was no good giving free drink vouchers if it was impossible to obtain a drink - at the end of the holiday we had 10 free drink vouchers remaining - unused! People could be heard complaining to management at having paid in excess of £20 for bingo tickets and then missing the games due to being in the queue for drinks - one guest was threatening to go on the stage and use the PA system to voice his complaint, to which the manager told him he would be escorted from the premises if he did! We didn't attend the 2nd night's entertainment but noticed that another bar had been left open longer for people to obtain drinks from. The excursion to Liverpool was ok. The hotel is in need of refurbishment badly - you get what you pay for I guess. The Blackpool transport system is good and trams & buses are regular outside the hotel - the tram being the smoother option of the two. The hotel has the potential to be better - it is no excuse that because it is a large hotel and caters mainly for coach parties that the standard is not so good; I have stayed at larger hotels abroad which are run more efficiently and of better standard. I would not return to the Norbreck - it was an experience I would prefer not to repeat - the hotel is jaded and in need of refurbishment and should be an on-going project when guests are paying for a standard - Premier Inn & Travelodge are the better option I hate to say.

Room Tip: On the beach would be better!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smartiedj
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Group line-dance weekend organised by Kingsland. I had read the reviews and was rather worried. I was in a single executive bedroom on third floor (room 370) which had a sea view. The room was small but perfectly adequate for the price paid. Very clean and white towels and bed linen changed daily. Lovely hot shower and bath. It was very windy outside so was quite noisy, but it was freak weather. We had to use the ballroom for the dancing as the norcolympia function venue had flooded because of the severe weather, which I think was a blessing is disguise as the Ballroom was very warm and just the right size for 200 keen dancers. The food was excellent and buffet style, good quality and there was plenty of it. The reception staff were very pleasant, sadly not the same could be said for the Bar staff who seemed unable to raise a smile all weekend. The public areas in the main hotel were cold, but again we had a private function in the ballroom so were lucky.

To sum up a budget hotel, food very good, most of the staff very helpful, so I would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: I found room 370 to be okay, not posh, but you get what you pay for. It was warm, clean and comforta...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned from the Norbreck with my hubby for valentines weekend we stayed there on the Saturday night, I don't know what the entertainment was like as we got a tram into town which cost £2 each way per person tram stop is outside hotel, we had a drink in the bar and the bar staff were very friendly but the whole bar/entertainment and reception area was freezing cold we had to keep our coats on like everyone else not really acceptable when your sat inside. We asked for a refurbished room and were given one on the 5th floor it looked like the walls had been recently decorated but the furniture and tv were old, the beds were clean and comfy and the bathroom was decent and clean, the walls were really thin and could hear voices and tv etc from next door. Our evening meal was disappointing not much choice at all only roast potatoes with carrots and brocolli to go with either turkey,salmon or casserole then choice of cake for desert also had dishes left on our table that hadn't been cleared, for breakfast there was a big queue for a start then we had to wait for it food too be refilled it was really busy and crowded, would not recommend..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple