“value hotel”

Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Newport, United Kingdom
“value hotel”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just returned from my stay in Blackpool ! good value hotel the staff were very friendly and helpful the rooms were good for the price paid which must be taken into account when reviewing hotels . The carlton is a short walk from the town centre and ideal if you want to avoid the noise of the crowds. Breakfast was excellent with good choice of food only let down by the FRESHLY brewed coffee which was weak, cool and tasteless on the three mornings of my stay . I had faulty tv on my first night which was dealt with while I was out for the evening and the next morning shower was faulty (im an engineer mr on reception not an idiot who cant use shower controls) but think caused by hotel being full . I Had three good night sleep and was not bothered by any noise from other guests . Blind on bathroom windows would be good as you feel exposed using shower . This hotel was excellent value for money but wish id booked last minute as I booked with bookings dot com 2 weeks ago, and the day before I travelled the double room was on offer for £58 less than I paid ! but I suppose that's the chance you take .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
AshGaur, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to post your feedback about your experience at the BEST WESTERN CARLTON HOTEL.

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am truly delighted to note that we were able to meet up to your expectations and you enjoyed the service levels at the hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel to be excellent value for the money you paid.

To address to your comment regarding the last minute deal, I would like to inform you that, there are very rare chances of having a cheaper deal for room on Last minute deal as compared to early booker deal. It is just one of those rare instances where in, you might get a cheaper deal last minute mainly because of the weather conditions.

I would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest and I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Ash Gaur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Room 219 is tiny. This must be the smallest double room I have ever stayed in. I mentioned this when we checked out and the receptionist just shook her shoulders with a shrug. Apart from that the hotel is Ok. It's clean and the breakfast was cracking. It's buffet style and the staff are attentive. Plenty of parking which is a bonus in Blackpool. They have a decent bar that is well priced. I found the staff very present and helpful

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am delighted to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us except for the size of the room.

To address to your comment regarding the size of the room, I would like to inform you that we strive hard to compensate the product with service. Also I am sure you would have definitely found it to be a good value for money.

Guiseley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from our 2 night stay at the Carlton. Upon arrival the receptionist told us that although we had booked a double room, because we had booked the room only 24hours before arrival (through booking.com) they were fully booked and we would have to be put in a smaller than average room and could be moved in the morning. We went up to the room 220, opened the door and it was the size of a cupboard!! We were even more baffled that there was NO BED in the room!! But was obviously a single sized room. We went straight back down to reception to complain and be moved. The receptionist asked us if we would like to leave our bags and go out and go for a meal whilst they sorted us a different room, we waited. It took about 10minutes for a new room to be sorted, so we then went back up to room 221. Again, opened the door and a very small single room. This time there were 2 single beds crammed in the room (obviously the bed from 220!!) 2 bedside tables had been abandoned at the end of the bed(s) along with a buffet. There were hardly any lights so the room was dark and dingy, but we could see the thick layer of dust on the mirror, so back down to reception again!! This time we spoke to the manager and he said he would see if there was anything he could do, and if not we would have to accept something complimentary? Again, we were asked to go out of the hotel whilst they sorted something, we waited. This time we were taken to another room, 106. This was a twin room, and a better size, not great, but better than the other two so we stayed here. The bathroom was quite small, tired looking and in need of a facelift, the paint on the windowsills is coming off, the bath enamel was all coming off, rusty pipes under the sink etc. This room was also dark and dingy due to lack of lighting and the view out of the window was a yellow wall. In the morning we were woken up by the sink and bath making loud draining noises from people in other rooms having showers. On our second day, the key card reader on the door broke, so after a lot of trips up and down stairs with different key cards, the engineer had to come and open the door, and fix the door.
The one thing that they did get right is the breakfast, it is a buffet of cooked breakfast, contiinental, fruit, cheese, cereal, toast, tea, coffee and juices. Everything you could want and was very nice.
It is a 10 minute walk to the bars and nightlife. We got the tram down to the pleasure beach as it was a long walk and there is a tram stop right outside the hotel. It is a 5 minute walk from blackpool north train station. We drove and there is a car park, but dont put money on been able to park in it!!
Overall a very dissapointing stay, the whole place needs a revamp as its tired looking and out-dated. It doesn't look anything like it is advertised online. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Blackpool hotels

Cumbernauld, Scotland, United Kingdo
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here with my elderly parents in law. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to their needs. We encountered a few problems (the lights fused one night and the bathroom flooded on another) but these issues were dealt with promptly and effectively. I agree with the previous reviewer the decor is a little tired and the carpets are a little worn but the staff are lovely and the food excellent. I stayed in room 202 which is a single room, the bathroom was quite modern but I would have preferred a curtain on the frosted window. Overall it was a very pleasant stay and I have to mention Sanjay the operations manager who was very very nice and makes a good Tia Maria coffee!.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
AshGaur, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am truly delighted to note that we were able to meet up to your expectations and you enjoyed the service levels at the hotel. I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding food and service provided by my dedicated team members.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Nice to return here after a long absence and experimenting with other hotel brands in the resort. I chose to travel by train this time as Blackpool North station is an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel. However, it is one of the few promenade hotels in the resort with a car park big enough for you to park in a conventional manner without doubling up and getting blocked in by other guests cars. No problem checking in just after midday, nor leaving my luggage behind for a few hours on checking out. My single room was at the back of the hotel and while the noise insulation against the passing traffic outside wasn't up to much, the level of noise overnight was minimal and caused me no problems getting off to and staying asleep. I paid £6 for breakfast at check-in rather than be charged £9.95 on the day and I felt it was very good value. All the hot items were well cooked and kept suitably hot on the buffet. Blackpool has had a lot of money poured into it over recent years, but an awful lot still remains to be done to drag it up to a standard that would want me to return.

Room Tip: Better to be facing the prom rather than the road at the back
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am truly delighted to note that we were able to meet up to your expectations and you enjoyed the your stay with us.

Hullbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

A classic hotel but the decoration is a little tired, but it has character. We had a room overlooking the sea. Very competitive prices. Food good, breakfast and dinner, including a choice of Indian food. Staff helpful. Car park in front of hotel. Trams pass the hotel with a stop opposite. A stroll along the front to the tower takes about 15 mins. Would stay again, enjoyed our one night stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ear Valued Guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am glad that you enjoyed the location, character of the room, food and service provided by my dedicated team members.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that plans are in place to refurbish our hotel next year.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel is a little bit worn around the edges but our price reflected this. It was cleaner than most hotels I have stayed in and the staff were excellent. I would happily stay there again. The lady who checked us in and out was lovely and has a lot of local knowledge which we found really useful.

Room Tip: We booked a twin room which was on the side of the building and a bit dark but we didn't spend m...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrsLB53
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us and to be of service to you. I am happy to note that we were able to meet up to your expectations and you enjoyed the service levels at the hotel.