The Gynway
Lyndene Hotel(Blackpool)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$36
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Blackpool South Shore(Blackpool)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$57
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsmy partnermany thankslyndahiltonhostsbeddingtram
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Gynway is a clean and pleasant enough little guesthouse/B&B not far from the tower in Blackpool. The family room we were offered was very spacious, very reasonably priced and tidy with clean bed linen on all the beds. This room seemed ideal for us as we were staying with our two beloved dogs in tow. However the room despite having it’s own wash basin wasn’t fully en-suite which meant sharing both separate showering facilities and a toilet with other guests and isn’t ideal if like me you like your own space when staying away from home.
Breakfast was included in the price and downstairs there was a lounge with a bar none of which I sampled, as this is where my review of The Gynway ends as unfortunately after checking in and agreeing to take the room I realised we had made a mistake in choosing to stay at this particular guesthouse.
So after a planned walk down Blackpool seafront whilst discussing the matter with my wife we returned, made our excuses and checked out opting to look for alternative accommodation elsewhere.
This decision should not be seen as a personal judgement or prejudicial in anyway towards the owners who are very friendly, their premises or their hospitality. Put simply upon reflection we had decided this guesthouse wasn’t for us and there was little point in staying somewhere despite paying up front for that we didn’t feel comfortable in. Under these circumstances a refund was not asked for or expected from the owners, as it was entirely our own decision to leave early.
I strongly advise anyone thinking of staying at The Gynway who hasn’t been before to research the guesthouse on the Internet first before booking.

Room Tip: Research the place you will be staying before booking.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Benzade
Petra C, Owner at The Gynway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

I was little surprised to read this as this nice couple had booked in saying how nice the room was and, they settled their account and then went for a walk. Upon their return I went upstairs to offer them a room change, [due to a no show] in fact the room next to theirs, this being a larger room complete with own shower room, but was told they have received call and had to go home.
Was a shame really because as it turned out there was only this couple staying, and had the choice of 3 showers and 3 toilets.
I hope one day this couple might perhaps return and spend a night here as we are putting showers in all rooms over time....

Further to this our home page on our web-site does still state...

"Here you will be assured of a friendly welcome and a relaxing stay.
The Gynway has six bedrooms offering family, double and single bedrooms all of which are standard at this time"

We have at this time installed showers in 2 of our rooms
[Unfortunately sites such as iknow UK do not have links to subscribers web-sites]

Many thanks for reading this

Reviewed 10 April 2013

10/04/2013

Lynda and Petra are very friendly and make you feel welcome. There have been some changes since I first stayed at the Gynway This time I stayed in room 4 and I'm 5'8” and the window sill was just above waist height so I did not feel close in at all. The room had flat screen TV with built in digital free view and tea / coffee making facility.

The room was not en-suite but that is reflected in a very releasable price. However there was a sink in my room so I did not need to go fare to wash and clean my teeth. Towels and complementary cute little soap were provided so no need to pack a towel leaving room for more shoes. :)

I have noticed regular changes and improvements since I first stayed at the Gynway a couple of years ago, this shows that maintenance is regular not neglected.

The bar is very nice space for a chat and getting to meet other guests over a glass or two. Or more if you want a quiet night in away from the hustle and bustle of the Blackpool's pubs and clubs.

Breakfast is cooked to order and always nice. I have never had a hard fried egg at The Gynway which is more than I can say for all the posh hotels boasting a varying numbers of stars I have stayed at.

Well situated for the sea front and trams and is walking distance from the shops and Blackpool tower.

A very nice clean happy B&B, what more do you need for a sea side break. :)

Alex

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AlexTheSillyOne
Petra C, Owner at The Gynway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Many thanks for your recent review.... we do take notice of these reviews and are glad you enjoyed your stays here at The gynway

Reviewed 18 March 2013

me and my partner stayed at the gynway for 2nights/3days on arrival both lynda and petra were very welcoming chatty and friendly.first and foremost our room was superb we were treat like family all the time the cooked breakfast the next morning was delicious we spent an eveing in the egyptian themed bar and again neither mysely or my partner have any complaints the hotel is in a great location a stone throw from beach and a 5 minute walk from north train station we took are dog with us and it is an ideal place to stay and relax. it was our first time there but it will not be our last..thankyou petra & lynda

Room Tip: the family room was superb and had a great view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Deanrichie
Petra C, Owner at The Gynway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Hi ,
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and many thanks for your review.

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here gore one night was not impressed was asked to pay when first got in didn't even see room. Was shown to the room straightway could smell smoke i don't smoke but my partner does but he went outside to smoke as we don't like smoking indoors the room was very drab needed new carpet ect.. Beds not very comfy not ensuit the shower i used needed cleaning. but as it was for one night we thought we could stick it out.price is cheap.

• Stayed: October 2012
Petra C, Owner at The Gynway, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

I too am a non-smoker and even when someone has smoked outside, when they walk upstairs they leave a smokey trail which lasts for some time...... If you had spoken to us at the time we would have probably been able to move you to another room.
We have at this time renewed 5 of the 6 rooms including carpets, but of course beds are a personal choice, some like soft and some prefer hard and you must understand it is very difficult to please everybody.

We have changed our pay up front policy, but if you have a problem with the rooms we would like to know so that we have a chance to resolve the situation, rather than read it here after you have left.

Thank you for reading.....

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Situated on main road, so some traffic noise if you are at the front. Access to hotel was with five very steep steps,not suitable for elderly or disabled. Greeted by the ladies who run the hotel, payment had to be made upfront, before seeing room.
Room 4 was up 3 flights of stairs and was situated in the attic.The window was that high up, I couldn't see out of it being 5'2'', this gave a very claustrophobic atmosphere. Very shabby room, bedding was all very faded as were the once pink towels, no bath towels.None of the furniture matched and the bedside tables were dirty and stained. Smoking allowed in all bedrooms, so strong smell of cigarettes all the time, not nice for non smokers.
Rooms not en suite, separate toilet and showers dated and tired, but reasonably clean.
Breakfast not so wonderful, cheapest ingredients, very greasy,very minimal. The weakest tea possible,cheapest quality.
All in all a very dated and old fashioned guest house, needing a lot of updating to compete with better quality rooms in Blackpool.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dentrav63
Petra C, Owner at The Gynway, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Some traffic noise is unavoidable as we are on a main road in a busy town even, with our double glazing, and yes we do have step up too front down, which can be seen clearly on our picture.
We do not though advertise ourselves as disabled friendly, as we also do not have any ground floor bedrooms rooms either.
As for the room, I think you are referring to our room 5 which has slightly higher windows being in a room that was part of the attic before being converted some years ago.
This is the first time we have had complaints about the window height, which without major construction work would be hard to alter.
The room has since been revamped including carpet and towels to match new decor [although the pink towels were actually that colour when purchased] The bedside cabinets did have small marks [caused by previous guests but have also been replaced.

Our breakfasts…
We purchase our bacon, eggs and sausages from a very reputable high quality butchers who also serve some of the larger hotel in the local area, the bacon and sausages are grilled and the eggs are fried in frying pan with a minimum of rapeseed oil. Plus you do have the choice from our menu [it is not a set meal]. Most of our guests find this an ample amount, and of you could have had asked for more.....
The tea we use come from The Garden Tea Company based in Preston and provide quality products.
Thank you for taking the time to read