“Too sleep, not admire!”
Review of By the Beach Hotel

By the Beach Hotel
Ranked #66 of 73 Hotels in Blackpool
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and my boyfriend came here in the start of february for the weekend friday till monday, and when we arrived the man at the reception was polite and give us our keys and made our way up to our room. When we got in the room it was a bit small, but at the end there was only me and him in there so i didn't complain. The bathroom wasn't the most modern one i'd ever seen but it had a toilet, shower and sink so it did the job. The bed was really comfy and it had white and black bedding on with nice carpets and we also had a kettle in our room with tea, coffee, milk and sugar. We was in town both nights and the man who was on reception was still up at 5am too let us in which i thought was nice having all round the clock staff on. Overall, I would recommend this hotel as it was lovely and clean, I never write reviews because some people are just picky on what they get, it has a bed, TV, shower and a toilet so why is everybody making it out too be a bad place? Its $35 a night what do you expect the hilton? No, but if i ever do go back too blackpool this will be the place for me. Small, cosy what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beth G

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed here in may 2012. Came with my girlfriend and another couple. The hotel is located literally next door to the pleasure beach and right on the sea front. We paid £40 per room per night. Which I personally think is an absolute bargain. The rooms have a bed and shower? what else do you need? perfect for one day and night out to be honest. The room me and my girlfriend were given was TINY. Wasnt bothered by this as I didnt intend to spend any length of time in the room. However, the room the other couple we were with were given a lovely spacious room with a bay window. So I guess its just luck of the draw what your given.
All in all, the hotel was absolutely fine, especially for the price. Dont expect luxary for £40 a night!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dale c
Reviewed 13 May 2013

A group of 6 adults & 1 baby, stayed one night. This place has a hostel atmosphere and its definately a no frills hotel. Yes its a hotel not a B&B, so you pay extra for breakfast, this consists of buffet with sausages, chips, fried egg (no choice of scrambled or poached), hash browns, beans juice, cereal, banana's and you make your own toast. No bacon and frankly using your religion is a poor excuse, we're not asking you to eat it just cook it, so you can serve pork, chefs do it everywhere else, I am in the catering business so I know they do. The rooms really need more attention to cleanliness, but I believe some improvements have been made since earlier reviews as our rooms were clean. Mattresses awful though and noise travels through the rooms, typical of these converted buildings. Staff were friendly and very accommodating with our needs for the baby and sorted candles and plates for a birthday cake for one of our group which we had in the bar with a few beers. The parking/car keys issue, this is a practise many B&B's use and we've never had a problem with it before, however they arranged for us to park our 3 cars in a line so it wasn't a problem here. Although this hotel was value for money, I probably wouldn't return for anything more than one night. Tip for Manager, you need to update your website it's misleading in some respects.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandie310863
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I know the prices to stay here are cheap but forget it. This place is dirty , small rooms and I mean small , dirty bed sheets, dirty bathroom . When you walk up the stairs you get an overwhelming smell of the old shake and vac but on this occasion it did not put the freshness back . I would not recommend this place to anybody !!! Stay well clear

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank steve47Sheffield
Reviewed 16 April 2013

NEVER in my life have i EVER felt so disrepected from b&b staff when having booked to stay, talking to eachother in your own language when checking your arrivals in! Not only that FALSE ADVERTISING in your website causes issues! NOT only did you mention FREE PARKING with the b&b on the website, you then FORGET to mention ALSO on the website the note found on entrance door saying 'Please leave keys with reception just incase we need to move your car but will hold NO RESPONSIBILTY for any damages that maybe caused' SO anyone deciding to stay there, be aware of the alternative that you will have to PAY & DISPLAY if you drive an expensive car & are not willing to leave your keys!!! That will cost you an additional £13 or a 45min walk depending on the length of your stay!! Breakfast is also NOT included as AGAIN stated on the website as a B&B then to find out its actually a hotel so that will cost you £4.95 each! The facilities within the double room you stay if done on a late deal are basic but thats expected, but you wont find a wardrobe so ladies if you have that dress you want to wear or men a suit dont expect to find anywhere to hang it safely! If your privacy is not an issue then you wont mind the fact that all you will have up at your window is your curtains & no net/blind so they will be drawn most of the time for your own privacy & the space to move is limited!! You will want to demand your money back & stay else where & be aware that this hotel & its staff will ruin your weekend / stay right from the start so thanks for allowing me to enjoy the worst weekend i have had in a long time!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank carlos9986
Reviewed 12 April 2013

First impressions of the hotel were quite good. The parking was a bit awkward, luckily I got there early so I was at the front but people who got a space further back had to leave their car keys in reception so the staff could move the cars if they were in the way, which if that was me I wouldn't be happy about! Check in was really fast got the keys straight away and added on breakfast for a small cost (manager was slightly arrogant looked at you as if you where a bad smell under his nose). We was on the third floor we had only booked a small double room, the stairs where quite narrow and steep and was a bit nackerd by the time we got to the room. Once in the room the last people's rubbish was in a bin bag on the bed and a few long brown hairs on the pillows, bit gross but where not ones to make a fuss so just sorted it ourselves. Had a really good sea view in our room but the bed! I could feel every spring which was annoying plus the bedroom
Walls were seriously thing and could hear every thing in the corridor. Breakfast was good the next morning, buffet/self serve, there was staff behind the food stalls watching your every move and felt a little bit uncomfortable by this. All in all it's a reasonable hotel for a cheap price, you really do get what you pay for, it's in a good location for the pleasure beach but for night life, you'd be walking about half an hour to 45 mins, also wouldn't recommend for people with walking problems there's no lift and the stairs are knackering.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and get there early to avoid parking problems
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This 'hotel' is very old with a newish Indian restaurant as the main dining and bar area. The accommodation section is very dated and tired. The price quoted on the booking website did not include breakfast although this was not made clear when we booked for one night. When we arrived to check in, we were asked if we wanted to pay for breakfast. Not impressed. It was approx 4.95 for adults and 3.95 for kids. Then we went up to our family roomwith a double bed and a bunk bed for the 2 children. The metal bunk bed squeeked quite badly with any small movement so the children tried to fix it by stuffing the loose joints with tourist leaflets! Small improvement, but the mattresses were very lumpy with huge springs being easily felt through the thin coverings. The double bed wasn't much better either. The night was a hot and difficult one where none of us slept much as the heater was on all night and the problems highlighted above.
Then down for breakfast. I was hoping for a good cooked breakfast for the prices we paid but was very disappointed to be told there would not be any bacon on the full English as the owners were Muslim. I am not Muslim or even remotely religious so was very put out that the customer was not being catered for properly. The breakfast consisted of fried egg, mushrooms, a sausage (unknown meat!) a hash brown and some stir fried onions and peppers!!!! Very strange. Overall, it was ok but just not quite right.
This place was too basic and the standard just too low for us to really say it was worth the price. So glad we only had to stay one night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family