“It surprised me”

Ranked #67 of 69 Hotels in Blackpool
Salford, United Kingdom
“It surprised me”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have to start by saying, this hotel was a lot furthr out from the main Blackpool than I thought. But, I must say, for this one night it was ideal. It was in a quieter location and no nusance about. The extra mile was worth it.
Upon arrival, it took a little while to get booked in, but it was very busy. Staff were very explanitory about where rooms were located. We made it to our room and we were only on a standard double room, so we did not expect too much. Unfortuately this proved to be true. The room was small, but, like I say this was a cheap booking we had. I could hav ecoped with the room, the only let down for me ws the window. Unfortunately I am a woman going through a particular time of life and I need the good old cold air (sod the husband). But this room had a very small window. It was like a bathroom window and it opened slightly into a gulley not into the air. So, knowing that i would be swimming in my own sweat if I stayed in here, i went to reception. I asked reception if they had a fan for the night or another room and explained my situation. The young girl said please stay here while I check. She returne dwithi a minute with a key for another room and said we could go look at it before we took it. It was on the 5th floor, but I was willing to take a chance the room would be more sutiable. It was. It was a family room and had 3 opening windows plus an extra one in the bathroom. This was more like it. so I would like to say thank you Norbreck for accomodating me when you did not have to. Thank you. We were a little worried about meal times, with the hotel being so big, we thought there would be ques, delays etc. But, I have to say, they have it all worked out to a tee. They knew what they were doing and all was good. The only negative I have to say is, the hotel is looking old and dreary in places, a lot of room not used. Maybe creat some child playing areas in the rooms/corridors that are redundant?. But most of all, can you please try and fit a few more lifts.
Thanks for a great weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,507)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked in this hotel for the 'castle' gimmick and the fact I believed it to be 4 star..
Upon arrival we pulled in to the back car park and the first words out of my mother's mouth was "is it too late to go home?" There was litter everywhere, a mattress graveyard in sight (which made me wonder about the death rate) the whole hotel looks like it needs a paint job, it was terrifying under a moody grey sky, rust stained and intimidating.
Inside it was like stepping back in time thirty years, I'm sure it WAS cleaner than it looked.
Rooms DEFINITELY in need of refurbing and modernising, although the room key (cards) worked like a charm first time every time (there's nothing more annoying than being locked out of your room cos the card calls the shots and you can't even get it (small mercy)) The teas and coffees were replenished each morning although I'm not sure what 'sprayed coffee powder' is....
The facilities are probably the best thing about the hotel; pool, sauna, steam room, sun bed, gym etc (the gym was a bit mish-mash I'm not sure why people pay membership fee for it, but it was alright for a one-off, good mix of cardio and weights if you can work the machines...)
There was some kind of pill underneath the BROKEN bedside table, good job I didn't have a toddler with me- I still don't know what medicine it was! (google tells me it is an anti-depressant. If only I knew that at the time!)
The hallway to the room resembled something from The Shining and the whole hotel was basically The Overlook, had to check the bathtub first of all...
It was an alright experience all in all but I wouldn't have been bragging so much about staying in a castle if I knew then what I do now.
Bar area was alright, prices weren't too bad.

Room Tip: Expect all views to be terrible.... sea view is probably better than having a corrugated wall two fo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kirstdashian
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

After reading many reviews on here I was bit worried about staying at The Norbreck I was previously booked into The Metropole but they had over booked so was moved to The Norbreck My only concern was how far it was out of Blackpool but they offered to pay for a taxi into Blackpool and back as many times as I wanted So couldn't complain Yes its not a five star hotel but then ur not paying five star prices Booked a single room but was given a twin room with sea view So good start.Room had all u need And was not run down like some peoples pictures Very friendly and helpful staff from when I checked in to checking out Dinner and Breakfast was all help urself Plenty of it and hot Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely book here again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Attended the Blackpool Armed Forces Gala Dinner at the Norbreck in the Norcolympia Function room. The staff were great and very efficient, the food was served quickly and hot and most importantly tasty. There was a price difference between the front bar and the function room bar with the function room bar being 30% cheaper.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Filthy,not tired comatised,below average food and staff,seaview overlooked stagnent pond and derelict garage,too many problems to mention,only plus is beautiful walk along the coast across the road,suggest anyone staying there take the walk and walk as far away as you can from the place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank andybaron

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Dalbeattie
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The last time I stayed in this hotel remains a bad memory. I remember getting screamed at by one of the staff members for being in the swimming pool and we made a complaint about how rude the staff where and the bedrooms weren't much better . But this could be a really nice hotel in a good location .

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Allycat13
Reviewed 23 June 2014

booked in for two nights, but only stayed one. Got put in a tiny end room on 5th floor, fire escape directly outside window( what a view ). Opened the window to let in air and it half fell out of its frame, had to get my partner to lift it so we could close it again. Room was less than basic, freezing cold as the heating was broke. spent first night shivvering. Asked for extra blanket, promised one but it never arrived. phoned desk twice for a heater and kept getting fobbed off. kids running riot everywhere, screaming shouting and knocking everything over. Rude staff.... could keep going on and on. Needless to say.. one night was enough and went home early. Never Ever stay there again.......... A total nightmare........

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple