“bank holiday stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“bank holiday stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

very very busy but the staff were great. bar service was quick and the entertainment was pretty good.
the room was clean and the bathroom and power shower were fine.
but the room was roasting and i was told they could not turn the heating off.
it was impossible to sleep it was that hot.
breakfast was buffet style and fine.
but i wouldnt really want to stay more than a couple of nights here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Polish first
Leigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Firstly, I booked this hotel because of the games room, pool table, pool & spa, for me and my partner to have a relaxing evening away from home. We arrived at 5pm due to traffic on Bank Holiday weekend and were informed we were too late for last entry to the pool (despite the fact I'd rung the day before to enquire about the cost of facilities, nobody thought to tell me last admittance was 5pm!) But were assured we could use the facilites the next day. Regardless, that then left us at a loose end. Not to worry I thought, there are two bars and a games room.., We had a look around in the ''copper face jacks'' bar, at least I thought thats where we was because several letters were missing and in there (a dark, dismal place as it is) we found the pool table out of order and to add insult to injury, in the games room there were only a handful of machines working (literally there were more machines out of order than there were working ones) so we decided to go into Blackpool for a few hours which wasn't the plan because I'd wanted to relax with my partner in hotel hence choosing one so far out. We set off back in time for the ''cabaret'', looking forward to at least a night of entertainment... Only for the entertainer to inform us at 10.38pm that was it for the night.

So we went to bed. The next morning we got up and had breakfast which was reasonable, nothing to complain about with breakfast, except that they could probably use more staff on busy days as most the tables were a state and cutlrey low etc and everyone was already busy.
We then checked out and headed for the pool... Only to arrive and find we needed a card key (another thing staff neglected to mention on any of the three occassions I spoke to them about our plans) but the receptionist was helpful and gave us a card to use. Once in the pool we werent particularly impressed it wasnt that big, it was pretty shallow and half way through our swim they partitioned off half the pool for some kind of aqua jazzercise. Not relaxing one bit for us. Plus along the edge of the pool was a thin green fuzzy growth and in the hot tub, (which was on a timer to stop and give you relief) when the jets stopped you could see loads of filth and scum at the bottom of the pool. It was disgusting. The childrens 'splash pool' was barely worth a second glance and it was also out of order too. I'm soooo glad I did not bring my child with us!!

The pool & hot tub werent the only disgusting things either, the shower door was thick with mould and mildew. The shower was tiny, or at least the doors were. I can't imagine a pregnant woman, or a bigger person size 20+ even squeezing into it. The doors open on the corner. When I booked the room on booking.com it did also say that we'd get a bath but I didn't feel it was worth moving rooms just for one night and I was scared we'd end up with worse. The bathroom was so small the sink was in the room, in fact, the room was fairly tiny for a hotel of it's size we were surprised. All the floors squeaked. One of the staircases were practically slanted.

All in all, I paid £59 for a hotel far out of Blackpool thinking we'd be getting a relaxing evening and not need to travel out, we were spolit for choice, with many cheaper hotels and b&bs closer to the attractions but chose this for it's facilities ... practically none of which were even available.

I would not bother.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Visited this hotel for.Bank Holiday weekend and the only word to describe the hotel was "disgusting" I wouldn't put a dog in it. The entrance to the Hotel set the scene when I saw the steps in to the entrance covered in bird droppings and cigarette ends. The revolving door into the reception was filthy and the glass had never seen glass cleaner or polish. The carpets throughout the entire hotel were filthy and some were even threadbare. Dining room was filthy also. Carpet in there was also filthy. Tables we ate at were filthy, cutlery, etc the same . Wouldn't dream of using the pool. The whole weekend I covered the pillows with my own hand towel and lay on top of the bed with my own bath sheet on top. Couldn't bring myself to go under the covers. Britannia group of hotels should hang their head in shame . I will be contacting Brittania's head office to complain. This hotel should be demolished

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank aileen m
Accrington, Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

After reading the reviews I was worried about staying at this hotel so I phoned the hotel direct to specifically ask for a "decent" room. Was told they would sort the room. When we booked in, we were given room 251. As soon as we opened the door the stench of sewerage hit us. Absolutely disgusting. I immediately phoned reception and when I told her she didn't sound surprised and told us to go down to reception. We were then allocated room 186. Room smelt of paint which was an improvement but the rooms are tatty and dated. The whole hotel needs a major refurbishment. Torn bedding, cracked sink, grimy toilet and ripped towels. Not good at all. The window was screwed shut (in case you decided to jump no doubt). The staff were OK and the food was fine (in our opinion). If you are just looking for a place to put your head down then its just about OK but if you are after a decent hotel then save your money and book elsewhere. Its a real shame because it could be a really fantastic hotel. Shame the company won't spend money refurbishing it.

Room Tip: Don't bother as there aren't any decent rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mandyjenk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel on the may bank holiday
It was was very busy and consideration
the size of this hotel the staff were amazing always dressed in black and white and the men all wore ties none of the staff were unprofessional even at half 7 in the
morning
The room was clean and tidy the room may have old furniture but i belive it to suit the hotel and the sea veiw was amazing.They are making improvements all the time but understandable it will take time due to the
size of it
I dont understand all the bad reviews as it buffet breakfast and dinner all the food was fantastic

Thank you so much to all the staff at Norbreck
You all do a fantastic job
Sheila and Lou

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to start, unhelpful staff in the swimming pool,life guard too busy chatting to lad on reception. No WiFi,no sky,pool table out of order. Tables and chairs removed in reception for jewellery stall. The room was thick with dust. That's before I start with the meals. My husband and 11 year old daughter definitely won't be returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Wigan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Worst hotel we have ever stayed in costumer service is awful all they want is your money they are not bothered about anything else !! The amount they charge for a room is ridiculous you do not get what you pay for ! If you complain about anything they dismiss it and try get the manager involved who as no clue what so ever and he try's to fob u off do not stay in this hotel you are better of staying In a 20 quid bnb you will be treated better !!!

• Stayed May 2014