“The Imperial Hotel - One of the best hotels we have stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #26 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The Imperial Hotel - One of the best hotels we have stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

We loved The Imperial Hotel.

The Staff are all pleasant. The reception area and hotel itself has a very welcoming, cosy effect (On check in the receptionist disappointingly failed to mentioned to us about the £70.00 tab they deduct from our card 'for holding' when they take a swipe of your card so be aware of this on arrival as we did not discover this until check out when we were informed of this holding amount taken).

But apart from this, the room was Sea-view as requested, on the 4th floor (If I remember correctly it was Room 412), it was very clean, tidy and cosy, we only stayed one night, it would have been nice to stayed longer but we was there mainly to see the band called 'The Overtones' at the Opera House Winter Gardens.

The room had a Nice Large Modern TV and large comfy bed, nice decor and carpets with Hair dryer, Iron and board, trouser press, kettle with tea, coffee, milk, sugar n all that and your typical supplies of boby washes, shampoos & Moisturising cream and towels.... walking round the hotel and looking out at the none sea-view areas can look a little gory but that's not the hotels fault. that's just shabby looking back streets for ya. so always request sea-view is the surrounding area is important to you.

We also took advantage of the leisure facilities whilst we were there, there is a Steam Room, Sauna, Swimming Pool and Hot Tub which is all clean and tidy, you also had the option to use the gym instead if you wanted. The massage service that we booked (On Offer) was a little disappointing, 20 minutes of someone rubbing oil into your skin rather than massaging the muscles (found this a little boring compared to previous massages I have had elsewhere) but the staff apart are all pleasant and smart.

Apart from the little hick ups mentioned above and like I said The Imperial Hotel Blackpool has to be the best hotel we have ever stopped at.

Food Menu looks a little expensive but I am sure you get what you pay for and that I assume would be Quality!

Thanks

Room Tip: Sea-view all the way if the surrounding area is important to you.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy K
blackpoolimperial_gm, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stayed at the Imperial in December for the work's Christmas party.
The hotel was very easy to find, with a good sized car park. The staff on reception were excellent, very helpful and quick to get me checked-in.
The room wasn't as large as some I've stayed in, it was compact though rather than small, it was clean and tidy and the facilities were excellent.
The bathroom was also compact, but again adequate for our needs. The shower had plenty of power, and there was lots of hot water! The tiles were a little broken, so a touch of maintenance wouldn't have gone amiss, but that didn't spoil the overall stay.
The double bed was a good size, and very comfortable - we slept soundly!
Breakfast was delicious - especially the sausages! - and ample.
The staff were all very friendly, all saying hello or good morning/evening.
A very pleasant stay, and a nice hotel with lots of history and character!

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view - you are right on the front, after all!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ShovelB
Prenton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Impressive facade and the reception and public areas with high ceilings, chandeliers, beautifully decorated are impressive now so I can imagine stepping back in time and you get the feel this hotel was 'special'.

Despite its impressive public areas once you get beyond the elevators you realise that every creak and groan of the floor boards is the building begging to have some TLC refurbishment and investment.

We were allocated a room on the fourth floor with an impressive view of the Tower, North Pier and the sea from a modestly sized window.The room (401) was large with a Kingsize and single bed in the room, usual tea and coffee making facilities and a decent size flat screen TV.

Our Bathroom was just off the bedroom down a very short corridor (all within the room) it was good/ok, the bath was relatively shallow with a shower over it, this was all fine for us in our mid 5ft's but as the slope of the roof was incorporated into the bathroom over the bath I suspect some of my taller friends would have struggled to enjoy a shower in it. The room was well equipped with plent of good quality bath towels.

Plenty of wardrobe/shelf space but all looked 'tired' included an open hole into the ceiling void?

I needed an Iron, although the room was equipped with an ironing board our iron was missing, I tried to call reception but the telephone was 'dead' i tried everything inc checking it was pluggd into the wall and then used my initiative to ring the switchboard from my mobile which, took an age to answer. When it finally was, I explained I was an in house guest and the phone was not working to which I was informed 'they knew'... It would have been a good idea to mention it on checking in...... Anyway, our Iron was with us instantly.

All staff we came in contact with were extremely polite, happy and most helpful.

Breakfast is served in an extremely grand setting, buffet style and plenty of food and drink, difficult/impossible to find fault in here, if you leave hungry after breakfast you really only have yourself to blame.

A slight 'niggle', guests are charged a nominal £3.50 (i think) parking charge yet with no barrier exit controls had you not been honest and declared you had a car you could avoid the fee, I kind of understand the charge but £3.50 is no deterent to casual parkers especially when no one is checking your exit! 'Newish owners' Puma would benefit more from goodwill by either abolishing the charge, installing a proper entry and exit barriers or issue tickets to be displayed issued at reception and fine, fine or clamp non-residents who abuse the facility. Rant over.

Would we stay again? Well i'd put it this way, it's not our most favourite or preferred hotel in Blackpool but it is extremely good value for money, comfortable and the staff are excellent all of which would encourage me to stay again, I just hope as and when I do that Puma have 'listened to this charming hotel's creaking floors begging for building investment/upgrade'

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms carry a premium but at least you see more than the back of the hotel with them.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. It is obvious that you enjoyed the olde world charm of the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

We have often seen The Imperial Hotel when on a day out to Blackpool, but never considered overnight stay until the opportunity to take advantage of a discount offer, so although we consider Blackpool fairly local, The Imperial seemed too good to miss. This is an imposing building, built in the grand old style of yesteryear's elegance. Overlooking the sea front, North of the North Pier, it is in a prime location just away from the main "kiss me quick" area of Blackpool. Lots of on- site parking "might be a charge" but not this weekend, so no issue taking bags/ cases to the door.
First impression - warm and welcoming with the obvious signs of quality. Bear in mind that this is an old building in need of continued maintenance and upgrades, so you might find faults if you look for them!.
The reception area is huge with lots of casual seating, and the staff are so welcoming and efficient, it makes you realise that all is not lost regarding service.
We are a family of three including an eight year old son and we were allocated a family room on the 4th floor. Taking the lift, and on exiting in the corridor The Imperial lost a little of its sparkle as the area looked a little tired and worn, however on entry to our room we had a sea view with double glazed safety windows - a must for family.
The room was large with both king bed and single bed, the bathroom was not large but clean, plenty of hot water and good shower. Hanging wardrobe with ironing and trouser press took me back in time when all hotels had a trouser press (perhaps Jeans have removed the need now). All facilities for tea making and good quality linen in addition to modern flat screen tv, and the whole room being clean made this a real pleasure to stay.
We went down to the pool and were greeted by a very friendly leisure assistant, who indicated all the facilities and provided towels etc. The pool area was very clean and warm and the hot spa made this a real relaxing evening.
Breakfast in the morning was as good as anywhere you could imagine (including The London Ritz) and the staff maintained the standard of service throughout the rest of the hotel. Food choices were excellent, hot or cold, and coffee or tea was served at the table.
All in all a hotel that is worth staying at again and again.
The only reason not to give 5 stars is those areas that are a little weary and worn.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheDesden
Nicholas T, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that the team looked after you well. It is plain to see that you appreciated the olde world charm of the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We really enjoyed our stay over at the Imperial at the weekend for a Christmas works event. The hotel itself has real character and reflects the era in which it was built beautifully. The staff friendly and welcoming. The food was excellent, good quality, served efficiently and the catering well organised with much variety on the menu. Although the accomodation -our room was fairly standard it was clean and comfortable. We would recoomend this hotel and hope to stay again in the near future. Thank you for making our stay and Christmas celebrations through work so enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kags222
Thank you for choosing to hold your Christmas function with us at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. I was delighted that the evening went well for you and you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

The first time we encountered this rather opulent hotel (for Blackpool) was a few weeks ago on a charity function, where we used their main function room, had a three course meal, some wine, and finished off the night in their 'No.10' bar. Everything went really well, so the Wife and I promised ourselves a stay here in the future.

