“Short but sweet”

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Short but sweet”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife and me stayed at the Imperial for a short business break from Friday 13 June 2014 until Sunday 15 June 2014. We had dinner bed and breakfast on the Friday and bed and breakfast on the Saturday.
The hotel is a huge Victorian building and the rooms and decor reflect this, which is not a bad thing. Our room was small but had everything we needed. From start to finish we found the staff exceptionally friendly and accommodating right from the reception staff to the waiters in the restaurant. The food was very good and drinks were very reasonably priced. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Imperial if you are looking for something more than the usual Guest House.

Room Tip: One of the lifts was not working and there was usually a queue at the other one so if you have a pro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank trueblue1883
Alison G, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in my Hotel and that you apprecaited the olde worlde charm of the place.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next planning to visit the area.

with kind regards

Alison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed for 1 night on Sunday 15th June. we were in room 125. I must say that the room was excellent, spotlessly clean (especially the bathroom). we did not make much use of the hotel facilities due to our short stay, so cannot comment on these aspects, but must say that the few staff we did meet were all immaculate, very friendly and more than willing to help.

There were only a couple of negatives which were a bit of a let down for me personally:

Firstly, I made my reservation via Booking.com, there was no mention of room only and B&B or DBB rates so I booked assuming we would be on a B&B basis. Once I arrived, I enquired If we could have room service breakfast only to find out were were booked in on a room only basis and that breakfast each would be over £24 extra.

Secondly, both booking.com and the hotels own website state that they provide free wi-fi, this is false as once you log on to the wi-fi you are allowed a minute amount of data before you have to pay extra. I wouldn't really expect to find this in a 4 star establishment especially as they advertise it as free!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ash S
Alison G, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us.

I am sorry that you did not find the bed and breakfast option on the Booking.com site. With regards to the WiFi, this is free 24/7 throughout the Hotel.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My business stay started with me being given a room on the second floor which I had trouble accessing. I asked the room next door to call reception for me as I could not get into the room. just as I managed to get into the room I noticed a hat on the table then a backpack - guess what. They had given me a room someone else has - could have been very nasty. The receptionist arrived just as i'd accessed this room and apologised, took me back down to reception to arrnge a new room and he did send a glass of wine. Room ok but pigeons outside were noisy. Thought i'd wash my hair and checked for a hairdryer - no hairdryer, so thought i'd call reception - no phone (surely a H&S risk). Trundled downstairs (only one lift working) to advise reception of hairdryer and phone. They did bring them to the room but suely housekeeping would notice? Maybe a nice hotel in it's day but more Fawlty Towers nowadays. Can't say i'd hurry back. On the plus side the staff were very nice.

Room Tip: Choose a diferent hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Annette1952
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that you found some aspects of your stay disappointing.

I am a proud Hotel Manager and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who, I believe, genuinely care about our guest's comfort and enjoyment. However, I would be naive to think that we cannot and do not make mistakes.

I do hope that in time you will consider staying with us again.

with kind regards

Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We chose this hotel for a 1 night stay after reading other reviews. On entering the hotel there was 1 member of staff on reception and a long queue as it was checking in time, we waited about 15 mins to check in and was not told about the breakfast arrangements, luckily we overheard other guests talking about it. When we went to the lift - our room was on the 4th floor - we were waiting another 15 mins because there were so many people using it, at this point our 4 month old daughter became agitated causing this to be a stressful time. When we got to our room the light in the doorway was not working, the fan in the bathroom was not working, there were raisins on the carpet which we discovered only when we had no shoes on as they were disguised with the pattern of the carpet. However the view was great, the bar staff were very friendly and polite and the breakfast exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Channy2014
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us, albeit a shame about the cleanliness issue in the bedroom, please be assured that this has been addressed with the housekeeping team.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

stayed at this hotel on the 14th june all in all we had a great time, watched England in the no10 bar, the bar staff could not do enough for you even though it was busy whilst England were playing, room spotless comfy beds, real good night sleep as well. breakfast was lovely, you could have a much or as little as you wanted, staff were very polite ensuring people had a nice time. yes there is a scaffold up at the front of the hotel but what do you want them to do they are only maintaining the grand old lady, puma hotels certainly are trying there upmost to get everything right, and credit must go to the general manager Alison Gilmore and her staff for trying to make everyones break as pleasant as it can be. thank you imperial hotel.

Room Tip: opt for a sea view room pay the extra you won`t be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank redstew3
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night mid-week on a business trip. The location is pretty good as it is right on the front and has a fantastic view. The hotel itself looks pretty traditional English seaside hotel. The staff were reasonably friendly and I didn't have to pay for parking when I'd been told I had which was good. Finding my room was a little difficult as the lift is in a strange place and then there are many winding corridors. My room itself was a good size, but all features were extremely dated. The television had poor reception and only about 6 channels. There was only a very small window which wouldn't open so it was quite stuffy. I found a used cotton wool bud in my bathroom but other than that it was fairly clean. I ordered room service for my dinner and it was absolutely disgusting to the point that I couldn't even eat it, so I wouldn't recommend eating here at all. Also all the other guests that I encountered seemed to be over 60 and all travelling in large groups so I felt quite out of place as a young business traveller on my own. I definitely won't be staying again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. In view of these, I have taken the liberty of sending you a message for you to contact me to discuss the issues you have raised.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel, I travel alone with my young son, and they made us feel very welcome, room was lovely and clean, not the best view, as it was of the delivery yard and bins, but that did not bother us, my son loved the variety at breakfast and ate loads, staff were attentive, we will Definately be back here....

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rhebaroo
Dear Guest

I was delighted that you and your Son enjoyed your stay, and the team made you feel welcome.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in the area.