“Friday night break?”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Frodsham, United Kingdom
“Friday night break?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

We had a spare night to oursleves so we decided to take a break to Blackpool (not sure why) and book into the Hilton...the reasons, decent hotel chain, comfy rooms, leisure club etc.. The hotel is past the North shore, nothing else around, just B&B's. Check in was fine, stayed on 4th floor, ok room, not brilliantly clean, furniture scuffed and a bit dated. Had some food in the bar, food was good, other guests not really so, loads of blokes on stag parties/birthdays etc, a bit leary and drinking hard until about 9.30 then probably off to Weatherspoons or similar for beers, kebabs and late taxi's...anyway, you cant choose your fellow guests so we had a drink or 3 in the bar (lounge singer, Dean Martin style) and then decided to go to our room for a drink. Beds in the double room were 6ft wide, so good and comfy but room well dated. Sea View was good so all in all, room not too bad. At 3.10am one of our neighbouring room guests returned from a good night on the town, happy that they enjoyed themselves, not so happy that the walls are so thin that you could hear everything! At 7am our neighbours the other side woke and had a good old chat about life (again, paper thin walls mean you can virtually join in the conversation)....Got up 8.30am, buffet breakfast very good, then decided to have a swim in the pool...until we got down there and saw the 20ft by 8ft pool, not really looking very 'Leisure like'. We didn't go into the pool, it looked very down trodden and in need of a boost!...we had booked a 1pm check out but left at 11am! If you HAVE to go to Blackpool, i'm not really sure what you expect? If its a good international chain hotel, dont visit the Hilton, if you are on a stag weekend or are not bothered about 2 star accomodation, stay anywhere.....i would think its all much of a muchness and you can stay in a sub standard hotel for much less! My choice would be visit Manchester and have fun in a much better place!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

WOW!! I Don' know where to began. When we arrived at the hotel the staff were so lovely and very helpful checking us in. They wished us a happy stay and we were off to our room, 3 lifts so not waiting around! The hallways were also spotless clean. We arrived to out hotel room and greeted with a free bottle of wine gift wrapped and a box of Hilton hotel chocolates as we had come to celebrate my partners birthday. It was absolutely lovely and made us feel valued as a customer. The room was prepared ready for our stay by Agnes as she left us a note on our bed with a pillow and sheet menu an our free bottle of water! The bathroom was sparkling clean with so many toiletries it was great. We left the hotel and when we returned housekeeping had dropped off our bathrobes and slippers which just makes you feel at home. The beds were so comfy I was super hard to wake for breakfast. I'm so glad I dragged myself up as I've never had such a lovely breakfast. So much to pick from. and the waiters at hand to help you with everything. There were full English breakfasts, as well as freshly made pancakes and fruit. also having the continental breakfast at hand too. The staff kept hold of our bags all day for us while we checked out and enjoyed our last few hours in Blackpool. They ordered us a taxi on a journey home. They over exceeded in customer service at this hotel, the rooms were fantastic and i cannot wait to return. The manager should be proud!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Just after we entered the room, I sat on the armchair and looked at the dust under the TV. It was so thick that I was able to write in it. On getting the tea tray out of the cupboard, I found that the previous occupant had splashed tea over the kettle, which had not been cleaned off. The carpet had not been vacuumed properly and the toilet had not been completely cleaned. There was a dirty mark on the quilt cover and two dried in brown stains on one of the towels. This is not what I expect from a hotel with the Hilton name.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

I liked the Hilton Blackpool. The hotel rooms are clean and if you ever stayed in other Blackpool hotels spacious on comparison. We had a twin Family room. I took my mum and my two small children for a short break. We paid in advance for our room and went for bed dinner and breakfast.

My mum is vegetarian, my sons are 5 years old and 18 months and we found that there was something for everyone at breakfast and dinner. The waiting staff and chef's were very friendly towards us (even though we were probably the nosiest and messy customers - 18 month baby sometimes makes a mess eating himself). The chef even came out to us to help my mum choose something veggie and freshly cooked it for us. The buffet style meals suited us and the carvery option was lovely. Children usually have there own buffet but one night were cooked on request (I guess there were no other children in the hotel that night).

We visited Blackpool Zoo and the Blackpool Tower (probably the best two attractions for young kids - we found the pleasure beach to be too old for our two and not worth the money). The hotel is 30min walk north of the tower but we did not mind the walk along the promenade. Frequent buses and trams were available, plus it was nice not to be too near all the nightlife of blackpool.
We also used the hotel's pool 3 times. The kids loved it was one of the features that attracted me to stay at the hotel. The spa yes is a little dated but adequate and again the staff was very friendly.

