“Depends what your looking for!!”
Review of Vance Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Vance Lodge
Co Durham, England
“Depends what your looking for!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We've just arrived home from a "family weekend" in Blackpool. After reading the Vance lodge reviews on trip advisor and what Vance lodge actually says about itself we were all excited about going. One of the things they said was about sometimes being able to park in the street, you can't, it has double yellow lines on both sides so ended up paying an extra £30 parking charges. When we arrived it was late, we were met by a little lady who didn't have a clue who we were or where we were staying, we had to tell her what rooms we had booked and she just gave us our keys and that was that. Once we found our rooms we came across a group of young lads on the landing and I was quite annoyed as we had three young children and didn't think they allowed this, it states they only have families & couples, no groups, stag/hens. There was a strong smell of smoke in the whole place and being non-smokers this wasn't pleasant at all. After we'd unpacked a man which I'm assuming is rob came to our room as we still needed to pay and was quite a pleasant guy but didn't give us any information he just told us to not let the kids jump on the bunk beds, if we need any towels we could get more.
We went for a little walk afterwards and if your going for the nightlife then you are in the right place it's just literally a stones through from some pubs but once again it was a bit much for our young ones. It was ok through the day though as your near shops, coral beach arcade and near the tower. Once we got back to the "hotel" more of a hostel I would say when we open the main doors we had the awful smell of gutters/drains in the reception area and there dogs were barking at us, another thing we didn't know about. Beds were ok but smelt a bit stale and look a bit worn out, towels smelt nice and clean though. In one room we had a double bed with ensuite and this was alright size but the family room there was barely room the swing a cat. Bathrooms were clean but one had a dirty razor left in there (family one, great for the kids to get there hands on) I'm not a one to write bad reviews but after reading all of the other reviews and being excited about a lovely family friendly place to stay I must admit we were quite disappointed. As a family were used to stay in budget places but nothing has been like this. Like my title said, it depends what your looking for, if it were just me and my husband on a night out there, then I'm sure it would of been fine (minus the horrendous smells of course) but I was with my kids and thought we were getting something better. I know we weren't in the main area for party goers but there was still a few drunks out on a night time around our hotel so wished we'd of got a place with a pub/cafe part in so we could all sit together and have a drink or two instead of having to go out as our rooms were too small to sit all together. Hope this helps if you have a family like us, I wish I'd saw a review like this before we booked as we'd have never of went. Like I said its good enough if your just a young couple looking for a cheap place to go for a weekend but I think not for families.

• Stayed October 2013
Robert P, Owner at Vance Lodge, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
What a ridiculous review !!! ....These people turned up late at night and the children were extremely boisterous... They asked my mother in law if they could pay their balance by paypal, when they were clearly told when booking, that the balance was due cash on arrival.........I have NEVER had either stag or hen parties staying here, and the young people they are referring to were in fact 4 VERY well behaved and delightful couples who have stayed here before. Smoking is NOT allowed on the premises, and we regularly check for this.........As far as a smell at the entrance is concerned, please check all our previous trip advisor reviews, and you will not see this EVER mentioned. We work very hard to maintain decent rooms at an excellent price, and any reasonable person would respect this. These people would NOT be welcome here again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
huddersfield, west yorks.
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Whilst attending the Rebellion Festival in August, my wife and i stayed here for the 2nd successive year. It's cheap, but not cheap and nasty. You get a clean room, with good host's, in a quiet area, for a knockout price. We've booked again for 2014 and if you're hoping to stay in Blackpool you'd be a fool not to yourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Been 3 years running now.location is spot on and really cannot be beaten on price.we have a family room 4 of us.great owners.just down road plenty of cafes for a cheap breaky or mc.ds on corner..parking is main carpark near coral island easy walking distance to vance road.karen x

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank speakekaren
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Me and my husband go to blackpool quite a lot and rarely book. This time we very lucky to find the vance lodge very friendly clean and great value for money we hope to return to blackpool next month for the lights and will be booking in to the vance lodge thanks for a great stay Mr and mrs Duffy (Halifax)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Lesleyduffy
Deganwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

just had a week at vance lodge,right from the start Janice and rob made us feel very welcome,they had good knowledge of area and gave good feedback on local places to visit and places to eat! we stayed in room 4 which accomadated 2 adults,5 children and my twins in travel cot (rob will do his best to fit you in rooms and is more than happy for little ones to bed share etc),room was spotlessly clean and we didn't have any probs with late night disturbances as vance lodge do not accept stag/hen partys etc,the lodge is in centre so you are just a short walk from attractions and shopping centre.the cost of our room was excellent value for money!! if you looking for a cheap and cheerful family holiday in good location with friendly hosts then go for it,...we hopefully will be visiting again next year.thanks again to you both x

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank janet j
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Lovely people who made you feel welcome. The room was clean and tidy with enough space for myself and 3 teenagers. The price of the room was very competitive.It was close at hand to all amenities which was great but at the same time wasnt in a rowdy area. Would definately use again:)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Janice and Rob made us feel very welcome, rooms were large, spacious and clean, they were very helpful if we needed anything and very friendly. Would definitely stay again, only minutes from the winter gardens where we went to Rebellion, and near to shops and cafes

• Stayed August 2013