“Great Hotel”

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Dewsbury
Reviewed 27 November 2005

Stayed at this grand hotel in November with all my girlfriend. The only thing i could possible complain about was the weather. There wasn't anything that was too much trouble for any of the staff. Everyone was great. The reception staff were great. They gave us a very good welcome on arrival. They insisted that our bags got carried to the room for us as it was our holiday and we were here to relax and relax we did. We used the bar quite alot as you do when on holiday and i must say that the bar prices are very reasonable. The bar staff were very friendly. The restaurant was outstanding. Especially the breakfasts. althought the evening dinner wasn't bad either. There was a great choice of food available from the carvery.
The room we had was a premium sea view. It was worth paying the extra money for this room as the view was breath taking. It was a large room and had recently being re-furbished. Very comfortable.
The fitness centre had everything you could want. Swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and gym. Time to go home and again our bags were brought down stairs for us and placed in the car. What a wonderful stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for value for money, comfort and positioning. Just out of town but only a tram ride or 10 minute walk into it.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,401)

Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 19 November 2005

It is 12.40am at time of writing, and the music from a function is still going on at deafening levels directly below our room at the Imperial Hotel, Blackpool. Infact, it is so loud that things are starting to vibrate! Reception have told us that this level of noise will continue until gone 1am, and given that we have paid well over £100 per night, I find this totally acceptable.

Having gone down to reception to complain, we were told we cannot be moved as the hotel is fully booked. They then said the music would be turned down, but it has not got any quieter. This is evidenced by the fact that I actually recorded it on my laptop, and hence have an objective measure of the sound level. On requesting a refund, we were then told that only the manager who arrived at 11.30am could consider this. Not very helpful when we were intending on leaving at 9am.

For a 4* hotel which allegedly the best in Blackpool, this establishment is, quite frankly, appalling. At this standard of hotel and for this cost, I don't expect to have my sleep disturbed to this extent. Nor do I expect:

a) lights not all working in the bedroom;
b) no waste bin in the bedroom;
c) insufficient towels;
d) microwaved scrambled egg for breakfast;
e) a wait of over half an hour at breakfast (at a non-peak time) for the staff to provide tea and toast;
f) windows which will not open (and no aircon instead).

If this is the best the Imperial can do, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. In no respect is this hotel worth over £100 per night, and if you value a good night's sleep, I would not recommend this hotel at all under ANY circumstances whatsoever.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2005

I have just returned from a long weekend at the Four- Star Imperial, Blackpool.

Approaching the hotel it was indeed magnificent, quite the nicest looking hotel in Blackpool. Parking was available on site (at a cost) which was also good. However the receptionist on arrival was miserable & deadpan. We were given our keys to our sea-front room only to find we had one of those much talked about tiny rooms over-looking the hotel bins. So I phoned down to reception but we could not be relocated. Of course this was not very pleasing when I had infact booked 5 months previously. So I was told the duty Manager would contact me to discuss.

Peace & Quiet:- Ha ha ha ha! By 8am the bins were emptied... the glass was tipped in to a container, it went on and on and on. Crashing & banging.

The Restaurant:- Set out like a Butlin's self-service canteen. The tables and chairs were set so close together you could not move, and the lay out of the restaurant was such that people wanted to squeeze behind you to get to the self-service area.
There was an elevated area of the restaurant with more room and was all together more spacious and more of what you would expect from a four star provider. However when we asked for one of these tables we were advised we would have to book. So the next day we asked to book, but we were told they could not be booked! It took someone tripping and dropping a cup of coffee on my lap before we managed to get one of these tables.

The Bar:- Laid out nicely but playing sports loudly on large TVs throughout the day and night. Not relaxing at all! More what I would expect in a pub.

Upon checking out I still had not heard from the duty manager so I asked for someone to come and speak with me. A lady appeared and said that the Manager would call me at home... Surprise, he/she never did.

This is the second Paramount Hotel to be hugely disappointing. They have low standards of service and no customer care at all.

I would not return to this establishment.

13  Thank Michelleandlee
Reviewed 30 October 2005

I too stayed during the Conservative Conference, when obviously everything is under pressure, but the hotel must make SO much money out of that event that I will make fewer allowances that I might. The faults:

The front-desk staff were temporary and didn't really know the hotel The dining-room had no trace of a reservation checked and re-checked in advance (but luckily fitted us in). The bar staff were incredibly amateur and slow, in the face of huge demand. The restaurant operates checks on wine orders that mean you're likely to finish your meal before the wine arrives. The place is terribly stuffy and overheated. The bedroom windows are legendary for not opening or for not staying open - no exception this time.

The food is quite passable, especially at breakfast.

Probably the best place in Blackpool but charges an arm and a leg on the back of it and I'm not sorry that neither of the political parties is likely to be there for some years.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
10  Thank TheOldTiger
Reviewed 10 October 2005

I stayed here during the Conservative Party conference in Oct, so any comments would have to be taken in the context of it being a pretty unusual fraught time for the hotel. Still, my room on the top floor would have been compact and musty at any time. It was clean though. I note with interest that a previous reviewer had problems with windows. I had to jam mine open with a book in order to keep it from guillotining my hands. The restaurant was extremely pricey - more so than London prices - and the food average so I would venture elsewhere for dining far better and far more economically. Upshot is, it's an OK choice as there aren't too many better in Blackpool but just don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank Zippitydoodah
Reviewed 21 September 2005

We paid more as it was my mum's birthday and wanted to stay somewhere a bit special. Three of us stayed in single rooms for two nights and later in a family room when my husband and children joined us on the last night.

All the rooms where pokey horrible, dirty, windows with sashes that had broken and blocks of wood holding the windows open as rooms were so hot. So dangerous we had to keep the kids away from the window in case it slammed shut and hurt them. (big heavy old windows)

Breakfast was very average but the restaurant staff were the best thing about this hotel very friendly given what they had to work with.

Reception was the biggest joke of the lot when we complained the lady said to us nothing surprises me about this hotel - UNBELIEVABLE! They messed our bill up and got very aggressive when I tried to explain to them that we had already paid lucky for me I had kept the receipt.

After reading previous feedback on this site we checked with the hotel to see if work had ended and were told it had. This was not true as buckets of dust and cement constantly blocked the lifts.

I could not recommend this hotel on any level it was not good value for money, It was not clean, It was not nice and it is not somewhere that me or my family would ever stay again!

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank Julieiom
bradford, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 September 2005

Stayed at the Imperial just for the one night in April 05, on arrival was impressed with the exterior of the hotel, even though it was partly covered by scaffolding. The reception area is truly breathtaking. Like stepping onto The Titanic. The staff were very helpful, extremely polite, and smartly turned out. I am writing this review after staying at another hotel which was a total shambles (The Norbreck Castle) and every time we passed The Imperial we gazed wistfully at the Imperial wishing we had stuck to what we knew about it.

The room we had in The Imperial was small on the top floor but was elegant, clean and extremely adequate for us.

The facilities were brilliant, clean and very accessible to all. The food was lovely and the staff again made a big fuss of you, the dining area was oppulent if a little cramped, which is the only bad thing I can say about this lovely grand old hotel.

• Stayed: April 2005