“Trust me, I'm Greek!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Trust me, I'm Greek!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well, this is going to be easy. Everything was fantastic. The atmosphere, service, food, prices, absolutely everything. I've been meaning to visit this lovely little restaurant for a long time now. The menu is compact which is great as I can take for ever to choose, although as they have selected some of the best and most popular dishes it was still difficult.

We had the Prawn Saganki and Loukaniko & Halloumi to start. Prawn Saganaki is one of those dishes that in theory shouldn't work. Feta cheese, prawns and spicy tomato sauce mixed together? Really? Yes folks, taste sensation let me tell you. Plenty of herbs, especially basil, and the combination works really well so make sure to order some pitta to adequately dispose of all the sauce. The other starter was equally tasty, but you can't really go wrong with good wine soaked village style pork sausages and tasty Cyprus sheep's milk cheese. One of the best taste combos out there. The sausage was cooked just right so all the subtle flavours came through and the cheese was prefect too, nice and soft. I particularly liked the presentation of the Loukaniko which made the pieces look like mini octopus.

Onto the mains where we chose Kleftiko and the Fish Platter. Kleftiko was a lamb shank served with potatoes, carrots and shallot. The meat just fell off the bone but was full of flavour and the accompaniments were equally flavoursome with just the right softness without disintegrating. Fish Platter consisted of a lovely white filet which had been expertly cooked so that it flaked off the skin but was still moist and delicious, large mussels that had been topped with an incredibly thin crust which was delightful, a whole kalamari that had been cut into rings, floured and fried plus some king prawns. The whole lot was served with a small salad garnish, half a lemon and a side of divinely sweet oven potatoes.

We also had the obligatory Horiatiki Salata (village salad) which comprised of a mix of very fresh and crisp lettuce, cucumber, tomato, red onion, green pepper, black olives and feta. It was very lightly dressed, but personally, that's better than being drowned in dressing to the point where it's all gone soggy before you've eaten half of it.

All this was assisted on its way down with a delightful bottle of Retsina, which I think is still far too underrated a wine in this country. Go to the supermarket and buy a bottle. Try it with seafood, nibbles or just in a paper bag on a park bench. You won't be disappointed, unless it's raining when you're sat on that bench and your paper bag is getting soggy.

Anyway, to round off an already pleasurable evening, we found a small space for dessert. The Baklava is made in-house and is to die for. Sorry mum, but it shouldn't be downed in syrup (luckily she doesn't go online). The crispy top complemented the chewy, soaked base and the crunchy nuts.

Nothing bad to see here folks, keep moving along, all the way to Go Greek. Seriously, if you haven't been, GO, GO, GO!!!
Trust me, I'm Greek .....

• Visited July 2014

Darwen
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our fourth visit to this fantastic restaurant, food is always so tasty and service second to none! I would highly recommend any greek food lover to come here as it's a truly authentic greek heaven!! Will be back

• Visited July 2014
“Great food, slow service”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The food was excellent value for money. We had the early bird menu and everyone enjoyed their food. We had a variety of dishes including one vegetarian. The only thing that let the visit down was the service. The start arrived around 10 minutes after ordering but then we had a long wait for the main course. 40 minutes. The staff weren't very attentive, we had empty drinks on a couple of occasions and had to go and grab someone to get them after waiting 15 minutes.
Couldn't fault the food, great homemade chips.

• Visited June 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The meze's were amazing”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had booked the restaurant and meze's in advance for my husband and myself. we arrived to a friendly welcome a good seat and fantastic service. The food came very quickly and was a delight to eat. The chicken and pork kebabs were wonderful and the lamb was to die for. Next time we are in Lancashire I will not hesitate to book again.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Lynne P
Blackpool
“Another lovely meal”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Visited on Saturday evening and had another lovely meal here. The restaurant was busy but the food arrived in good time and the service was good. The menu is just the right size, not too many dishes so it's easy to decide and the specials have been different every time I have visited. There are a number of nice Italian restaurants but very few Greek around the Fylde coast so for something different it's great. Highly recommend the home made pitta bread.

• Visited May 2014