The reception staff and duty manager were again friendly and very helpful, whatever the queries. One night my son was a little unwell and I needed to try and find a 24hour chemist. And I had a disaster with losing my keys (long story) but the duty manager was very helpful and patient with me. They let us stay in our room on departure day until we were able to leave at 6pm at night after I had my spare keys couriered to me from Aberdeen!!!!

We were very lucky to being staying on the 3rd May on which day we saw David Cameron (yes the Prime Minister). He had an interview outside the hotel on the promenade. He waved to my son as we walked by.

Our time in Blackpool was very eventful and we will definately be returning to hilton blackpool because of the service we received.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Leeds UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

We were attending a dinner at the hotel and were booked in for one night. £100 for B&B is not cheap but the experience wasn't worth £1.

First we were given a twin room so having booked a double we were moved to a nearby room on the 7th floor. Then someone knocked on our door; he had been given the same room as us!
The room was small, very very dusty, wardrobe door hanging off it's runner, shower with no power whatever. I complained and the room was cleaned whilst we were at the dinner. The room was still not clean with caked on dirt in places, staining on the bed vallance and dust in the wardrobe such that my clothes came out of the wardrobe dirtier than when they went in.

Breakfast was poor. Curled up cheese, undrinkable tea, brought ready made so no chance of brewing it yourself, and fried eggs so cold you wondered how they could get so cold in a heated tray!

All in all it was absolute rubbish and an embarassment to the Hilton name.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank debrart
PA_HiltonBlackpool, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Blackpool Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Please accept our sincere apologies you did not enjoy your stay and we did not meet your expectations. I have taken on board your comments regarding the room and would further apologise for this lapse in our usual high standards. I can offer no excuse that the room had not been serviced properly. Please rest assured that statff training is an ongoing process in the hotel in order that we deliver the Hilton Standard to our guests at all times and this has clearly not happened on this occasion. Rooms are refurbished on a rotating basis according to business levels in the hotel. I am sorry the room you occupied was not one of our newly refurbished rooms. I have also taken on board your comments regarding the Hilton Breakfast and passed this onto chef. I am sorry the eggs were cold. We serve an average of 500 breakfasts per day over a weekend with very little complaint. Chef would always be pleased to cook these to order for you. I am so sorry we let you down on this occasion, and hope in the future we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hotel.
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

We've been renting cottages for years and finally got fed up with the owners' old furniture and TVs with four channels (if you're lucky) not to mention unjustified price hikes. Decided to try hotels this year and picked this one as I stay here on business. A little apprehensive to say the least. I shouldn't have been... this really was very, very good. We had a suite which was not only, huge but well equipped and spoltlessly clean. The room was serviced twice a day. The staff were professional but friendly and the whole experience was very enjoyable. The quality of the food was very good. I'd say they use top class ingredients and considering the numbers they cater for the chiefs do an excellent job. If you're having dinner, it's worth asking for a table at the top - for some reason they are the only tables with linen tablecloths - it makes all the difference. We enjoyed it and, yes, we will go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrJC
Thank you for taking the time to complete your comments on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to see you had a wonderful stay and will return at a future date. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when everything possible will be done for you to enjoy the Hilton experience.
Cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2010

I stayed here thankfully for 1 night only in April. It really must be one of the worse Hiltons in their group! Obviously trading on the brand but the hotel needs a complete makeover. Staff are ok but are visibily stressed from dealing with complaints and handle them at ease (almost like its an everyday occuance to them!)
Our first room was on the 7th floor and obviously hadn't been refurbed since the place was built. The wall mounted hairdyer wouldn't go back up on the wall in the bathroom and we had to room move as they couldn' turn it off without turning off all the electrics in the bathroom! Second room was only better as had new carpet, but the rest of the room, including the bathroom was ancient! Don't know if this is what they call a refurb but it certainly isn't what I would call it. Had dinner in the restaurant, which has actually very nice decor but food choice poor for my partner is vegetarian. Availed of leisure facilities but found them rather tired - just like the rest of the hotel! Its a real shame because its the only real branded hotel in Blackpool and we always use top rate 3 star / 4 stars when we go away and thought the name would be enough - how wrong we were...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple