“Still Brilliant, But Hurry... Last Train Leaving Soon.”

Carneskys Ghost Train
Ranked #50 of 80 things to do in Blackpool
More attraction details
Owner description: THIS IS NO ORDINARY GHOST TRAIN... YOUR DESTINATION: NOWHERETake a frightening fairground ride through a maze of darkened tunnels inhabited by incredible live 'ghosts', creepy animatronics, spectacular magic illusions and moving stage sets!Following several earlier homes around the world, Carnesky's Ghost Train is now permanently located in it's true spiritual home in the heartland of the British seaside - Blackpool, situated opposite Sandcastle Waterpark on South Promenade.Created by award winning theatre producer Marisa Carnesky, the Ghost Train is part ride, part visual theatre and part scare attraction which cleverly combines contemporary attraction technology with age old theatrical illusions.During the 10 minute experience guests hurtle around deserted tunnels driven by a mourning mother, desperately seeking her long lost daughters. But all is not what it seems, as a story of disappeared daughters and phantom trains is delivered in four dimensions.Suitable for audiences of all ages, Carnesky's Ghost Train is a frightfully fun experience that will leave you screaming for more!
Marton, null, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Still Brilliant, But Hurry... Last Train Leaving Soon.”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

"Not such a long time ago, not so far away, there came to pass a terrible war..."

This not your usual fairground animatronics and cheap effects, but a theatrical event complete with scripted narrative. Beginning it’s undead life at London’s Brick Lane back in 2004 (appropriately, the vicinity of Jack the Ripper’s activities) Marisa Carnesky’s Ghost Train came to make Blackpool its permanent home. Climb aboard if you dare and experience the strange tale it has to tell.

Upon purchasing the ticket to ride, the audience are then ushered into a waiting room, where a disembodied voice relates the tale of two young sisters who, at the outbreak of the Great War, take a train journey and mysteriously disappear. The voice finds a body as you are then confronted by the first ghost who mourns the two missing girls and their lost souls.

Then it is time go out on the platform and take your place on the train. The driver has human form, but no face. Then, the train sets out upon its journey and suddenly you are interacting with ghoulish station keepers and scenes of the two missing youngsters in life; one is evocatively playing in a high swing, the other is reading a book. The undead station mistress initially menaces the passengers as they pass by, before herself becoming trapped and pleading for help. The ride ends with the three protagonists waltzing with skeletons to an eerie violin concerto.

The show totals several minutes, and those minutes do linger long after the ride is over. Apart from the opening narration, there is no dialogue and the story is delivered through a series of unforgettable images steeped in victoriana and burleaque, Eastern European music, lighting and, yes, punctuated with some sudden shocks. This experience is definitely not for the faint hearted, but a must for those with fire in their imagination.... But, hurry. The ride is soon set to close. Let us hope it re materialises in a new home soon.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Barry M

• Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not as good as it used too be!”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Went on this when it was new to Blackpool before it got put there permantley. First time I went on this which was probably about 3 years ago now, it was brilliant it had been well thought out. I had never seen or been on anything like this before it is a real life ghost train and is a fantastic idea. However they were then given a permanant position, 3 years on I went to Blackpool again and before I went I checked what was there me and my family could do (as you do!) and seen that this ride was still there. Couldn't wait to go on it so of course, as soon as we arrived went straight on it. The train in itself was just as good as I remembered, however the actors were below average, definately not as good as the 1st time I went on this only a few years earlier. It was the last ride of the night so it just seemed too me that they were making little to NO effort to the performance at all - it as extremely rushed. They were just constantly shouting you couldn't understand a word at what they were saying. If I hadn't had been before I would't have been able too tell what the story was about. It wasn't scary at all it was just terrible, the guy who was playing the dad must have been about 17 and the lady who was playing the child who was missing was probably about 40 odd it just wasn't very well thought out this time around. I love having a scare and a bit of fun as much as anyone but this was just in your face screaming. Maybe I just went the wrong time of night where they were just rushing to get done - I don't know. Overall I was very disappointed. Just not as good as it used too be!

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Becky3280
Durham, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Different but.....”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

......be careful where u sit. The actors throw themselves into this completely and it is thoroughly entertaining in that respect. I was sat at the back of the train and sadly this meant I did miss a few of the events so make sure u sit at the front.

This is so different from anything that u would normally associate with ghost trains and it's worth a punt at four and a half quid for that alone.

It's not particularly scary but then again spiders terrify me, the dark and scarily dressed actors don't so I guess if u don't like that sort of thing then u should really really try it as it will terrify you.

Overall it's unique and I like that sort of thing but please sit at the front so u don't miss anything like I did

1 Thank Cooky1972
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It took alot for me to go on this because I actually have a fear of ghost trains due to one scaring the life out of me as a 3 year old. There are only 2 or 3 ghost trains that I will go on and one of those (in the pleasure beach) is only because I've researched it and know it's layout anyway. But, the idea of a ghost train with live actors in just made me want to experience it myself.

I'd carried out a little research before hand, just to get some background information really and I noticed that you go around this "a few times", ranging from 3 to 5 times from what I've read, but my trip only went around twice and the who thing was over in 10 minutes. 5 of those were standing in an empty "waiting room" with nothing happening. Once on the train, it stopped at a ticket office thing for several minutes with 2 actors turning torches on and off and going "boo" for far too long (it seemed like 5 minutes, but must have been about 2 or 3) and on the second lap very little had changed!

The final effect of the girls dancing was pretty good and the actors were clearly into what they were doing, but I can't help but feel cheated as we only went around twice and very little happened! As we got off the train I could hear a few people say "is that it?" so I obviously wasn't the only person who was disappointed.

It gets 2/5 for it's concept and for the fact that the ticket office woman was very friendly and the actors were good, but at £4.50 was far too expensive for what I got. It needs a bit of a rethink in my opinion!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank BermondseyBob
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“i loved this attraction , you must go !!!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

surreal , beautiful eerie , and in the great British tradition of the Funfair ghost train , reasonable price , (if you pick up a flyer in the tourist info centre you can get a £1off ) ive wanted to see this for ages , and finally got there , not disappointed , wish I could have had two rides ! I wish I could have taken photos inside tho ,

Visited September 2013