The Imperial Hotel is toasty warm indeed however, Blackpool Promenade is Icelandic-style freezing cold in Winter, so make sure that you bring some warm layers for going outside.

Checking in was quick and efficient with a smile. All good. Chargeable car parking is always harsh in a hotel with its own car park in a Town not a City. However, at an extra £3.50 a day, it's not really a killer.

The bedroom was quite spacious and everything worked. The bed was fine for a good sleep. The room was too hot, we slept with the window open. Might be a problem if your window faces the sea (ours didn't) eg. either too hot or too cold. The bathroom products are nice, and the bathroom and shower all functioned correctly. Everything is very clean throughout.

Internet via wi-fi is present in the guest bedrooms, and it is free. Didn't really have time to use it much, but in my experience, this is ultra-important, as I am also a frequent business traveller.

Our room rate was £109 for a view of the back of the hotel, overlooking the bins, with some netting up over the window. It was expensive for what it was, but the hotel itself is a nice place to stay. The public areas look great, and the staff are courteous and helpful. The guests behave themselves properly here, which is always a bonus and perhaps worth spending the extra few quid on.

We had a couple of drinks (before and after our party at the Grosvenor Casino), in the No. 10 bar. Appropriately named because it has played host to numerous British Prime Ministers. The bar is lovely, the service cheerful, it's comfortable, welcoming, a really nice place to have a drink. It has Sky Sports and a few TVs too. We didn't try the restaurant, but I did overhear a good review of it, plus the food was good when we had our charity night here.

There is a spa and swimming pool downstairs but we didn't have time to use it. You can book treatments etc. Looked great.

Breakfast was a buffet affair. The bacon and the sausages were exceptionally nice, which actually kind of shocked me because buffet breakfasts are usually a lazy moneyspinning cop out. I went into sausage and bacon overdrive and thought I was going to be sick in the car on the way home I ate that much, but pig-headedly (oink) I wanted to eat through 25% of my room rate and car park charges in one hit :)

Would we stay here again? Yes, and I suspect that we probably will in the near future. I would be bartering for a better room rate next time and the room was a bit hot for me, but it might be OK for others, so there are no complaints really from us and we are quite picky. Heartily recommend...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments, and for once again choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team looked after you well. We look forwad to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager
LEICESTER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a room only deal, which cost just £136.00 for 2 people for 2 nights! I thought this was an excellent deal and we had a great stay. I have to say that the staff behind reception were fantastic from the time we checked in until the time we checked out. A very warm welcome from the young man that checked us in, through to the young lady that checked us out and wished us a safe journey home. In fact, all of the staff that we had any dealings with were professional and generally very friendly. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas, which made it feel so homely and traditional. This is a very old building, so guests need to appreciate that however much maintainence is carried out and there was some being done during our stay, their will always be parts of the hotel that are going to need attention. Floorboards will creak and the windows may rattle a little in that Blackpool wind, but hey, that is all part and parcel of staying in a building that is well over a 100 years old. if you want to have a clinical stay, the Premier Inn or Travelodge will suit. If you want to experience the feel of a bygone era, you will enjoy a stay at this lovely hotel. We will certainly return, but will keep an eye out for the deals that sometimes become available. Drinks and the meals are a little on the expensive side, but that is the norm for any 4 star hotel. However, we stayed room only and now that there are 2 Wetherspoons pubs within easy reach of the hotel, a quality full English breakfast can be purchased there for around £3.00 and both of these pubs have a 5 star Food Hygeine Rating which is always reassuring. If you want to eat out of an evening in Blackpool you must try Nunzios Itialian restaurant. This is a family run business and one that has been established for many years. We always head there for at least one meal when in the area and we have only ever receievd great food and service.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out over the road at the rear, but ours had a side sea view, which did not ca...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool, part of the Puma Hotels collection. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the olde world charm of the Hotel. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Nick Testa, General Manager